advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haley was fired after mentioning diabetes!!

Default Haley was fired after mentioning diabetes!!

Ok. I have not been on here in a really long time but I need help and ideas on what to do in this situation. Haley is 15 and found her first job. She was hired at Brusters. She has been so excited finding her own job and making her own money. Long story short..they hired her, she did online training, passed it, went in to talk to manager about her hours, he wanted her to start that day but we did not have a uniform. He told us to go by black pants and start tomorrow. She asked me if she should mention diabetes and I told her no. Well she felt like she should mention it. She was scared she would go low and he would not know what was going on. Anyways, told him. He was fine with it. We left to go to the mall to get pants and about 30 minutes later he calls her saying he does not need her now. He said the hours did not work. Now the hours worked when he didnt know about the diabetes. Now they dont work? She is brokenhearted. What should I do? Do we have a case for a discrimination lawsuit? Is this how her life is going to be? I am just sick with this. D sucks.
    Last edited by BRANDYB; 09-18-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: left words out
    Brandy
    Mom to Haley age 11 dx'd January 07 pumping with Minimed 722 and loving it
    Andrew age 8 non-d

I am a Sr. Manager for a large retail chain and have never come accross a situation like yours. I think if she already finished the entire hiring process you may have a case. I will check with our employee relations department for you and let you know what I find out later today.

Either way it is just wrong.
    Father to Joshua
    12/18/03 - DOB (10)
    10/09/05 - DX T1 (22 Months)
    01/18/09 - OmniPod w/ Apidra
    06/12/09 - DexCom 7+
    11/01/12 - DexCom G4

Do you have any paperwork "proof" that she was hired? Were you with her when she spoke to the manager and he confirmed she was hired and discussed her hours and clothes?

The ADA has some good info and a number to call to get help with discrimination issues in the workplace: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...w-to-get-help/
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

It's highly unlikely that this front-line manager even knows that what he just did was illegal. I would escalate this as calmly as possible to his superior. This is clearly illegal.
    Type 1 Diabetic since 2001. Minimed 722 with Novolog and CGMS.

Dad of Emma, age 9, diagnosed at 9 months pumping with MM REVEL CGMS and Novolog. She also has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Glomerular Nephritis, Multiple-Autoimmune Complex, along with lots of other stuff that makes doctors shrug and say "I dunno."

Brenden, aka "Rhino" age 14. Starting tailback for Clovis Freshman Academy (had to say it).

Husband of Emmasmom.
    www.toosweetboutique.net

Quote Originally Posted by Brensdad View Post
    It's highly unlikely that this front-line manager even knows that what he just did was illegal. I would escalate this as calmly as possible to his superior. This is clearly illegal.
    And if that doesn't work, then the DOC takes over:

https://www.facebook.com/BrustersRealIceCream
    Type 1 Diabetic since 2001. Minimed 722 with Novolog and CGMS.

Dad of Emma, age 9, diagnosed at 9 months pumping with MM REVEL CGMS and Novolog. She also has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Glomerular Nephritis, Multiple-Autoimmune Complex, along with lots of other stuff that makes doctors shrug and say "I dunno."

Brenden, aka "Rhino" age 14. Starting tailback for Clovis Freshman Academy (had to say it).

Husband of Emmasmom.
    www.toosweetboutique.net

Quote Originally Posted by Brensdad View Post
    And if that doesn't work, then the DOC takes over:

https://www.facebook.com/BrustersRealIceCream
    YES! op, please keep us updated! this is just wrong, and people should to think before they let misconceptions scare them away!
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major

this makes me so angry for her! Please let us know what happens. My Mama Bear instincts are all worked up now.
    Misti, mom to Noah (T1). Diagnosed Valentine's Day weekend 2010 in South Korea. He'll start pumping next week! (Minimed Revel). On the Wall of Fame for his latest a1c!

This stinks of something majorly illegal. Depending on how forgiving you are, you can either try and explain to the employer that this is illegal and give them a second chance, or you can call the ADA and ask them for help.
    -Kirsten
    T1D: Dx 10 May 2002
    Minimed Paradigm: 2002 - 2006, Animas 1250 2006 - 2011, Animas Ping 2011; Freestyle 2002-2012; Humalog 2002-2012; Accu-Chek Nano 2012; Novolog 2012, Apidra 2013
    T1D older brother Dx 1997
    T1D younger brother Dx 2008

Electrical Engineering--EIT
    @PurdueMocha and @ferociousmocha on Twitter

I agree with Carol, you need to find out some more facts. Since she never in fact worked there, it may be hard to prove they "fired" her because of her diabetes. Regardless, I believe Georgia, similar to Illinois, is a "employment-at-will" state. This means an employer/employee may terminate the relationship at any time without reason or cause. So even if they did let her go because of the diabetes, they are probably never going to admit to that and you will have a tough time proving it.

Sorry your daughter is dealing with this, but for what it is worth I think she did the right thing by informing them she has diabetes.
    Last edited by Christopher; 09-18-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

I am sorry she had to experience this, but would Haley be happy working for this jerk even if the issue were to be resolved? She is obviously employable, so I would take her enthusiasm to another lucky employer who will benefit from the jerk's ignorance.
    Helen, mom of active 18 year old
    Feb 2014 switched to Animas Vibe with integrated DEX, Inset II
    2008-2014 MM722 and Mio's