advertisement

Thread: 3 year developed a fear of inserting cannula! Pls help

Default 3 year developed a fear of inserting cannula! Pls help

Our 3 year old developed a fear of pain when inserting cannula. He has been diagnosed just over a year ago and has been pumping ever since the diagnosis. He has always been cool about changing cannula especially as it has always been done whilst he was watching his favourite cartoons. Then one day he went absolutely hysterical when he saw the needle and now he wriggles his bottom so much these days that we really struggle to insert it correctly for the first time. My husband and I are as emotionally scarred after such ordeal as our son and we can hardly hold the tears back. Usually, we put Emla for 1.5hrs before so we doubt very much it actually hurts. We started changing cannula at night when he asleep is but if he wakes up and realises what we are doing it is very dramatic for him. We already tried to show him that it does not hurt by putting Emla and then inserting cannula on mum,dad and then on a teddy and he was happy to do it all but when it was time to do on him it he started to cry and wriggle his popo. If you could may be give us some tips we would very much appreciate.
    Mother to a 3year old boy dx Dec 2011. Accu-chek pump, Humalog

I'd suggest that you speak with your diabetes care team about a different infusion set, one that hides the introducer needle completely during insertion. There are a couple of options for every insulin pump.

Also, there is a faster numbing cream called LMX4. It works in about 15 minutes and is available over the counter in the US.
    Jeff Hitchcock - President and Founder, CWD
    Father of Marissa (BSN, RN), now 26, married, and mother, dx'd at 24 months

Take a look at the Omnipod. Insertion is just a click of a remote control. You never see the needle.
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 15, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8, Type 1 and Celiac, Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Now using Dexcom G4 CGM, loves to sing

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

We've also used EMLA, but we wanted to move to something a little faster-acting, so we tried the "Buzzy," and it's worked really well for us. It vibrates really quickly with a small ice pack and "confuses" the nerves near the site.

http://www.buzzy4shots.com/
    Type 1 Diabetic since 2001. Minimed 722 with Novolog and CGMS.

Dad of Emma, age 9, diagnosed at 9 months pumping with MM REVEL CGMS and Novolog. She also has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Glomerular Nephritis, Multiple-Autoimmune Complex, along with lots of other stuff that makes doctors shrug and say "I dunno."

Brenden, aka "Rhino" age 14. Starting tailback for Clovis Freshman Academy (had to say it).

Husband of Emmasmom.
    www.toosweetboutique.net

Do all you can to take the emotion out of the process. Prepare for the set change behind the scenes w/o him knowing it is coming, i.e. get out all the needed supplies, fill the reservoir, tubing, etc. Don't feed into his drama, keep it all matter of fact and make it as quick as possible. I know I sound mean, but perhaps let your son know that from now on the set change is going to be done fast and w/o regard to the carrying on. It is what it is, and must be done. Period. Doesn't mean as a mom you might not shed a tear in the bathroom for the injustice of all this...but outwardly I have found a "get it done" approach to work best for us.

Mom to DS (12), dx'd Jul 2004, pumping MM since Oct 04, CGMS since Oct 06
    Also Mom to non-D son (14) and non-D daughter (6)

I agree with everything above. A little bribery worked great at this age too - that is really dependent on the child. Maybe a chart with a sticker and every so many set changes he gets something he would be excited to have - or do a favorite activity, etc.

We used to have his older brother come in and do a "funny show" - he would act silly and was quite entertaining - sometimes going on well after the set change. That worked the best for my kid.

I personally went through a time that I almost couldn't bear to put the needle in him (we use Rapid D's so the needle is like push-pin and you can see it). My son was being fine with it - there is just something about seeing it coming. I almost had to bribe myself - ha ha! I like the idea of hiding the needle using a set with an inserter.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Our 3 year old developed a fear of pain when inserting cannula. He has been diagnosed just over a year ago and has been pumping ever since the diagnosis. He has always been cool about changing cannula especially as it has always been done whilst he was watching his favourite cartoons. Then one day he went absolutely hysterical when he saw the needle and now he wriggles his bottom so much these days that we really struggle to insert it correctly for the first time. My husband and I are as emotionally scarred after such ordeal as our son and we can hardly hold the tears back. Usually, we put Emla for 1.5hrs before so we doubt very much it actually hurts. We started changing cannula at night when he asleep is but if he wakes up and realises what we are doing it is very dramatic for him. We already tried to show him that it does not hurt by putting Emla and then inserting cannula on mum,dad and then on a teddy and he was happy to do it all but when it was time to do on him it he started to cry and wriggle his popo. If you could may be give us some tips we would very much appreciate.
    Hello,

I was much older then your son when I started pumping but I do remember that for us the EMLA was more trouble then it was worth. I found putting in on and waiting would cause me to anticipate the pain and get me worked up. I was putting my own sites in from the beginning so perhaps it is different if a parent was doing it. This may be a horrible idea but perhaps if you just swabbed the area quickly with an alcohol wipe then stuck the site in, it might be less of a production.

The above suggestion for a site that inserts automatically is also a good one. I believe you can use the inset sites or the cleo 90s with your pump.

I hope it gets better for you....
    Meg
    College Junior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

anotherone for Cleo 90 if your set is a Leur lock. The needle is not seen and it is a simple push to the area.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

In the early days when my son was diagnosed, he would get hysterical at every single blood check and injection. He was on MDI, so this was a horrible time, of lots of crying. I was a mess. However, he did end up getting used to all of this rather quickly, probably within a couple of weeks. I found that mentally, I had to keep telling myself and him, that this was good for him, this was saving his life. I also found that doing things quickly and matter of factly was the best approach. My husband tended to like to talk to him through it, but I found this just prolonged the hysteria. One day, it was like a light just switched for him and he realized that this was going to happen regardless and he might as well get on with it. I did find that in those first few days, his greatest distraction was having friends over. He didn't want to cry in front of his friends, and more than anything he really wanted to go back to playing, so he would just get the shot over with quickly. I would try to find some pretty big incentives to getting the job done and as he gets comfortable with it again, you won't need to offer so much.
    Mom to T, 8yrs dx: Aug/2012
    and son 11 yrs, non-d.
    Animas pump June/13
    Dexcom G4 Dec/13