advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra sad at Christmastime...3 mos since diagnosis

Default Extra sad at Christmastime...3 mos since diagnosis

My sweet little 6 yr old boy was diagnosed almost exactly 3 months ago. I find this extra sadness growing inside of me as we near Christmas, and I'm not really sure why. Perhaps the sentiments of the season make it that much easier to reflect on the life I had imagined for him, versus the life now laid out before him.

On the other hand, DH and I have begun talking about looking at pumps , so I'm hoping that will give me some renewed hope.

Wishing you all a merry, beautiful, sweet holiday!
    Mom to W 6yrs old, diagnosed T1 9-19-12
    MDI Novolog & Lantus
    Considering a pump in the spring?

Also mom to little Miss V, 1.5 years old, non-D

It is easy to get sad sometimes, especially when we are over tired with holiday preparations. The thing is, there are very, very few things your son won't be able to do because of his D. Pro football? No problem. Race car driver or Olympic athlete, no problem. Supreme court judge, no problem. Great husband and daddy, no problem. It will all become clearer to you as time goes by, and you will love having a pump! D will actually make him a stronger person in some ways. He will be able to soar!
    Susan
    Grandma to Hailey age 11 dx type 1 age 4
    pumping with Omnipod since 8/09
    and Faith age 7
    and now little Macey Ella age 1 year Dx with allergies to nuts, wheat, eggs, and soy

True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life, in whatever shape they may challenge us to combat.

Napoleon I (1769-1821) Napoleon Bonaparte. French general.

Quote Originally Posted by aherbrand View Post
    Perhaps the sentiments of the season make it that much easier to reflect on the life I had imagined for him, versus the life now laid out before him.
    Your feelings at this stage are natural. However, make sure that as time goes by, you realize that your son's life is not "laid out" for him in some pre-determined manner. It will be what he makes of it. Just like all of our lives are. We all have our crosses to bear, diabetes or not, and it is the manner by which we bear them that determines our happiness and success our lives are filled with. Also remember that the approach you take to his diabetes will impact him significantly and will, in many ways, color the way he approaches his illness.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 16 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

My little boy was diagnosed about 4 weeks before Christmas last year. To be honest, I tried to keep a smile on my face for my children and cried in my room, car, shower, etc. every chance I got. I was an emotional wreck and it was the only Christmas season I ever lost weight in my life...about 15 pounds because I couldn't eat.

Your sadness is part of the healing process. Please know that it is a process and things WILL GET BETTER. I've no doubt you are overwhelmed in every way and very tired, which makes matters worse.

Having said all of that, you will get into a routine and the overall experience will get MUCH EASIER before too long. You will have ups and downs (just as I still do in adjusting basals and boluses and getting completely stumped by stubborn glucose levels) but overall it will become second nature to you. Most importantly, YOUR CHILD WILL BE FINE!!!

Others may disagree, but this is how I think of it...I think that before too long they will cure this disease or at least make so much progress in medical devices/treatment that having diabetes will not be nearly as invasive as it is now. My job is to keep his heart, liver, kidneys, eyes, toes and all of his other parts as healthy as I possibly can (by helping him learn how to control his glucose levels) so that when they do make major breakthroughs, he will be perfectly healthy.

I will tell you that on New Year's Eve, we watched fireworks and my son was cheering with excitement and yelled to me that it was the best night of his life. I will remember those words forever. It was the first time I realized that the disease wasn't controlling his life. I suggest you go out and rent the funniest movies you can possibly watch, check out a joke book from a library, whatever you can do that makes you laugh and laugh together. It will do wonders for your emotional state...trust me on this...you having nothing to lose.

Also, never hesitate to do everything you would normally do. Actually, make yourself do them if you have to. My son also eats everything he would normally eat during Christmas...we just try to eat the really good, fatty, sugary stuff early in the day so we're not up all night correcting.

Finally, I did visit with my doctor shortly after Christmas and he prescribed an anti-anxiety medicine for me that helped me tremendously. My doctor's response to my situation was that if it were him, he would be in the same place I was. So, don't hesitate to talk with your doctor as I bet he/she will completely understand.

P.S. I think you'll love the pump!
    Mommy to Two Angels...
    Kara (11) Non-D
    John (8) D-Diagnosed 11/11
    Pumping with Medtronic Paradigm Revel 5/12
    Monitoring with Dexcom 9/13

Romans 12:12,"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
    Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you."

Firsts are just hard. But really, it will be ok and hopefully the holiday spirit will be greater than the sadness.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

My daughter was dx decemer 19th last year. We got home from the hospital on Christmas eve. I feel your pain. I could barely get myself out of bed and everyone wanted to celebrate Christmas. Well, I was sorry but I was not much in to celebrating last year. I am however, looking forward this time, it will be better than last year for sure. You need time to grieve. It took me a good three months to not cry every shower I took, every chance I was alone, driving in the ar, you name the place, i cried a river.

Be strong, but allow yourself to feel.. Whatever you are feeling and however you are handling it, is right for you, and for your little one..
    And, p.s. Anti anxiety medication helped me for the first six months too, not gonna kid ya.

Good luck, and merry Christmas.
    Mom to Erin
    Dx 12/19/2011
    at 2 1/2 years old
    Four years old
    Pumping medtronic 5/3/2012
    Dexcoming g4 4/15/2013
    And loving it!!!!

Thanks so much...it has been so helpful to read your replies. I'm going to do my best to enjoy the season : )
    Mom to W 6yrs old, diagnosed T1 9-19-12
    MDI Novolog & Lantus
    Considering a pump in the spring?

Also mom to little Miss V, 1.5 years old, non-D

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    Firsts are just hard. But really, it will be ok and hopefully the holiday spirit will be greater than the sadness.
    This! My daughter was diagnosed a few days after Christmas. I wish she had been diagnosed before so she would have felt better. If it helps, know that your son is not thinking about diabetes at all this Christmas.
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Your feelings at this stage are natural. However, make sure that as time goes by, you realize that your son's life is not "laid out" for him in some pre-determined manner. It will be what he makes of it. Just like all of our lives are. We all have our crosses to bear, diabetes or not, and it is the manner by which we bear them that determines our happiness and success our lives are filled with. Also remember that the approach you take to his diabetes will impact him significantly and will, in many ways, color the way he approaches his illness.
    Absolutely...none of us has a clear path in life. I never imagined I would be the mom of a CWD...and yet here I am. One part of your son's "path" has changed...he now gets his insulin from the outside rather than the inside. Other than that...what can't he do now that you wished for him before? Eat candy? He can do that. Do well in school and have lots of friends? He can do that. Play sports? He can do that. Pursue higher education and get a great job? Fall in love and get married? Have kids and grandkids? Live a full and satisfying life? He can do ALL that. Have a life free of worries, bumps in the road, frustration, disappointment...well...none of us can have that.

His path is still as clear as it could have been before dx...make sure he knows that, and he will be fine.
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

I had a hard time my first Christmas with d... your first everything with d is hard because all your memories aren't tainted by diabetes and finger pricks.... and its not going to be like that any more=( everyone says just to not make it about d, but the reality is diabetes will be part of your day.... but it doesn't have to be the most memorable part=D you'll get through it and next year won't be as hard ((( hugs))))
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major