advertisement
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Effects of Obamacare, costs skyrocket on insulin

Default Effects of Obamacare, costs skyrocket on insulin

I just found out yesterday that the costs of a vial of insulin went from $10 to $50. For me with two diabetic children that will increase my monthly costs to around $200 from $40...something we hadn't planned for. We are still working with our insurance company to triple check this but so far they say it is accurate. Anyone else run into this? Tell me it isn't true.

We pay the same this year as we did last year. No change for us.
    ~Christina
    My son is 15, dx'd 10/03/06
    Omnipod and Dexcom G4

Quote Originally Posted by Jparr View Post
    I just found out yesterday that the costs of a vial of insulin went from $10 to $50. For me with two diabetic children that will increase my monthly costs to around $200 from $40...something we hadn't planned for. We are still working with our insurance company to triple check this but so far they say it is accurate. Anyone else run into this? Tell me it isn't true.
    Welcome Jparr - I see this is your first post...

What does your post content have to do with your thread title?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

No change for us. This sounds more like an individual insurance issue than anything political. Just my two cents!
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

I don't know yet what my insurance will charge me for insulin this year but it hasn't been consistant from one year to the next yet.

By the way, the retail price of a vial of insulin in the United States has not been down to $10 in decades. Currently the cheapest vials of insulin, retail, from Walmart, are $25 (for Humulin N, Humulin R, and Humulin 70/30).
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by Jparr View Post
    Setting aside the specific numbers you quoted...

There is zero doubt that Obamacare will raise costs on all of us significantly and in a variety of ways - think in the tens of thousands of dollars when all is said and done. However, not every increase is a result of obamacare. The costs of a number of health care expenses were already rising. So just how do we know when something becomes more expensive how much of the increase was going to happen anyway and how much is due to the increased taxes, regulatory burden, or unseen consequences? At this point I would not look at specifics and look at a larger picture aided by the use of economic principles to separate out other costs. I am not qualified to that but there are plenty of articles on the web detailing plenty of costs. If insulin did increase from $10 to $50 and that were the only increase we could have all considered ourselves extremely extremely fortunate.
    Alan father of daughter with T1D born 2/2005
    Diagnosed 9/07/10, MDI,
    Son with T1D born 11/00 diagnosed 7/1/14

I was upset when J's co-pay went from $5 to $25. $25 is a quintuple jump!

However, knowing that cash price for insulin is $100 per vial, and we get 4 vials per month at $25 I am very happy. I honestly don't know how we could afford to keep J alive if we had to pay cash prices. I know he wouldn't be pumping any longer. I hope that day never comes.

Things do increase over time. Everything does. I agree it's hard to know what is due to Obamacare and what is due to "natural causes".
    Kim
    Mom to:
    Jessica, non-D age 20
    and Jackson, D age 16 Dx Jan. 2010
    Pinging with insets
    CGM'ing with the G4!

ours went up significantly as well. It's very disappointing...we struggle as it is. It's not like there is a generic available.
    Mom to 4 kiddos:

Cory 19..going to be a soph at IU!
    Kristen 17 nonD
    Hannah 15 nonD
    Molly 13, D dx'd May 13, 2008 Graves disease
    MM 722 pump Novolog
    MIO infusion sets
    current a1c 7.6 (8.0,9.2,8.4,9.0 ,8.2.8.4,8.2,8.1,7.9 previous)
    in the middle of puberty he**!

Is it possible that the copay is less for a different brand of insulin? We switched from Novalog to Humalog because the copay for Novalog was increasing, but Humalog wasn't. Just a thought.....
    Caryn
    Mom of Noah 20 non-d
    Drew 17 (dx - 12/05 ), pump break as of 4/13 (previously using Medtronic Revel 12/12 )
    Kyra 13 non-d

Quote Originally Posted by Denise View Post
    ours went up significantly as well. It's very disappointing...we struggle as it is. It's not like there is a generic available.
    Walmart's Humulin R, Humulin 70/30, and Humulin N are available at less than half the cost of any other insulin on the market ($25 for a thousand unit vial) ... I say that's a generic that's available (although I know it's not technically generic). My insurance does not encourage me to switch though... they'd rather pay $75 for Novolin R. I don't get it, but I pay less that way.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13