advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dexcom G4, age 3, week 1 review

Default Dexcom G4, age 3, week 1 review

We started on the dexcom g4 on Friday. It came with 1 transmitter and a month's supply of sensors (4). My original purpose was to use it for basal and bolus testing one week per month. Apparently the G4 had other ideas! This is our first experience with a cgm as well. What it has done in three days is give us a lot of peace of mind. We haven't slept this well since dx!
    The applicator looks scary. I gave dd some m and m's to go through with this. After using the applicator, we have to seat the transmitter on the thingy. That was a bit difficult, hope it gets easier with practice. But I would say she screamed for a couple of seconds and that was it. She has never mentioned it again and never notices it even though the transmitter juts out on her tiny frame. We have also told her this reduces the nbr of finger pricks.
    I thought we would use it just one week per month but I think the lifestyle benefit is too great. The hair size thing that goes in her tummy ( that was our main concern) seems safe too after studying about it.
    The accuracy is very liveable. The alert while grocery shopping with dd was so useful.
    The only con so far is that dd loves the receiver, calls it her ipod! There is no screen lock like there is on her pump. Or I need to re-check the manual.
    The other major con is obviously the cost, compared to test strips.
    I will post our experience with basal/bolus testing in a few days.
    ------------------------------
    Dad of 3yr old with type 1
    11/9/2011 dx, a1c 10.5
    3/30/2012 a1c 8.1
    4/26/2012 Animas Ping
    Oct 2012 a1c 7.5
    11/9/2012 Dexcom G4

It sounds like getting it was the perfect dia-versary event! I would hate to go back to no-CGM at this point. The stress relief is incredible.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

My DD is 28 mos. We are going to be meeting with the CGM reps next week. I was leaning towards the dex, but since minimed is coming out with their new smaller CGM next month we decided to hear them out too. I am nervous about DD actually keeping the sensor on and leaving it alone. This post gives me hope that it will all go pretty smoothly. Just praying that insurance will pick up some of the monthly cost.
    Stephanie
    mom to Sage (3 1/2 yo) dx 12/11/11
    MDI with lantus and Novalog
    Dexcom G4 since Jan 2014

Quote Originally Posted by fiaz View Post
    We started on the dexcom g4 on Friday. It came with 1 transmitter and a month's supply of sensors (4). My original purpose was to use it for basal and bolus testing one week per month. Apparently the G4 had other ideas! This is our first experience with a cgm as well. What it has done in three days is give us a lot of peace of mind. We haven't slept this well since dx!
    The applicator looks scary. I gave dd some m and m's to go through with this. After using the applicator, we have to seat the transmitter on the thingy. That was a bit difficult, hope it gets easier with practice. But I would say she screamed for a couple of seconds and that was it. She has never mentioned it again and never notices it even though the transmitter juts out on her tiny frame. We have also told her this reduces the nbr of finger pricks.
    I thought we would use it just one week per month but I think the lifestyle benefit is too great. The hair size thing that goes in her tummy ( that was our main concern) seems safe too after studying about it.
    The accuracy is very liveable. The alert while grocery shopping with dd was so useful.
    The only con so far is that dd loves the receiver, calls it her ipod! There is no screen lock like there is on her pump. Or I need to re-check the manual.
    The other major con is obviously the cost, compared to test strips.
    I will post our experience with basal/bolus testing in a few days.
    Thanks for posting, sounds great! Do you find the range is good? We're getting our G4 by end of the week and I'm hoping the receiver can stay in a central spot in the house or with me. That's how we managed with our Guardian, and it worked well because of the 40 min memory had. But, with Dexcom's longer range, it might work as well. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    My DD is 28 mos. We are going to be meeting with the CGM reps next week. I was leaning towards the dex, but since minimed is coming out with their new smaller CGM next month we decided to hear them out too. I am nervous about DD actually keeping the sensor on and leaving it alone. This post gives me hope that it will all go pretty smoothly. Just praying that insurance will pick up some of the monthly cost.
    My son started CGM when he was 22 months old. We've always taped over the sensor and transmitter with Hypafix tape, no chance to mess with the sensor, and also it's more secure that way.

Just curious - where did you hear about Minimed coming out with their new sensor next month?
    Inga - mom to:
    Rohan - 4, dx @7 months (02/20/2009)
    Pumping with Blue Animas Ping since 7/21/2009, Contact Detach&Inset 30, Apidra
    Guardian CGMS 5/2010-11/2012, now Dexcom G4
    and Anya - 1, non-D

We have been using G4 since August and although I planned on only using it when ds is sick I now can hardly wait til it's done callibrating, the two hours seem like eternity without knowing what's his bg is. The accuracy is pretty amazing and we always get two solid weeks out of each sensor. Most of times it is still just as accurate on day 14, but I change it anyways because the sensor starts looking kinda gross and worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcool View Post
    Thanks for posting, sounds great! Do you find the range is good? We're getting our G4 by end of the week and I'm hoping the receiver can stay in a central spot in the house or with me. That's how we managed with our Guardian, and it worked well because of the 40 min memory had. But, with Dexcom's longer range, it might work as well. Fingers crossed.
    The range was a bit of a pleasant surprise. DD can be sleeping upstairs and we can be in the living room downstairs and it works no problem. I measured the distance and it comes to 48 ft.
    BTW, I remember you...you were one of the original people who encouraged us to get the pump and cgm, thanks!
    ------------------------------
    Dad of 3yr old with type 1
    11/9/2011 dx, a1c 10.5
    3/30/2012 a1c 8.1
    4/26/2012 Animas Ping
    Oct 2012 a1c 7.5
    11/9/2012 Dexcom G4

Medtronic reps had a training on pre-launch stuff last week Thursday I believe on the 530g (U.S. Veo) and the enlite sensor, and from what I am hearing it is looking like an early December launch, but that is still speculative
    Dad to Olivia, who is 6 and Dix Type 1 Oct 21, 2009. Currently use Medtronic 523 and CGM and lots and lots of meter checks!

DD's CDE told me about minimed. the enlite CGM. it's supposed to have a thinner cannula and be a little bit smaller profile. the insertion process is what looked scary to me on-line, so hopefully that changed too. not sure if the new pump, veo, is coming out at the same time or not. i'm hoping for the animas vibe to be approved soon to pair with the dex, but DD's CDE says the reps say it's still a ways away, not giving a projected date yet.

i am hoping the receiver can just stay in DD's bag at daycare instead of her having to wear it. 48ft should be fine for in the building and her teacher could have it during recess. it may even be enough distance to keep the receiver in my room at night which would be awesome.

thanks for idea about the tape. i knew we would have to secure it with something bc even if she didnt mess with it, there's a big chance it would get knocked off while climbing around the playscape or doing any of the busy silly things she does.

i really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with their CGMs and pumps. it is such a huge decision and when our kids are so small it is one we have to make without their input. so i am grateful that i can learn from other's experiences and also feel a little more at ease.
    Stephanie
    mom to Sage (3 1/2 yo) dx 12/11/11
    MDI with lantus and Novalog
    Dexcom G4 since Jan 2014

Quote Originally Posted by fiaz View Post
    The range was a bit of a pleasant surprise. DD can be sleeping upstairs and we can be in the living room downstairs and it works no problem. I measured the distance and it comes to 48 ft.
    BTW, I remember you...you were one of the original people who encouraged us to get the pump and cgm, thanks!

That range sounds awesome! And it's great to hear that the pump and CGM are working for you guys. I love technology!
    Inga - mom to:
    and Anya - 1, non-D

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    DD's CDE told me about minimed. the enlite CGM. it's supposed to have a thinner cannula and be a little bit smaller profile. the insertion process is what looked scary to me on-line, so hopefully that changed too. not sure if the new pump, veo, is coming out at the same time or not. i'm hoping for the animas vibe to be approved soon to pair with the dex, but DD's CDE says the reps say it's still a ways away, not giving a projected date yet.

i am hoping the receiver can just stay in DD's bag at daycare instead of her having to wear it. 48ft should be fine for in the building and her teacher could have it during recess. it may even be enough distance to keep the receiver in my room at night which would be awesome.

thanks for idea about the tape. i knew we would have to secure it with something bc even if she didnt mess with it, there's a big chance it would get knocked off while climbing around the playscape or doing any of the busy silly things she does.

i really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with their CGMs and pumps. it is such a huge decision and when our kids are so small it is one we have to make without their input. so i am grateful that i can learn from other's experiences and also feel a little more at ease.
    If Medtronic really comes out with enlite soon (their rep told me 2 years ago that they will come out with it soon ), you can maybe trial both and see which works better for you. That's how we decided between Dexcom and Guardian 2 1/2 years ago. I do love the predictive alarms on Guardian, but I'm looking forward to easier insertion, longer range and longer sensor life with G4. Once enlite comes out, we might try that too, since we will still have Medtronic CGM system....

As for insertion, it all seems scary at the beginning, right? I remember the first pump sites and all the anxiety. We actually do my son's CGM insertion after he goes to bed (with numbing cream) and he doesn't know a thing. But is surely is scarier than pump site insertion.
    Inga - mom to:
    and Anya - 1, non-D