advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estimated pump adjustment period

Default Estimated pump adjustment period

I am smart enough to know the answer to this somewhat falls under the YDMV...but how long does it take to adjust to the pump from MDI?

My son feels he is ready to move that direction but as we look at our summer plans (summer camps, several trips..then tackle football at the end of August in the HOT Texas heat), I don't see an ideal time to make the move. Perhaps I am thinking it'll take more time that it will to dial in his settings and get the hang of it?

We have a pretty good system going with MDI, but he is just flat out tired of all the shots...and it's his diabetes.... so of course, we'll do whatever he thinks will make it easier.

Just looking to y'all for some idea of what to expect. Thank you in advance for your input. Y'all are a wealth!
    Laurie
    Mom to JT, 13
    Dx 8/10/11
    MDI, Lantus & Novalog 8/11 - 7/13
    Medtronic Revel & Novalog 7/13

It took us around 6-7 weeks before we weren't often scratching our heads trying to figure out what was what. It just took us a while to get the rates right, the technique of inserting the sets, and learning NOT to put in a new infusion set before bed! DD ran low the first few days (due to residual Lantus, I think) then she ran high until we adjusted the rates through trial and adjustment. The second week, we went for a week trip while Molly was on the pump and things weren't horrible. We just felt a bit more anxious with something new and knowing that there was more need to problem solve with highs because there were more pieces and parts to the equation. It's so worth it!
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

About 6 weeks or so. I almost waited until school was out for the summer, but I decided to just jump in as soon as possible (which ended up being 2 weeks before school was out). I'm glad I just jumped and didn't wait. The first month was a bit of a challenge, but after that I was able to manage the essential elements of the pump and could spend a bit more time learning to use all of the features to our advantage. Of course, I'm still learning but I do think it is great. You may want to make sure to get extra infusion sets and reservoirs. I wasted several during the first month learning to get them into my son's tummy.
    Mommy to Two Angels...
    Kara (10) Non-D
    John (7) D-Diagnosed 11/11
    Pumping with Medtronic Paradigm Revel 5/12

Romans 12:12,"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
    Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you."

The first week was the worst. After that, it became normal fairly quickly....a month at most? Everyone's experience is different.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

FWIW
    There is no perfect time for anything T1 related. So... Just do it and be comfortable with the idea that you may have crazy numbers for one week or 8 weeks but if most of the time you are under 250 and above 50 then one or eight weeks of kooky numbers means nothing over 70 to 80 years of the disease. Just relax with the numbers and the site changes etc are easy quickly. I like using the steel sets initially as that eliminates questions about sites. Good luck. Ali

How about a happy middle ground?

Keep the Lantus or Levimir and use the pump to bolus on demand?

my dd was Dx at 13 months and on the pump full time from 18months till about 7.

Cheerleading killed her A1c, and D care was just plain old hard. Harder than MDI.

We decided at the end of last shool year to try "un-tethered pumping" and it is a happy household. Her pump lives with her meter, only being taken out to bolus and we have been able to get her A1C back down to 7 or below, from the high of 8.5 when she was cheerleading.

We do a full basal from a Lantus shot but others do a % of basal if their child is very active when off the pump. My dd is active but more so for 3-4days of the week rather than all week.

I mention it because not every endo is supportive, heck, our office downright does not believe that her sites are staying clear and open between hockup's.

I have not seen an issue with a site, yet I do see clogging/buildup on the end of tubing after 10-12hours during the night. But I simply "prime' the tubing to make sure flow is going.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by MomofSweetOne View Post
    The first week was the worst. After that, it became normal fairly quickly....a month at most? Everyone's experience is different.
    This is what we experienced too. A rough first week, a couple of weeks to get the hang of site changes, etc., and then smooth sailing.

We loved it from day 1, though.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

Quote Originally Posted by Hstntxag View Post
    I am smart enough to know the answer to this somewhat falls under the YDMV...but how long does it take to adjust to the pump from MDI?

My son feels he is ready to move that direction but as we look at our summer plans (summer camps, several trips..then tackle football at the end of August in the HOT Texas heat), I don't see an ideal time to make the move. Perhaps I am thinking it'll take more time that it will to dial in his settings and get the hang of it?

We have a pretty good system going with MDI, but he is just flat out tired of all the shots...and it's his diabetes.... so of course, we'll do whatever he thinks will make it easier.

Just looking to y'all for some idea of what to expect. Thank you in advance for your input. Y'all are a wealth!
    It was a good solid 6 weeks here of difficulty. We did it over Christmas break and it was well into February before we felt we were on solid ground again.

My son has played tackle football for several years, both on pump and shots, we've tried adding lantus with pumping and not, so have advice when it comes to that (also in Texas heat!).

Pumping is worth it, and there probably is no good time, just do it.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

Quote Originally Posted by Hstntxag View Post

If you can operate a cell phone you'll be able to adjust to a pump, so in that regard, it's quick and easy. The mechanics of it are a piece of cake. Just a few days to say "oh, this is how it works..."

Then there is about a week or so where you start to adjust to how your child reacts to having no long acting insulin in his system. That was the hardest part for me. I knew how certain foods and certain activities worked. But without lantus it was a new ball game. So that was about a week or so.

then there are the weeks that follow where you're fine tuning things, which you'll do until the day you stop using the pump. But those aren't difficult times, you're simply just adjusting to life, which you're going to do all the time. That's why you get a pump.

So personally, I'd say a week or so of some what nuttiness.
    son, age 13; dx 2005 @ age 5
    Pumps:Cozmo 2006; Revel 2010
    CGMS: MM 2010; Dexcom G4 2013

~ one week.The transition was much smoother and easier than I expected.
    We love the pump since the very first day .

Mom to 13 yr old dd, dx 10/2011
    OmniPod 5/2012
    Dexcom G4 5/2013