advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First sneaking food and lying about it

Default First sneaking food and lying about it

So we have our first Lie behind us. For the last 3 weeks my 6 year old daughter was going upto 300 in school and we could not find out why. She swore, she did not eat anything else, but today with confrontation with another girl, the other girl told me she eats 2-3 bisquits from her lunch box everyday. How do you handle this? Firs I could not believe it bacause my daughter was crying and saying the girl is lying. After about half hour of me investigating she at the end said that yes she does ask her to give some.
    I have shouted at her a bit, tried to explain how dangerous it is if she eats and does not give insulin. She swore, she would never do it again but I am not sure what to do. She can almost always eat what she wants and if high she keeps all the sweets in the box for hypos.

Pls help
    Sophie 5, born 12.05.06 DXD Nov 08, CGMS with MM, Last A1C 6,5
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

I think I would buy some cookies for her lunch, count the carbs and include the carbs in her insulin. Ask her to help you plan what goes into her lunch.
    Susan
    Grandma to Hailey age 11 dx type 1 age 4
    pumping with Omnipod since 8/09
    and Faith age 7
    and now little Macey Ella age 1 year Dx with allergies to nuts, wheat, eggs, and soy

True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life, in whatever shape they may challenge us to combat.

Napoleon I (1769-1821) Napoleon Bonaparte. French general.

Sorry to hear what happened. I think the best thing you can do is explain to her like you did how dangerous it's to lie on what she eats because she can get really sick. The education route is the best way to go because you are not going to be with her all the time. The other thing you can do is tell her school friends not to share food with her because she needs to eat her own food and also talk to her teacher.

Good luck i have 21 month old twins one with t1d and I have to always supervise meals and snack time because I discovered that during snack time she was taking her sisters snack and it was causing a spike.

Sorry I don't have better advise but hope I hope you approach her in a way that she could always talk to you without fearing that you will be mad at her.
    Mom of twin girls:
    DD dX @ 21 month
    MDI: on Lantus and humalog
    CGM dexcom G4

Absolutely what Sooz said. You are mad at the disease not your daughter. She is doing what kids do. Let her know that you support her having more to eat when she wants and will find a way to get her insulin to match.

Handle it well now and you may get lucky and not have it come back at you bigger in a few years.
    Father of Andrew T1: diagnosed Oct/2009 at age 6. MDI, NovoRapid via NovoPen Echo, Lantus via syringe. Stopped using NPH.

Without being accusatory or getting into a shouting and crying match with your daughter, sit down and speak to her about the importance of getting insulin for everything she eats. So, if she is hungry and wants something else, that's OK. She just needs to tell someone so she gets what she needs. Discuss with her how it will make her feel lousy without the insulin and you don't want her to feel sick.

I guess that she just wants to be like everyone else at school and wants cookies (aka biscuits) in her lunch box too. Give her some also and include it in her lunch bolus.

This is one battle that if a huge deal is made out of it, will turn into a much bigger battle as she gets older. Diabetes stinks. No argument there. But, your daughter is only 6, and sometimes, this is just what 6 year olds do
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Sounds like she wants a snack. See if you can arrange she get insulin for her snack. Life on insulin doesn't have to be that regimented - one does need insulin for the carbs eaten.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by sooz View Post
    I think I would buy some cookies for her lunch, count the carbs and include the carbs in her insulin. Ask her to help you plan what goes into her lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach bum View Post
    Without being accusatory or getting into a shouting and crying match with your daughter, sit down and speak to her about the importance of getting insulin for everything she eats. So, if she is hungry and wants something else, that's OK. She just needs to tell someone so she gets what she needs. Discuss with her how it will make her feel lousy without the insulin and you don't want her to feel sick.

I guess that she just wants to be like everyone else at school and wants cookies (aka biscuits) in her lunch box too. Give her some also and include it in her lunch bolus.

This is one battle that if a huge deal is made out of it, will turn into a much bigger battle as she gets older. Diabetes stinks. No argument there. But, your daughter is only 6, and sometimes, this is just what 6 year olds do
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy C. View Post
    Sounds like she wants a snack. See if you can arrange she get insulin for her snack. Life on insulin doesn't have to be that regimented - one does need insulin for the carbs eaten.
    I just want to echo the above comments. And also to suggest that you pull back from the "danger" talk. A cookie is not "dangerous", a 300 blood sugar is not "dangerous". Beach Bum is spot on - it will make your dd feel bad to have a cookie without insulin and it's important to stress that you want her to feel her best and be able to have a cookie and to do that she needs a bit of insulin.

D kids in general, and D girls in particular are so much more at risk of eating disorders that you do not want to make any foods appear to be off limits or toxic. Food is complicated enough when you have to dose for almost everything, no need to make it even more complicated by laying on guilt, shame and fear.

I know they lying is probably bothering you more than the eating of the cookie, but it's a long, long road and if she's made to feel too constrained the lying will continue. You two are a team and you are her first teacher when it comes to learning how the balance her diabetes and her life - stress the problem solving rather than the problem.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

What the others said. Plus, she's 6, she's growing all the time, she will be hungrier at times. Get her to tell you what she'd like to take as snack and praise her for telling you when she eats something and lets you know. Please try to hold back on the scare part.
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

thanks all for the replies. Yes, I am more upset about lying to me than cookie. She knows she can have if she wants one and she gets it regularly. I also understand when she sees other kids lunch boxes filled with all the junk makes her to be tempted to try. I have tried to talk to her today, she promised she will never lie again, so lets see.
    Sophie 5, born 12.05.06 DXD Nov 08, CGMS with MM, Last A1C 6,5
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

Quote Originally Posted by zuzinka View Post
    thanks all for the replies. Yes, I am more upset about lying to me than cookie. She knows she can have if she wants one and she gets it regularly. I also understand when she sees other kids lunch boxes filled with all the junk makes her to be tempted to try. I have tried to talk to her today, she promised she will never lie again, so lets see.
    LOL, oh she will Even the vey best of kids, the most honest, good, lovingly parented kids tell "stories" when they are confronted with a situation they feel they cannot manage. It would happen with or without D. D just makes it more complicated and when you as a parent are working so very hard to keep the blood sugar in check, the food lie is like a punch to the gut.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS