advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed post on Tandem t:slim

Default Detailed post on Tandem t:slim

We are still unable to get this pump under our insurance carrier, but I was very interested in Adam's details written in diaTribe

http://diatribe.us/issues/47/test-drive

It looks so good! I hope that at the end of my pump's warranty (4 years from now) it's available in the UK and has an integrated CGMS. They had me with the design, but it sounds like it works really well too.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

I am a fan of this Pump...I saw it at the CWD conference and my son loved it. The only draw back for us is that it is not a patch pump....we started with the OmniPod and not sure how we would like the conventional pumps.

I do like the fact that it delivers at a .001 rate. This seems like it would be very beneficial in nailing down tighter basal profiles. I also like the fact that the IC, IF, Basal and correction numbers are all on one screen and that there are 16 different settings within each profile. To me this seems like the ability for tighter control.

For now I will just wait and see what OminPod does with the new smaller pump but if things get slowed down again I may take the leap to the T:slim
    Last edited by Dan; 09-26-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

Thanks for the review link. We are going to try to get our insurance to cover it when William is due for a pump in January 2013. I think it will come down to what price Kaiser can negotiate with Tandem - but I need to give some reason why this pump would be better than what we currently have and that article is helpful on that score.

William also looked at it during the conference and has wanted it for 2+ years since he went to a Tandem focus group about this pump in 2010 at FFl. Our new pedi endo didn't seem excited about it but it sounded like she would submit the request.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Bill McBain provided me with the following Reddit posts on the t:slim

Original Reddit review.
    Three week follow-up.

Here's my initial thoughts after wearing a t:slim for over 2 weeks.

It is small and light. The screen is bright and very readable, even with poorer eyesight. The initial screen before you unlock the pump shows you
    1. Battery Level Percent
    2. Date and Time
    3. Remaining units of insulin
    4. Insulin on Board Units
    5. Time remaining for IOB.

On most screens there's only two available choices, so it's very usable. The first screen after pressing the (1), (2), (3) circles to unlock show Bolus or Options.

The Options screen gives you access to
    1. Stop Insulin
    2. Entry to pump settings screen
    3. Entry to load cartridge screens
    4. Temp Basal Rate

The local rep for Tandem gave me a worksheet to transfer my current pump settings to the Tandem, it was really helpful.

My wife noticed that if you Stop Insulin delivery you can't tell this has happened until you unlock the screen, when you get a prompt to restart delivery.

I really like entering carb values, where there's a +/= button so you can add individual carb counts and get a total. Anywhere there's a numeric value you have a keyboard, which gives you much more accuracy than any other pump on the market. For example if you want to set a temp basal rate for 48 minutes, you can!

One big downside is the amount of time it takes to change a set. First of all, there's a standard Luer lock connection on the small piece of tubing connected to each cartridge. In most cases you can use your current infusion set. Mine is a Cleo with 42" tubing.

To change the cartridge you first remove the old one, you'll need a quarter or something else to put in the slot at the bottom of the cartridge to get it off the pump. Then you insert a new cartridge before filling it with insulin - I screwed this up on my first set change, because I started using the pump without any training.

Filling the tubing takes about 4 minutes for the 42", so total set change time is about 6 minutes -- far longer than I'm used to. Also you can only set a change reminder for 1, 2, or 3 days. I'm told that's a new FDA requirement.

There are a lot of confirmation screens, a bit too much for me. But you get used to them. There's no separate Combination or Extended Bolus, you get to do that after you're entered BG and/or carb counts. The accuracy is a bit 'challenging' for me. For example I entered a combo bolus recently and was told I'd get something like 2.327 units immediately and the remainder over 2 hours. 0.007 units is such a teensy amount it's mind-boggling that 7/10000 of a mL (cc)! Wow.

There's some un-advertised insulin loss on loading. If you put 1.3 mL of insulin into the cartridge (130 units) and then prime (about 30 units for me) you don't end up with 100 units available, more like 80 units. So I've learned to add more insulin when filling.

Hope this all helps. I need to work on a full review. Ellen made me do this quick one!
    Last edited by BernFarr; 09-26-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Bernard
    Type 1. Dx'ed September 1972. Yes, that's 39+ years.

Cozmo 1800, September 2007.
    Dexcom Seven Plus, June 2009.
    Apidra.
    My diabetes technology blog
    Diaboogle, the diabetes-minded search tool

Thumbs up

Jesse is loving his Tslim..
    2 issues... but not biggies

1- he claims that when you bolus, the tz tz tz sound is noisier than his Cozmo... but he has gotten used to it- and won't give up this pump.......

2- He hasnt figured out if its safe to prefill the cartridges.. he used to make 8 or so at a time for the Cozmo, and keep them in the fridge...but is concerned about the airbag thing in the tslim cartridges... said he's gonna try it out this weekend and see what happens...

Did I tell you that he loves this pump???????

here's a video he made for Tandem this summer after doing a trial -

http://youtu.be/5yCIRtBAw4c

stacey

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25
    Jesse- 21 - dx'd 12/01, pumping since 4/03
    Pumping with a TSLIM and loving it !
    Dexcoming with a G4 and LOVING it !!

Default Age exceptions?

I see at the end of the tslim YouTube video that this pump is for ages 12 & over. Has anyone had luck getting it for their younger child? My 9 year old daughter is VERY interested in this pump. I showed her the video thinking she might think the touchscreen was cool, but she was totally taken with the idea of the slimmer pump. She doesn't like the pump bulge under her clothing. I believe our ping warranty is up a year from December. We've pumped Animas for 7 years. Looks like I need to update sig line!
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Melissa
    Married to Tom 23 years
    Mom to Jono (15 yrs), Jacob (10 yrs)
    and Mollie (6 yrs, dx 9-16-05, pumping Animas 12-12-05, MM CGMS, now PINK Animas 2020!)
    Nebraska

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mom2jjm View Post
    I see at the end of the tslim YouTube video that this pump is for ages 12 & over. Has anyone had luck getting it for their younger child? My 9 year old daughter is VERY interested in this pump. I showed her the video thinking she might think the touchscreen was cool, but she was totally taken with the idea of the slimmer pump. She doesn't like the pump bulge under her clothing. I believe our ping warranty is up a year from December. We've pumped Animas for 7 years. Looks like I need to update sig line!
    Call tandem and ask them???

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25
    Jesse- 21 - dx'd 12/01, pumping since 4/03
    Pumping with a TSLIM and loving it !
    Dexcoming with a G4 and LOVING it !!

I did go ahead and ask for more information from Tandem. Not quite sure about the recharging, but can't deny...the more I look at this pump, the more interested I become.

Stacey, when your son uses the pump, does his touchscreen ever get "hot"? Like how the phone touchscreens can get? When he boluses, is it easy to accidently stop the bolus because of the touchscreen(which I don't want to do)? The easy bolus on this pump....is it easy to do without seeing the pump? On my MM pump I can do it very easily without having to look.

How is the screen in direct sunlight? Hard to read?

Any chance you can take some pictures of it besides his old Cozmo?
    Danielle, 23
    Dxd, T1, 4/21/08
    Revel 3/2013
    Dexcom G4 1/2013