advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to do a 504?

Default How hard is it to do a 504?

Iíll try not to make this a long story, but I do want to give you some background. My daughter was diagnosed last January. So once she went back to school, we just followed the advise of the nurse there. She was on MDI and had tons of lows. Repeated lows triggered migraines. She spent tons of time in the nurseís office. Honestly, this was so new and overwhelming I just followed their protocol already in place.

This summer she went on the pump. It made a huge difference. Her control is way better. Thatís not to say she doesnít still have lows and highs, they just arenít as frequent. And her migraines are gone. She attends a Catholic school and is in the 8th grade. The nurses are provided by the public school system in the township. Right before school started I had a meeting with all her teachers and the office staff. None of the nurses attended as the township schools started a week after us and they did not have to report to work. As it is, one nurse is only in the building about 3 hours a day. The office staff is wonderful and well trained. (Last year my daughter was one of 5 diabetic students, this year she is one of 3.) Anyhow, during this meeting, all the teachers said they were completely comfortable with her testing her blood and treating lows in the classroom without going to the nurse. My main concern was her missing class work while sitting in the nurses office. Everything I asked for, they gave me. They have been absolutely wonderful and supportive. So have 2 of the nurses.

The head nurse came into school for the first time on Monday and absolutely will not allow my daughter to check in her classroom. She has left messages for the teachers and the other two nurses that it is no longer allowed. She states township rules about blood and sharps. I had two long conversations with her and she will not relent. The school principal said we have to go along with what she says as they donít want to loose their funding from the township. So now itís time for me to do a 504 plan. One of the momís gave me a copy of hers from last year. Her daughter has graduated and no longer there, but she did have permission to test in class! So Iím basically going to fine tune hers to fit our needs. So all I have to do is to list my daughter's needs, have it approved by the endo, the principal, and us parents? It looks too simple. I feel like I must be missing something? I went back through the posts about others doing 504ís and one of the momís has one posted. Itís almost identical to the one loaned to me. Once I have all the signatures, that over-rides township policy?

Iím motivated to get this done quickly. Today after gym class she felt low, so she had to walk to the nurses office to check (complete opposite ends of the building) and she was 31!!!

Sorry this is so long! Thanks in advance for any advise.

I am new to all of this but I was told to try the 504 plan here on this site for my daughters school..it was easy and the school was very impressed with what I gave them...here is the link I used they have a plan for all grades plans for shots and plans for the pump

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

Debbie mom to 11 great kids,
    Samantha dx'd 8-25-07 at 8 years old, 11 now.
    pumping with a purple MM Revel
    CGMS since 3-19-09
    lotsoftots life with a large family my blog
    Diabetes R Us Trying to do a d blog

Debbie, Iím sorry for your daughters recent diagnosis. Iíll never forget how it felt in the beginning. And wow! You do have tons of tots!!! LOL!

Thanks so much for the link! There is a wealth of information there. What I didnít see and may have missed, is if the 504 has to be filed some where other then the school. Does a copy need to go to some agency or is this strictly between us, the doctor, and the school? Thanks!

I hope you get this resolved. It doesn`t sound safe for her to be walking all the way to the nurse`s office , when she is low and unattended. For the sharps issue, we got a sharps container from the pharmacy. There are lancers that use drums and no sharps have to be handled by staff.
    Mom to 11yr old
    Dx May 2007
    Started on NPH/Novorapid, then MDI- Lantus/Novorapid
    Now Pumping with Paradigm 722 but sensors not covered
    Novorapid/6mm quickset

CC's mom I dont know about that one I just gave one to my school and they filed it away.my Dr wrote up a short form and put it in their file..maybe cause its going to chage alot at the start
    You know having a ton of kids is SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier then this but I am sure well I have no choice I will learn this too

Debbie mom to 11 great kids,
    Samantha dx'd 8-25-07 at 8 years old, 11 now.
    pumping with a purple MM Revel
    CGMS since 3-19-09
    lotsoftots life with a large family my blog
    Diabetes R Us Trying to do a d blog

Well I'm not sure where to start with this one.

I hope the nurse also has forbidden all scratched scabs and mosquito bites and she doesn't let the female students who are menstruating come to school. She must have also outlawed all sharp pencils, pushpins, thumb tacks and other such items.

I would suggest you ask her for a copy of the policy in writing.

This chapter of the Legal Rights of Students with Diabetes addresses the issue of having a blanket policy: http://web.diabetes.org/Advocacy/leg...s/LR-Chap8.pdf

This chapter of the same book deals in part with self-testing in the classroom: http://web.diabetes.org/Advocacy/leg...s/LR-Chap9.pdf

Also people like the Multiclix lancing device by Accu-check. The sharps are hidden inside a drum and never exposed when changing to a new one.

I would also call the ADA and request their free school discrimination packet: 1-800-DIABETES.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Quote Originally Posted by selketine View Post
    Well I'm not sure where to start with this one.

I hope the nurse also has forbidden all scratched scabs and mosquito bites and she doesn't let the female students who are menstruating come to school. She must have also outlawed all sharp pencils, pushpins, thumb tacks and other such items.
    Oh Carol! You are too funny. Maybe the nurse once worked at Sea World

Poster...
    Definitely get that 504 in place. For example, when your daughter felt low after gym, she should have been able to test/treat on the spot. Or, she should have had an adult accompany her down to the nurses office. We are lucky, the nurses come to my daughters class to test as they feel she will miss to much class time. They can't really say she can't test/treat in class as her teacher is T1 and needs to do so herself!
    Definitely check in on the resources Carol provided, they are really helpful as is the 504 page on the CWD site.

Best of luck.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

from selketine: "I hope the nurse also has forbidden all scratched scabs and mosquito bites and she doesn't let the female students who are menstruating come to school. She must have also outlawed all sharp pencils, pushpins, thumb tacks and other such items."

I was thinking the same thing! I've been in the classroom when there has been a lot more blood then from a lancet!! And I tried to explain to her that it's all self-contained and there would be no sharps to dispose of. And I soooo wish I would have thought to ask for a copy of that policy in writing! I can't believe that in a district that size no child with diabetes is testing in the classroom!!

My daughters BG was 77 after gym class (she checked at the nurse instead of the locker room this time). She dropped to 31 after about 45 minutes and another student walked her to the nurses office. All the staff agree that it would have been much better for her to check and treat in class. It's just this one stinkin nurse who unfortunately is in control!

And I forgot to mention, she tried to turn this around saying - don't you want your daughter in the care of a nurse when she's not well? It's unfair to the teachers and the other students for testing and treatment to go on in class.....

Thanks everyone for the insight and support. I'm going to start working on the 504 this morning. Once that's done, all I have to do is have it signed and it's "law"??? Seems too easy for all the grief this nurse is causing.

Still email, call, send a letter to that nurse and ask for a policy ASAP. I would think this will only help you with your meeting.

We would LOVE for our kids to be under the care of a nurse 24/7. Sure! Come to my house and monitor William all night while I sleep! Follow him around the high school! Sit in the back seat while he drives the car (he is 5 now). But really! We have to teach our kids to self-manage as they are able - not shove it on them but let them gradually take over and be able to assess and treat their highs and lows. Nurse and Mommy aren't always going to be with them (as much as I'd like to be - believe me!). The nurse is missing the point of that one.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

[quote=CC'sMom;67843]And I forgot to mention, she tried to turn this around saying - don't you want your daughter in the care of a nurse when she's not well? It's unfair to the teachers and the other students for testing and treatment to go on in class.....
    quote]

That's terrible!

Why is it unfair for the teachers and other students? It is a fact of life that there are people who need to take care of themselves on the spot. It's unfair that your child had to develope diabetes, but they are dealing with it with a lot more dignity than she probably ever would. Aren't nurses supposed to be compassionate? I think that statement contradicts that!

Stick to your guns, get what your child needs!
    Keep us posted.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn