advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did YOU get back to YOU?

Default When did YOU get back to YOU?

We're just over a year in, 6 months pumping. I used to be an avid runner but stopped because I was so absorbed the first few months and so tired and didn't want to run while he was at school in case I got some frantic phone call and needed to be at the school right away. As a result, I've put on at solid 10 lb and am pretty sure I'm depressed; I'm desperately lacking motivation. I need to get back to ME but I don't know how to?
    Mom to Max age 11 dx June 11/11
    Pumping!! with OmniPod
    Dex CGM since Aug. 2012

Don't wait. Start putting in time every day for your running. Go around the block. You may feel guilty (it's normal!), but it's totally ok to make some time for yourself, otherwise you'll drive yourself (and others) crazy.

As Nike put it "JUST DO IT".

As for the question on your thread, only last year did I start taking time for myself. I enrolled in Zumba. I won't tell you how many pounds I put in, but, let's just say Greenpeace almost made a shirt for me "Save Paula". Now, I do Zumba. I look goofy doing it, but I truly enjoy it, and I don't think about anything else while doing it.

So......I'm here cheering you on!
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

This is proberly not the best advice, but take your phone with you....if that what it takes to get you out the door, then take it with you...then if something does come up, you can be contacted by phone...the thing about diabetes is that you can "talk" people through what actions need to be taken for a high, a low, battery change etc...if a site needs to be changed and you are the only one that can do it...then turn around and run back home, get in the car and go and do it!

Once you have gone a few times and haven't received a call, then you may be comfortable leaving the phone at home and then checking for messages when you get back from your run.

Babysteps!

Jen, Mom to
    Tyler 14 dxd at 6 (7/8/05)
    Pumping with Green Ping 11/09
    Lantus for basal
    CGM - Dexcom G4
    Minimed 722/CGMS 12/08 - 6/09
    Currently playing Hockey
    & Lilly non -d 7 my soccer playing, dancing drama queen

Always keep in mind, everyone is different, and most of the time solutions come after much trial and error

IT IS WHAT IT IS....

Quote Originally Posted by momofone View Post
    We're just over a year in, 6 months pumping. I used to be an avid runner but stopped because I was so absorbed the first few months and so tired and didn't want to run while he was at school in case I got some frantic phone call and needed to be at the school right away. As a result, I've put on at solid 10 lb and am pretty sure I'm depressed; I'm desperately lacking motivation. I need to get back to ME but I don't know how to?
    I could have written this post myself. I ran a half marathon last October... and then when my daughter was diagnosed in February I basically stopped running. I am on anti-depressants which have not helped with the weight gain.... I need to run again but the fatigue is not helping either. My advice (and I should listen to my own advice too...) is to sign up for a running group or a class or make a commitment to someone else. You are much more likely to get out there when someone else is counting on you. Take your phone, stay close to home if you have to. Running around the block is a step in the right direction.

I know you and I can both do this!
    Mom to 4 Little Girls
    Sydney (9) dx T1 - Feb. 13, 2012
    Clara (7)
    Kaelin (5) dx Celiac - July 2012
    Lilly (3)

It seems to be a vicious cycle, doesn't it? I'm so tired/depressed most of the time so don't feel like running but it's because I'm not running that I'm depressed and tired. I would love to join a running group but we live in a very small town with nothing like that here. I would have to drive half an hour to even get to a running store that has one. We don't even have a gym and no rec centre either.
    Mom to Max age 11 dx June 11/11
    Pumping!! with OmniPod
    Dex CGM since Aug. 2012

It took me a little over a year, but honestly and truly, what pushed me over the edge and actually got me back to me was...RUNNING! So my advice is to take the time to find what you love again.

I gained over 10# that first year on top of a 10 I already had, I finally have it all gone again but that didn't happen until the 2 year mark. Don't wait that long, trust me on this! Having control of my exercise and finding the joy in running again was by and far the most important thing to feeling in control of my life again. It's one of those circular things...not running was causing more depression and more depression made me not want to run. The solution was to force myself to run, and things slowly started to feel good again, mentally and physically.

GO!! Right now, lol.

I have a goal of doing a half marathon before my next birthday, so having a little personal motivation has helped me as well.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    20 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace

It seems to be a vicious cycle, doesn't it? I'm so tired/depressed most of the time so don't feel like running but it's because I'm not running that I'm depressed and tired. I would love to join a running group but we live in a very small town with nothing like that here. I would have to drive half an hour to even get to a running store that has one. We don't even have a gym and no rec centre either.
    Yes. It is a vicious cycle. I am on antidepressants which I need to increase but don't want to because they cause me to gain even more weight

Tomorrow I am going to run for 2km... I can do two km... will you try too???
    Mom to 4 Little Girls
    Sydney (9) dx T1 - Feb. 13, 2012
    Clara (7)
    Kaelin (5) dx Celiac - July 2012
    Lilly (3)

What a great post I am a little over 8 years into this journey and have given up on finding the old me I know that sounds bad but Ive come to accept the fact that that person no longer exists but Ive also come to like and appreciate the person who has taken her place. I do go and do things now and let myself relax and have fun. That was hard at first because I felt that I had to be "on" 24/7 and that is just too much for anyone. I burnt out, sat home and cried alot, saw a therapist, found CWD and remembered that my needs were important too.

If you want to start running or walking again. Make an appt to do that each day, put it on the days schedule that from this time to this time you will be out and doing our run. Tell others what they need to do about d and have your cell phone with you but make sure people only use if for important stuff, not the "How many carbs in _______?" If you schedule this time for yourself, you will start looking forward to it and become comfortable with it. And remember that you are well worth it
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

After we had an understanding of diabetes. That diabetes will be unpredictable and has good and bad days. Life goes on, and our children adapt to the new normal.

I would say time frame was about 6 months after diagnoses. Then a few set backs here and there. Starting the pump was a struggle because of all the new information and classes.
    Sheri
    Daughter dx~ age 12

Amber ~age 17 Pumping w Ping
    Novolog

Faith, Hope, and Love ~
    the greatest of these is Love.

We've run a poll on this general theme --

Parents, how soon after your child's diagnosis did you begin going out again with just your spouse?

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/...ll20120502.htm
    Jeff Hitchcock - President and Founder, CWD
    Father of Marissa (BSN, RN), now 27, married, and mother, dx'd at 24 months