advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump or CGM? Can only pick one.

Default Pump or CGM? Can only pick one.

Just wondering for those with lots of experience with both pumps and CGMs, which do you think contributes more to effective BG management? Obviously hypothetical and convenience issues aside. Thanks.
    Son - Age 10 dx July/12. OmniPod Dec/12. Dexcom G4 Feb/13.

I heavily favour the CGM for supplying the information required to manage better. The pump helps by supplying variable basal settings which can shave a few points off your a1c but the CGM information that allows you to fend off lows early and catch highs sooner and really see how different foods combined with exercise changes things helps the most.
    Father of Andrew T1: diagnosed Oct/2009 at age 6. MDI, NovoRapid via NovoPen Echo, Lantus via syringe. Stopped using NPH.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
    Just wondering for those with lots of experience with both pumps and CGMs, which do you think contributes more to effective BG management? Obviously hypothetical and convenience issues aside. Thanks.
    If forced: pump,but mostly because his basal needs just weren't met with lantus, he has such a strong dawn phenom and would wake up high, nothing but an early morning correction would fix it. Factor in the non stop eating habits of a teenager too! On MDI we were constantly having to figure out if he needed a correction or if he still had IOB, etc. Pumping helps with keeping track when you have a kid who eats...and eats...and eats some more.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

Quote Originally Posted by nanhsot View Post
    If forced: pump,but mostly because his basal needs just weren't met with lantus, he has such a strong dawn phenom and would wake up high, nothing but an early morning correction would fix it. Factor in the non stop eating habits of a teenager too! On MDI we were constantly having to figure out if he needed a correction or if he still had IOB, etc. Pumping helps with keeping track when you have a kid who eats...and eats...and eats some more.
    The pump for the very same reasons! For our daughter, it just gave her a huge psychological boost in the direction of feeling normal again!
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

CGM

We started my dd on the CGM at 4.5yrs after have been DX'd since 13 months. The CGM especially the new G4 Dexcom allows us to not poke her finger so much and can make decsions so much more easily because we can "see" what is going on. It makes everything easier for us.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

I can't imagine giving up either one. I would never want to go back to the tears of Lantus (I was told after switching that the injection site hurt the entire 24 hours) nor ask my daughter to give up what takes away so many injections. It also allows us to bolus in ways we didn't. The temp basals and ability to quickly reduce or increase basal is a safety help with puberty.

The CGM...is a life-saver. Puberty is crazy and dangerous. I wouldn't sleep at all without it these days. Sleep is a precious and rare quantity with it, but at least I can dream of things other than diabetes.
    Last edited by MomofSweetOne; 01-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

William has pumped since he was 2 years old - 6 months after diagnosis - and he is almost 11 now.

For those of us who have pumped for a long time it is hard to say because I don't have any idea at this point how well he'd like shots, how easy or hard it would be to fit into his lifestyle and eating habits, etc.

I suppose if you're on shots now and getting good result and generally happy then I'd add a cgms. If shots/MDI isn't getting good results and you hate shots - then get a pump.

My tendency is to say get a cgms because that feedback is so valuable and I think it keeps you safer from lows. Pumping gives you so much flexibility that it is hard to imagine not having it either.

>>> I"m editing to add that I originally thought you were really being forced to choose! For answering the question I think I'd say cgms. You might not be as happy with the lessened flexibility of MDI (depends on how you eat, so many factors!) - but knowing the numbers 24/7/365 would help you the most with having the best BG numbers. I think this goes for the majority of people - there are probably some people who cannot achieve a good result with MDI because of challenging basal needs so for them the pump might be the best option.
    Last edited by selketine; 01-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

I really really love both! However, I would choose the Dexcom CGM. I don't think I could go back to not knowing what his numbers were doing. The 2 hr start up for the CGM about kills me to not know which way he is headed.

We probably would have had a lot more very scary or maybe even deadly lows without the CGM, so I couldn't give it up.

As others have said though, I can't imagine not pumping either. I'm really glad we don't have to choose but can have both.
    Caleb - 3 yrs old
    T1D dx 2.12.12 at 2 yrs old

04.2012 - Using Dexcom 7 - LOVE IT!
    7.16.12 - Pumping with OmniPod on diluted Humalog

If Isaac were older at dx I would have just chosen the CGM, the pump is best for Isaac due to it's ability to give accurate small doses of insulin for basal and bolus...but once he's older that won't be as much of a factor. Starting to use the Dexcom after the MM has made me really appreciate the insight from an accurate CGM that lasts long and has had minimal pain with insertion.
    Not sure if that helps, but it depends on what your childs needs are right now.
    Sarah
    wife to TJ (t1d for 20yrs) MDI lantus/humalog
    mother to Ethan (non-d) 8 years old
    and Isaac (dx 11/09 at 19 months old) 6 years old, pumping on MM Revel (6wks post dx) with Novolog and Dexcom G4 (love it!!!)
    ~dx with Celiac Disease July 2013

pump - my daughter HATES injections...
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 12, dx'd @11 months.

Keep Calm and Treat the Number