advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remission without insulin therapy on gluten-free diet in a 6-year old boy with type 1 diabetes mellitus.

Default Remission without insulin therapy on gluten-free diet in a 6-year old boy with type 1 diabetes mellitus.

A 5-year and 10-month old boy was diagnosed with classical type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) without celiac disease. He started on a gluten-free diet after 2-3 week without need of insulin treatment. At the initiation of gluten-free diet, HbA1c was 7.8% and was stabilised at 5.8%-6.0% without insulin therapy. Fasting blood glucose was maintained at 4.0-5.0 mmol/l. At 16 months after diagnosis the fasting blood glucose was 4.1 mmol/l and after 20 months he is still without daily insulin therapy. There was no alteration in glutamic acid decarboxylase positivity. The gluten-free diet was safe and without side effects. The authors propose that the gluten-free diet has prolonged remission in this patient with T1DM and that further trials are indicated
    Link

And while on the subject Dietary gluten and type 1 diabetes

Although this is interesting, remember that it is a "case study". It reports on something very unusual that happened to exactly one person.

Joshua Levy

Is it plausible that a newly diagnosed T1D, when on a restricted, low or zero-carb diet, during the honeymoon could go without insulin and maintain a low A1c?
    Stay at home Dad to son, 14.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Possible if they were diagnosed very early through Trial net testing, or without any major symptoms or DKA, OR they would have needed insulin for those first 3 weeks.
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 13, dx'd @11 months and Anna, 18, dx'd @ 17 .

Keep Calm and Treat the Number

I read another summary that stated he was on insulin for 5 weeks. I'll have to find the link later.

ETA: This is the link. Does anyone here have access to the whole paper?

BTW, I only focused on the summary of the study, so I don't know what else that blog is talking about.
    Last edited by danismom79; 10-10-2012 at 07:03 AM.

It implied he was on insulin the first 3 weeks.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 14.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    Is it plausible that a newly diagnosed T1D, when on a restricted, low or zero-carb diet, during the honeymoon could go without insulin and maintain a low A1c?
    My guess is "yes" for zero-carb or very low carb diet. That's what was done prior to 1920 (discovery of insulin). People could live for a few months or years like that.

However, for this case, specifically, it said the person was on a no-gluten diet, which still includes many carbs.

Joshua Levy

I've heared of a couple of stories that kids didn't use insulin by going in a grain-free paleo style diet. I am sure that proccessed food and gluten doesn't help your cells. However all those cases after a couple of months go back to insulin. I was following a blog of a parent that managed to keep her daughter off insulin for 8 months with a diet including carbs but not procecced food, gluten or dairy. I don't know whats more dificult to do. I chose insulin and a less restrictive diet.
    Katerina mom of Paul 14yrs dx @ 7 on 13.12.2007 currently using Levemir, Novorapid, Actrapid and Dexcom! and to Philip age 11 nonD

So from the paper;
    Following nutritional advice, the patient was started on a gluten-free diet with low glycemic index. The average calorie intake was 7085 KJ/day split into six to seven courses, with 24% energy from carbohydrates, 26% from protein and 49% from fat. HbA1c levels were stabilized at 5.8%-6.0% without insulin therapy. Fasting blood glucose was maintained at 4.0-5.0 mmol/l. The patient gained 1.1kg and 6 cm in height over 1 year
    Also what is interesting is that c-peptide was dropping(as usual)

Stimulated C-peptide and proinsulin were tested after an invidualised mixed meal (including 35-39g carbohydrates, 5-7g protein and 3-3.5g fat) 8 and 12 months after diagnosis. At 8 months postdiagnosis, stimulated C-peptide was at 580 pmol/l, stimulated proinsulin was 26 pmol/l. At 12 months postdiagnosis, fasting and stimulated C-peptide levels were 2 and 147 pmol/l
    The authors conclude;
    The prolonged remission may be due to the gluten-free diet, the low dietary glycaemix index, the distribution of small meals throughout the day or a combination thereof. Results from animal models suggest that gluten-free diet is a likely cause.

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    It implied he was on insulin the first 3 weeks.
    Patient was treated with insulin for a total of 5 weeks.
    Then
    At the end of the 5 weeks the insulin requirement declined, and the patient entered the remission phase without any insulin requirement for the following 3 weeks, with blood glucose values in the range 4-6 mmol/l. Gluten-free diet was initiated 8 weeks postdiagnosis.