advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth hormone injections

Default Growth hormone injections

Hello,

Our daughter is not growing appropriately, and has crossed a couple of growth percentiles (10th, then 5th, now 3rd). We have had several lab tests done and are getting ready to (potentially) start growth hormone. Just curious if anyone else with type 1 in a toddler has experience managing growth hormone and insulin? Also, how long growth hormone shots were needed and how painful they are to a little one? Thanks for any and all advice.

Jennifer
    Mom to Sammie, diagnosed Type 1 at 9 months
    Jen
    Mom to Sammie, diagnosed at 9 months
    Pumping with purple Medtronic Revel

What did you determine was the cause of the changes in her growth pattern? You don't say how old your daughter is but is is possible that this is just a normal fluctuation in growth?
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 16 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

My DD was on them years ago before she was diagnosed with diabetes. At that time it was for a CF study trial and we had to use vials. Not a big deal it's alot like using insulin except it was a once a day shot. Once she got used to the shot she never complained of it hurting.

We didn't see great results with it though. She tried it again a few yrs ago and it was in the pen form. We didn't see much with that one either. She did both for about a yr. She is now almost 15 and might hit 5 ft when she stops growing. I'm just chaulking her lack of growth to genetics. I'm short, my mom was short, my husbands mom is short, with the exception of one or two all the women on both sides of the family are short.

I don't know how the shot will affect the blood sugars or anything like that. I believe on average kids are on the growth hormone for a few years but can see results with in a few months of starting it. GOOD LUCK!

Jen.

No experience, but I believe another poster said that the insulin needs go up dramatically, just as they do during normal growth spurts.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

I have no experience, but hope that you have all the tests that you need to move toward growth.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Jared spent about 3 weeks on growth hormone injections prior to our insurance denying coverage. His insulin needs increased by about 30%. It actually seemed to kick start his growth and he grew 1/2 in while on it the 2 more inches in the 8 mths following which is more than he had grown in 2 years. He has started puberty so at this point we have some natural growth hormone production.
    Stacy mom to:
    Jared DOB 6/17/99 type1 dx 12/04
    dx Growth hormone deficient 5/12
    Omnipod 4/08-12/12 Dexcom G7 3/12
    DexcomG4 12/12 Animas ping with
    contact detach and Novalog 12/12
    Alex DOB 3/19/97 non D , ADHD and Aspergers

Wife to John dx with Celiac disease 5/13

Quote Originally Posted by jlh0920 View Post
    Hello,

Our daughter is not growing appropriately, and has crossed a couple of growth percentiles (10th, then 5th, now 3rd). We have had several lab tests done and are getting ready to (potentially) start growth hormone. Just curious if anyone else with type 1 in a toddler has experience managing growth hormone and insulin? Also, how long growth hormone shots were needed and how painful they are to a little one? Thanks for any and all advice.

Jennifer
    Mom to Sammie, diagnosed Type 1 at 9 months
    I have one son with Type 1, my other son was dx'd with Growth hormone deficiency. He wasn't dx'd until he was 15 1/2. He was 5'2 at the time. I am 5'9 and his dad is 5'11.

He was on GH for 2.3 years and grew a little more after that...He is now 6'3. He is still skinny but feels better that he matches the rest of the family. GH is not just about height, it can affects more areas of growth than that. I would definitely do it with a confirmed dx'd.

The shot is once a day with a pen just like the ones used for D so the shot is the same other than being once a day. I hope this helps

GH will make them as tall as they would have been if they weren't deficient. It's correct that it wont make them tall if their genetically short. My son with D is 17 and 6'2.
    Last edited by Heather(CA); 03-29-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

Thanks so much for the responses, very helpful!
    She is actually 3.5 years old, but we have been following the slowed growth since she was about 1.5. She is now the shortest in her whole preschool, and they even had to install a separate, lower soap dispenser and paper towel holder for her. I hope that this will help us.
    Jen
    Mom to Sammie, diagnosed at 9 months
    Pumping with purple Medtronic Revel

I hope your insurance covers it we thought ours would. He went though all the testing and He qualifies for it medically but our insurance flat out denied to pay for it. Funny they paid for all the testing and no one ever said a word. We have BCBS of ills.
    Stacy mom to:
    Jared DOB 6/17/99 type1 dx 12/04
    dx Growth hormone deficient 5/12
    Omnipod 4/08-12/12 Dexcom G7 3/12
    DexcomG4 12/12 Animas ping with
    contact detach and Novalog 12/12
    Alex DOB 3/19/97 non D , ADHD and Aspergers

Wife to John dx with Celiac disease 5/13

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredsmom View Post
    I hope your insurance covers it we thought ours would. He went though all the testing and He qualifies for it medically but our insurance flat out denied to pay for it. Funny they paid for all the testing and no one ever said a word. We have BCBS of ills.
    Are you fighting with them? My son's Endo put the request in expecting a fight. They didn't put up a fight but I got the impression that most do

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!: