advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braces in a week - what to feed? lows?

Default Braces in a week - what to feed? lows?

DD is getting braces in a week - I am sure the first few days will be fun! Stocking up on soup yogurt and ice cream - wondering what else will be good. Also she prefers to have skittles to treat lows - that will not work with braces! I do plan on getting glucoshots for the first few weeks but those and glucose tabs are not her fav. Any ideas?
    Deb mom to Grace age 12 T1 dxd 10/30/08
    Pumping Medtronic Minimed since 5/19/09
    Beau 18 HLHS, pacemaker

My older son (who doesn't have diabetes) got braces in the spring. His mouth was the most sore initially but after that the adjustments are only bothersome for a day or so.

William really likes the Quick Sticks (http://quicksticks.com) and we found them at walmart. It is like a pixie stick but the wrapper is tough and so far no problems carrying in his pocket or using them (they aren't fiddly like pixie sticks).

For the older kid we bought a water flosser - that really helps get in between the teeth without dealing with threading floss: http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-WP-10...=water+flosser

You might find that really soft gummy candy that isn't as sticky will be ok. Skittles might actually work - you just have to be careful.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Try fruit leather for mild lows, glucose gels for tougher ones. Both are easy to carry.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Quote Originally Posted by mamamccoy87 View Post
    DD is getting braces in a week - I am sure the first few days will be fun! Stocking up on soup yogurt and ice cream - wondering what else will be good. Also she prefers to have skittles to treat lows - that will not work with braces! I do plan on getting glucoshots for the first few weeks but those and glucose tabs are not her fav. Any ideas?
    Smoothies are your bestest friend! You can pack them with all kinds of stuff, from quick sugars (juice) to slower to digest things like oats and flax mixed with milk and PB (just grind it up before adding liquids).

I've even been known to hide spinach in a smoothie, just be sure to add blueberries to cover the green!

Try pixie sticks (or the new quicksticks things) for lows for now, or of course juices.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

Quote Originally Posted by nanhsot View Post
    I've even been known to hide spinach in a smoothie, just be sure to add blueberries to cover the green!

Try pixie sticks (or the new quicksticks things) for lows for now, or of course juices.
    will have to try the spinach and see if anyone notices!! I'm sure orthodontist would be thrilled with the sugar content of this post!
    Deb mom to Grace age 12 T1 dxd 10/30/08
    Pumping Medtronic Minimed since 5/19/09
    Beau 18 HLHS, pacemaker

My son had braces before diagnosis and at the time he thought it was such a PITA, mostly because initially he was supposed to wear a night guard he hated. But in terms of the soreness after having them put on, it only lasted one night- tylenol helped. Since then he never complains after regular ortho appts when they adjust.
    He is notorious for breaking his braces- and we cant figure out why. He doesn't like sticky sweets anyway. We use smarties, glucose tabs, pixie sticks or occasionally juice. Maybe those would be ok with your daughter.
    Rosemarie

Mom to:
    William, age 11, diagnosed 11/10/11, MM CGMS (2/20/12), MM revel blue (4/4/12), Dex G4 (11/22/12)
    James, age 8, nonD
    Grace, 7, nonD

No promises but FWIW my kids had soreness but it never impacted thier ability to eat, even right after the appt.ali But the smoothies, pop, juice are good ideas.

We also bought a waterpik which helped with the soreness at first when used with warm water. After that initial soreness he went back to using glucose tablets no problem for him. The glucose tabs will start to dissolve if you wait a few seconds before chewing.

At home he would drink juice for lows.
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    No promises but FWIW my kids had soreness but it never impacted thier ability to eat, even right after the appt.ali But the smoothies, pop, juice are good ideas.
    I'd say this was true in our home as well, we had complaints but didn't really alter eating. I did, however, stop at the frozen yogurt shop on the way home!

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

We had four kids get braces on one day. Three were in agony for a few days, one didn't flinch. Gregory used smarties for lows.
    Allison, married to my best friend, Andy! Proud mother to 6 amazing kids!
    Gregory, age 14, T1D diagnosed 9/1/06.
    Patrick, age 13. Jasmine, age 11. Brendan, age 11. Marissa, age 9. Sean, age 8.