advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle Birthday Parties?

Default How do you handle Birthday Parties?

Hi all- My daughter is at the age where her friends are starting to have drop-off birthday parties.

In the past it was fine, we would just hang around, or stop back at the party, test & take at the appropriate time without an issue. But now is the point where there are no other parents staying at these parties or they are going someplace where the guests are being treated to the venue and it is impossible for me to tag along or drop in.

So what do you do in these situations? (She's 8)
    Last edited by Mom2CNC; 02-26-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    I am T1 Dx 1986, pumping with Animas Ping
    Mommy of DD1, nonD, DD2 T1 DX 2011 pumping with Animas Ping

how old is your child?
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    how old is your child?
    She's 8
    I am T1 Dx 1986, pumping with Animas Ping
    Mommy of DD1, nonD, DD2 T1 DX 2011 pumping with Animas Ping

Is your DD able to check her blood sugar and know what a low/high number is?

Around 8 is when I started feeling OK with dropping her off at a party. She carries a cell phone with her and has a CGM, so that gives me much more peace of mind. If it is at her friend's house, I speak to the child's parent briefly before I leave and let them know DD has Diabetes and that she can manage it pretty much on her own, and try to find out what foods will be served. Then, before DD eats she checks her BG and calls me and we try to guess the carbs and she boluses.

For parties in a public place, I still hang around if possible. For instance, she recently went to a party at a supermarket with a Cooking School. I dropped her off and then did some food shopping while the kids were making/cooking the food, but stopped back when they started to eat to help her count carbs and bolus.

I would do whatever you and your DD are comfortable with, even if it means you stick around at the party until you're both ready to drop off.
    Linda, mom to:
    DD, 11, dx'd 2008
    Animas Ping with Apidra 4/2009-8/2013
    Dexcom 7+ 4/2009-11/2012
    now using T:Slim with Novolog and Dexcom G4
    Hypothyroidism 2010

DD, 8, non-D

Honestly at 8 I still stayed. Now at 10 she has play dates without me but a party has so many variables I like to stay.
    Roberta
    homeschooling mom to 4, incl Maris, age 12, dx at 19 mo., Recently hit the 10 yr anniversary!!
    former Cozmo user, now on MDI of levemir and novolog
    Dexcom G4 user since 12/13
    Looking to connect to other families dealing with diabetes in New England? Check out: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...swithdiabetes/

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2CNC View Post
    She's 8
    Mine is 8 also, and I have so far never left her at a party by herself. Stayed at a party till 1130pm once in leu of a sleepover.

Every party is so different, foods, activity, inactivity, never know.

When I RSVP I just let them know that I will be attending with her so that she can fully participate in the celebration. I also mention that I will be happy to help in anyway with the party and have always found that the extra hands are welcome.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Hana was 8, almost 9 at dx.
    I let her go to the parties fom the beginning. She has a Cell phone. She would text me her blood sugar about an hour after drop off and again when eating. She would tell me what she ate and bolus after she ate. Once she ate all the sugary stuff and pizza, I didn't worry about her going low any more. Usually the parties are fairly short. Under 3 hours.
    She's now almost 12 and does sleepovers and went on a school retreat for 2 nights on her own. I still worry but with cell phones, we are always in contact. It will be even better when she gets her CGM.
    Aimee in New Jersey
    mom to Sean (14)- non D
    Hana (13) T1 dx 3/3/10
    Case (10) non D
    wife to Scott
    Pumping with OmniPod
    Dex G4

I usually just have a conversation with the mother about what they are eating and then leave her a list of how much to dose. She's actually gluten-free so a lot of times, she's taking her own pizza and cupcake to the party anyway. A recent party, the mom basically had a "buffet" of foods and fruits - I just wrote down how much the carbs were for each and then when it was time to eat, Emma just looked at the list of what she chose and then calculated her carbs. She really wants to be like the other girls and staying at a party by herself is a big one. She's been counting her carbs for a while and can probably rattle off a couple dozen carb counts herself - she knows how to read a label and determine serving size and carbs for full and partial servings. She's not as good at swagging yet, but that's why I usually check out the food and write down anything she might need to swag
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 13
    Emma - 8 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping!
    as of 9/07
    CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

If I recall correctly, I would ask what was being served when I dropped her off and then, since food was usually the final act, I'd leave her there and just come back for the last 30 min. She'd check her bg before getting out of the car and since she has always been pretty spot on about lows, just take a juice along in case. The exception was parties at arcades, bowling, paint ball etc. Then I'd bring a book and find a corner and keep an eye on things.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

My son is 8, diagnosed at 3, and we've only done one party where I dropped him off. It was at a house just on the other side of our subdivision, and I could be there in about a minute. I gave him a cell phone, and had him call me when they were going to eat. (Pizza, of course. ) I went over and dosed him and prayed for the best.

It was nuts, but his BG was actually perfect. I only dosed him for 50% of the pizza, garlic bread and ice cream and didn't do a square wave at all because they were running around like maniacs. He was like 103 when he came home, and BG was flat all night.

But a party at an arcade, pool, bouncy house place? Yeah, I'd still stay. He has a CGM and all, but he is just not ready to handle that combo of food and activity. I would never ask another parent to take on any of the D-duties.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)