advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Reasonable" Number of test strips per month?

Default "Reasonable" Number of test strips per month?

I was just informed that my insurance company will only be covering 240 test strips per month. I assumed my endo could override this seeing as I use 12 strips or so a day; however, I called the nurse at the office and was informed that 240 test strips was more then reasonable.

I know this is rather subjective but I feel like there are times I have to test more then 10 times a day. I have a job where I have to know my blood sugar is in a decent range at all times (EMT) and I really can't always trust my CGM depending on the age of the sensor.

How many test strips do you get? Is it reasonable to ask for more? I do not want to take advantage of my insurance company but I really think it will save them money in the long run to provide me access to enough test strips.

Assuming I don't get coverage for more, are the "Relion" brand test strips ok to use? I am assuming they meet the same standards as my Onetouch strips and they sure are a lot cheaper.

Thanks!
    Meg
    College Junior, Age 20
    Pancreatectomy 2/17/2003
    Pumping 2/19/2003, Currently w/ Minimed Revel and Omnipod
    CGM: MM 2006-2013, Dexcom G4 2013-Present
    Symlin since 4/2013

300 seems to be a more standard option. Maybe you can show your Endo your history of more tests per day and ask them to request an override. I would also order as soon as you can for a refill - typically that's at 20 days instead of 30 - to see if you can build a little bit of a stockpile because I'm sure there's some streaks that you don't do tests 10 a day and can build up a little.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 13
    Emma - 8 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping!
    as of 9/07
    CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

We are very fortunate in that our endo has no issues writing the Rx for 12-14 times per day which results in our 1300 for a 3 month supply. The pharmacy, which is Medco, has not questioned this Rx. It is true, however, that I do not fill the Rx every 3 months to the day - I only renew it when we start going low and maybe they recognize this.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

We only get 200 per month, which I think isn't enough. Of course, some days we test more than others, but I'd much prefer to have at least 300 because not all those strips will be 'good'. With the OneTouch Blue strips, we had so many bad ones we'd wind up cutting it extremely close by the end of the month. Unfortunately, the endo won't prescribe us more at the moment because she says that there's no reason to be using that many. I beg to differ, and will definitely be calling my insurance company to see what our limit is on strips. The copay for us with Aetna insurance stays the same, so I'd much rather take advantage of it if I'm able to. The Relion test strips seem to be just as good as the OneTouch strips. I have a relion meter and some strips as a backup, and I've never had a problem with either.
    Noelle
    Mommy to:
    Andrew, 3. Diagnosed with Type 1 on May 1, 2012. MDI routine using Lantus and Novolog. OneTouch Verio IQ.
    Chase, 2. Non-D.
    Jacob, Born 5/2/13. Non-D.

Never say ''I can't''.

Our scrip is written test 10-12 times a day. This gives us an adequate supply so that if we have a bad day, then we are covered. Our insurance only allowed 250, but writing it this way, all is covered.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

We get 400/month. That may be a bit more than we need but 300 is too few. I would try asking the doctor or even consider switching practices if that is their policy. They should encourage frequent testing.
    Roberta
    homeschooling mom to 4, incl Maris, age 12, dx at 19 mo., Recently hit the 10 yr anniversary!!
    former Cozmo user, now on MDI of levemir and novolog
    Dexcom G4 user since 12/13
    Looking to connect to other families dealing with diabetes in New England? Check out: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...swithdiabetes/

Quote Originally Posted by nebby3 View Post
    We get 400/month. That may be a bit more than we need but 300 is too few. I would try asking the doctor or even consider switching practices if that is their policy. They should encourage frequent testing.
    I agree. There are quite a few reasons that you'd need to test more than the average amount on a regular day. I know that when my son's numbers get all wonky on me, in order to figure out and adjust I:C ratios or when I had to close in and narrow down on his correction factor, I tested him every hour on the hour. I still do if there's a need for it. So far we haven't run out, but I think that at the very least, the standard prescription should call for 300/month. That's just my opinion, but I'd rather have some left over than to completely run out and have to run to the store and spend the extra money on strips w/o a script to cover them.
    Noelle
    Mommy to:
    Andrew, 3. Diagnosed with Type 1 on May 1, 2012. MDI routine using Lantus and Novolog. OneTouch Verio IQ.
    Chase, 2. Non-D.
    Jacob, Born 5/2/13. Non-D.

Never say ''I can't''.

We get 300 per month
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

We were getting 300 a month and had the endo up the prescription to testing 12 times/day instead of 10. They were hesitant to do so saying it would be a problem with the insurance company. Finally, after much back and forth they decided to do it. We were just cutting it too close with only 300 strips.

I also agree with a previous poster, try and refill it ASAP. We can refill at something like 20 days too, even though the auto refill doesn't go through until 30 days. That way we can stockpile a little too. Most days he tests 9-10 times, but on sick days or crazy days he may test 12 or more times.

Good luck!
    Mom to DS, 11
    Diagnosed 3/2011 with Type 1
    Pump: MM Revel 12/2011, Omnipod 3/2013
    MM CGM 3/2012, Dexcom G4 3/2013

240 must be tight and it must stink having to worry that you might run out, sorry!

Our endo wrote a Rx for 400/month. Now that he CGM's, we use less than the 400; it's nice to not have to worry. Hope you can your # increased.
    Lisa,
    Mom to Aidan, born 10/12/04, DX 3/17/10 at 5
    MDI, Novolog and Lantus; Dexcom CGM
    Kyle, Non-D, born July 4, 2002