advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She thinks she's different

Unhappy She thinks she's different

Today Meredith told me she doesn't like to tell her teacher when she is low. Because she would be interrupting class and her teacher doesn't like that. I told her she has a free pass to interrupt with anything D related. Then she told me it makes her "more different" from the other kids in class.

I went in to school and talked with the teacher. The teacher has no issue what so ever if Meredith interrupts because of a blood sugar issue. We both talked with Meredith and decided that she could keep her supply bag close to her desk and test when she needed to and then let the teacher know. But that she absolutely can and should tell someone if she is feeling low. Even if it's another kid in class.

Now I'm worried and heartbroken.

Sarah Mom to...
    Holden 13
    Sydney 11
    Meredith 7 (dx 5/12/08) pumping 5/19/11 celiac 8/11 CGM 3/12 DEx g4 8/13
    Wife to Carl

http://sweetceliacandsiblings.wordpress.com

Oh...I'm so sorry she is going through this peer issue in Kindergarten! Though Molly was dx'd at 17, she was also upset about the "different" issue. I hope she eventually feels more comfortable with letting others know about her lows.
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

I'm so sorry. That is so hard to hear from your child. I hope that your arrangements make things easier for her.

Perhaps you can have a talk with her about the things that make ALL of us different? How probably everyone in her class has at least one small thing (or big thing) in their lives that make them feel as if they stand out or are different. Allergies, asthma, being an only child, coming from a single-parent family or going through a family break up, having red hair, not knowing how to ride a bike, being afraid of the dark, being very shy (my issue as a child...and very crippling at times), not being able to tie your shoes, not being a good reader, being adopted, being bad at math, speech problems...the list goes on and on. Yes, diabetes does make her different, but helping her to understand how even the most "normal" seeming kid can feel very different on the inside may help her to accept her difference and not feel any shame from it.

Good luck...hope things work out for you both.
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

We went through this.
    First, we along with teacher and nurses let her know that her interruptions were allowed, and that she was to alert the teacher whenever and wherever. The teacher said she could only help her if she knew that she needed help.
    Second, we and the teacher let her know that she wasn't the only one who is different, she used asthma, food allergies, learning disabilities as examples. She basically said that's what makes the world go round.

I know it's hard at this age to help them understand. Two great books we used were "Lara Takes Charge" and "Even Superhero's get Diabetes." Lara, in particular was really helpful for us.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

{{Hugs****

I am sorry to hear she feel different. In the past my son's teachers have partnered him up with another student who usually walks him to the nurse when he feels low. Maybe a "low buddy" would make her feel more comfortable. Just a thought. That is a lot of responsibility to put on another non-D 5/6 year old.
    Kristi

Tyler 13 DxD T1 7/2008 A1C 7.3 11/12! PUmper - One Touch Ping
    Step-son Gage, 15 non-D
    Husband, Shawn non-D

"Bad things happen to good people everyday."

Thank you for your support. I am feeling a little better. And I ordered the books Beach Bum suggested from Amazon.

Sarah Mom to...
    Holden 13
    Sydney 11
    Meredith 7 (dx 5/12/08) pumping 5/19/11 celiac 8/11 CGM 3/12 DEx g4 8/13
    Wife to Carl

http://sweetceliacandsiblings.wordpress.com

I'm just wondering if your DD knows that you blog about her D and her celiac?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Also point out that ANY and EVERY kid should tell their teacher if they are not feeling well for ANY reason. It's not just her but any kid could feel unwell, either with a headache or tummy ache or having to go to the bathroom or whatever. other ppl may have health problems that she doesn't know about and they may need to tell the teacher that there is something wrong. the teacher knows and expects it and she isn't different for not feeling well, even if it's b/c of a low bs.
    Last edited by denise3099; 12-21-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Denise,
    DD age 10, dx at 4 (Oct 2006), Pumping with pink MM since July 2009, added Guardian February 2010. Podding over the summer since July 2012. Dex 4G January 2013. Also peanut allergic and asthmatic.
    DS age 13, non-D, but peanut allergic and asthamtic too. Also Asperger's, ADHD, and a pinch of OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by denise3099 View Post
    Also point out that ANY and EVERY kid should tell their teacher if they are not feeling well for ANY reason. It's not just her but any kid could feel unwell, either with a headache or tummy ache or having to go to the bathroom or whatever. other ppl may have health problems that she doesn't know about and they may need to tell the teacher that there is something wrong. the teacher knows and expects it and she is different for not feeling well, even if it's b/c of a low bs.
    This makes me think back when I was a kid in school. We had to go to church every Friday morning and were not to move or make a sound. Not to ask the teachers anything. Face forward etc.

Classmate puked into her bookbag for fear of being disciplined for asking to go to the bathroom
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

I'm so sorry your DD is feeling that way :-( My DD is the same age and we haven't been there yet, but I'm sure we will eventually. I have no advice, but I think you have gotten some good advice so far.
    Debby, Mama to Molly, age 7, dx'ed 12/05/2011, Pumping Omnipod with Humalog
    most recent a1c (1/14): 7.4
    Dexcom start 03/04/14

and Henry, born 9//18/2013!