advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drink juice boxes while asleep?

1. Default Drink juice boxes while asleep?

Hi everyone.

I don't post often, but I lurk fairly regularly. I love this board and learn a lot from you all. I decided to post because I am awake in the middle of the night after treating a low and cannot get back to sleep.

Woke about 45 mins ago to check DS; he was 58. Got a juice box and, as usual, he sucked it empty within 10 seconds while remaining completely asleep. He does this often, and he will have no memory of this in the morning. I was just wondering how common this is. How do you treat middle-of-the-night lows? Do your kids stay completely asleep?

(BTW, he came back up. He went to bed a little above 200. Per our endo's instructions, we did not treat the 200. People sometimes ask me why I check him every night. This is why. What if I hadn't caught the 58?)

Thanks for your replies!
    Kate, mom to:
    Andrew, age 10, dx'd 4/8/10, PINGing since 12/10, Dexcom G4 since 4/7/13, CGM in the cloud since 8/30/14
    Henry, age 8, non-d (cough-variant asthma)

Glad he came back up. DS never wakes up from a juice box or a Danimals smoothie. I can break up a soft cookie and he chews in his sleep, too.
    Lisa,
    Mom to Aidan, born 10/12/04, DX 3/17/10 at 5
    MDI, Novolog and Lantus; Dexcom CGM
    Kyle, Non-D, born July 4, 2002

My three year old sucks them down in his sleep too, and has since his diagnosis at two. In fact if you even touch his lips with your finger when he is sleeping, he starts trying to "drink" that!
    Amy
    Mother to Cody, dob 2/8/06, non-D
    and Tyler, dob 3/16/09, dx'd 8/2/11, peanut allergy
    Pumping with MM 530G with enlite and MySentry 4/14

We're 6 years in and my DD has never slept through a drink. Ever. She has to be fully awake, lights on, sitting up every time. Every. Time. And, if we don't provide a steady stream of encouragement to eat and random conversation to distract her, she'll have a meltdown. Poor thing hates waking up. However, she does go back to sleep immediately afterwards and often doesn't remember that she had been awake. So, it's extra time in the middle of the night for us but it seems to work for her.
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (10, diagnosed at 2) MDI 2006-2009. Medtronic pump 2009-2011. MDI 2011-2013. OmniPod 2013. Dexcom and T:Slim 2013-2014. Added Nightscout 2014. Diagnosed with Graves' disease in 2014.
    DS (12, diagnosed at 10) MDI for 3 months. OmniPod and Dexcom 2013-2014. Added Nightscout 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by StacyMM View Post
    We're 6 years in and my DD has never slept through a drink. Ever. She has to be fully awake, lights on, sitting up every time. Every. Time. And, if we don't provide a steady stream of encouragement to eat and random conversation to distract her, she'll have a meltdown. Poor thing hates waking up. However, she does go back to sleep immediately afterwards and often doesn't remember that she had been awake. So, it's extra time in the middle of the night for us but it seems to work for her.
    My son is mostly like this but without the meltdown.
    Mom to only child
    H ~ born 8/2001
    Diagnosed 12/2009 in DKA
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 07/2010

I can treat my son with juice and he will sleep through it all. He has no memory of it in the morning. Sometimes I worry that as an adult it will be so hard for him to wake up and do this all the time. It's one thing I am happy that I can do for him, I would rather it be me up all night than him. He needs his sleep as a growing boy.

But it's the middle of the night lows making me hate this disease even more.
    Mom to DS, 11
    Diagnosed 3/2011 with Type 1
    Pump: MM Revel 12/2011, Omnipod 3/2013
    MM CGM 3/2012, Dexcom G4 3/2013

Now that she's older she is more likely to wake up, at least partially, when I give her a juice and say the usual whispered, "drink this please" but as a little one she could sleep drink with the best of them.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    Now that she's older she is more likely to wake up, at least partially, when I give her a juice and say the usual whispered, "drink this please" but as a little one she could sleep drink with the best of them.
    Same here - he usually wakes up before I do my check if he is low enough to need a juice. When he was little, I would just whisper - drink and swallow and he would do just that until it was gone.
    Son dx 2007, Pumping 2007
    Cgms 2008 Minimed Revel Pump 2010
    6mm Mios

Yup...was doing this myself last night...he sleeps through it every time!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

As I sat awake drinking juice last night, knowing that I would be tired at work today, I wished I could treat lows in my sleep. I think it's great that they can do that for now.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142