advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glucagon at school

Default Glucagon at school

Just a few questions that I have never considered until now...

What kind of plan does your school have for administering glucagon if needed? Who holds it, where? How will it be brought to your child? Do they have any idea how long it will take them to communicate that it is needed and bring it to where it is needed? (and between you and me when it is needed just how fast is it needed?) If the person who is regularly responsible for administering glucagon can't for some reason then who will do it? What kind of language do you have in your 504s regarding glucagon?

If there is anything else you would like to add or ask please do.
    Alan father of daughter with T1D born 2/2005
    Diagnosed 9/07/10, MDI,
    non D Son born 11/00.

You know, I'm glad you asked this, because I don't think we really have anything in my son's 504 about administering glucagon. Am meeting with the school tomorrow...thanks for asking because I am going to check this and add something in if we don't.

We have 2 part time nurses, so there should always be someone there able to administer it. As for how quickly it should be administered, I would say if my son has lost consciousness, to administer as soon as humanly possible.

My son actually carries a glucagon in his supply backpack, which goes everywhere with him at school. Plus, the nurses have an extra in the supply box we leave in their office. They could use either on in an emergency.

Thanks again for bringing this up!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

One Glucagon stays in the nurse's office. Every teacher has a phone in their room, and there are lots of walkie-talkies on campus (although not exactly sure who keeps those). The nurses tell me they grab and go at a run if ever a child needs the Glucagon.

Jason also keeps a Glucagon in his backpack. He's manager for the football team, so he needs it with him when he goes to the remote fieldhouse. He also has it on the bus.

Our district requires that any teacher or aide who has a student with D in class as well as any driver or aide on J's bus must be trained by the district nurse for BG checks and Glucagon administration.

We try to cover everything - but are always open to suggestions on things we've missed!
    Julie
    Mom to 2 great guys
    Clay (22) - non-D
    Jason (20)
    - dx 3/11/11 T1D (age 18) - pumping w/Omnipod 7/2013
    - dx 7/23/12 Celiac disease
    - Hashimoto's disease
    - Down syndrome

In our school there are several people who are trained on glucagon. There are two in the school, one in her classroom taped to the inside cabinet above their sink. On the outside of the door it says glucagon. The other place is in the office where the keep all the other medications. They are kept in a filing cabinet. The glucagon is taped to the inside of the drawer so they won't have to dig.. the cabinet also says glucagon on it. All but three of the regular staff in her school are trained, the specials (music, art, gym) teachers aren't.
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

A very important question to bring up, because it can vary.

My daughter is now at middle school, so it can be a distance to the nurses office at any given time of day. My daughter carries on on her person at all times and there is one in the office. We have two nurses on staff at all times, both are glucagon trained. Sub nurses are trained also, and they always use the same one. Unless she is out on the field for PE, it would be about a minute-two for them to grab the glucagon and get to her. PE has a walkie, all classrooms have a phone.

Keep those expired glucagons to pass on to the school for training!
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Our nurse is trained on glucagon, and it stays in her office. With the CGM, the odds it would ever be used at school are vanishingly small, so I don't really think about it much.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

met with the endo yesterday. Their advise was:

Three people at school should be trained on the use of Glucagon, and it should be stressed that when it is needed it is an emergency and all other concerns should be dropped so that administering Glucagon is of immediate importance.

Additionally, I like what I have seen here about having a label on the front of the drawer or cabinet where the glucagon is kept. I also liked the wording I saw in one of the posts here: "at a run".
    Alan father of daughter with T1D born 2/2005
    Diagnosed 9/07/10, MDI,
    non D Son born 11/00.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeman View Post
    Additionally, I like what I have seen here about having a label on the front of the drawer or cabinet where the glucagon is kept. I also liked the wording I saw in one of the posts here: "at a run".
    I would ask that if it is kept under lock and key, then how easily accessible is the key? Or, if possible, can the glucagon (and it should be the same with the epi-pens)be left unlocked in case of an emergency?
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

We store ours with the first responders to the 911 call. That's all we can do in our neck of the woods.
    Father of Andrew T1: diagnosed Oct/2009 at age 6. MDI, NovoRapid via NovoPen Echo, Lantus via syringe. Stopped using NPH.

Ours is kept in the office. School said it could not be with her because it is a prescription medication. I made the argument that it is like an inhaler. But, evidently, inhalers are kept in the office unless the child is able to administer the medication himself. And, the argument was made to me that when glucagon is needed, the child would not be able to administer the medication to herself. I may sneak one in her supply bag.

Sarah Mom to...
    Holden 13
    Sydney 11
    Meredith 7 (dx 5/12/08) pumping 5/19/11 celiac 8/11 CGM 3/12 DEx g4 8/13
    Wife to Carl

http://sweetceliacandsiblings.wordpress.com