advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One key pump feature that won you over ???

Default One key pump feature that won you over ???

Is there one or two pump features that led you to purchase the pump you did versus the other pumps available? Or is there a key feature on a pump you intend to buy versus the pump you currently use? I understand everybody's needs and preferences differ, but we are not nearly as informed as most of you so hearing the one key feature that won you over versus the competition would be helpful. Thanks.
    Son - Age 11 dx July/12. OmniPod Dec/12. Dexcom G4 Feb/13.

The 300u cartridge of the minimed 723 sealed the deal for us.

The integrated CGM was a bonus and the absence on the dial up for bolus was a plus as well.

I'd rather have another Cozmo , but the mm was the next best thing.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

My daughter had no interest whatsoever in tubing, so the Omnipod it was.

I like the fact that if something were to go wrong with the PDM for a short time, she would still get basal delivery through the pod.

We chose the Omnipod because it is tubeless and waterproof. It operates by a handy remote control called a PDM, personal diabetes manager, that is about the size of a cell phone and is very discrete and intuitive to operate. The Omnipod system is less expensive up front, but the pods ongoing are more expensive than the insets of other pumps I believe, but ours are covered by insurance.

You can learn more about it here http://www.myomnipod.com/
    Susan
    Grandma to Hailey age 11 dx type 1 age 4
    pumping with Omnipod since 8/09
    and Faith age 7
    and now little Macey Ella age 1 year Dx with allergies to nuts, wheat, eggs, and soy

True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life, in whatever shape they may challenge us to combat.

Napoleon I (1769-1821) Napoleon Bonaparte. French general.

Definitely the meter-remote with the Ping. My son started pumping when he was 5. I figured this would be handy since I would be the one doing all the bolusing. Now that he is 8, I still love it...especially at parties when he is grazing or when he has birthday cake after pizza or whatever. I do not have to physically go over to him, take his pump off his belt, and bolus him. I can do it across the room without interrupting him and his friends...his friends don't even know he is being bolused. It's hard enough holding him down to check his BG. With the Ping, I can check him and let him go and...as long as I'm in the same room, I can bolus him as he plays or does whatever. I can even bolus him from the bottom of the stairs in our house as he plays in his room at the top of the stairs.

When my son self-manages, this feature will not be so crucial to me. As for now, I don't want to switch to any other pump just because I don't want to lose this feature!

Good luck!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    The 300u cartridge of the minimed 723 sealed the deal for us.

The integrated CGM was a bonus and the absence on the dial up for bolus was a plus as well.

I'd rather have another Cozmo , but the mm was the next best thing.
    Ditto here. We have the smaller pump right now, but my son will have his next pump from the ages of 9-13, so the 300 unit reservoir is probably going to be the tipping point for us. We're out of warranty right now, so once the Animas Vibe pump comes out, we'll probably trial that along with the Veo, but I know the Vibe won't have the bigger reservoir option, so it will have to blow me away in other areas to get me to choose it. He self-boluses now, so the remote for the Ping doesn't interest me.

If our pump breaks before the Vibe comes out, we'll get another MM. My son does not want to carry a separate CGM receiver.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

I like this thread. It's been a long time since we had a pump thread that emphasized the value of different pump features to the individual user. People always ask "what's the best pump?" but that's obviously a silly question - the best pump is the one that meets your individual needs.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    I like this thread. It's been a long time since we had a pump thread that emphasized the value of different pump features to the individual user. People always ask "what's the best pump?" but that's obviously a silly question - the best pump is the one that meets your individual needs.
    I also think that nothing beats pushing buttons on the pumps yourself. And at age 9, having your son do so as well. Have him deliver some boluses, check the history, and set a temp basal. Those are probably 95% of the actions you will perform with the pump, and the pumps all definitely have a different interface and "feel."
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

I let my daughter decide since she was the one who would be wearing it. Honestly, I think the big factors in her decisions were 1) the pump reps (Medtronic's is extremely helpful and friendly, Animas' was aloof and never even called to see how the trial was going!) and 2) the integrated CGM. She was afraid of losing the separate device. However, with G4's release this morning, we called to stop our transmitter order. Volume control without a $1700 price tag, more accuracy, and less pain is getting a rethink on the separate device from her perspective.

We're on our 3rd pump in 13 months. Medtronic has been great about replacing them. The clip holder cracked on the first one, and the second one alarmed a motor error. They told me they would replace it on the 2nd one in 30 days, but when I called and said I would prefer a different one, they had it to us by 10 a.m. the next day.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

For my daughter, it had to be the OmniPod. She is a competitive swimmer and wanted greater control while practicing and competing. Since she can wear the POD while swimming and keep the basal running, it makes a huge difference. Hardly anyone notices she has the POD on under her suit (except one stupid father that accused her wearing a pacer during a race! A pacer is worn in your ear under your swim cap, not on your butt! But that's another story...). She requires a lot of insulin while competing, so being able to keep her pump on while swimming is huge. We can make changes throughout the swim meet.
    Aimee in New Jersey
    mom to Sean (14)- non D
    Hana (13) T1 dx 3/3/10
    Case (10) non D
    wife to Scott
    Pumping with OmniPod
    Dex G4