advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And the award for the first kid this summer to jump in the pool with his pump goes to...

Default And the award for the first kid this summer to jump in the pool with his pump goes to...

Us, yay, do we get an award?

Actually we may not be the first, has this happened to anyone else this summer?

My son got out of the pool to bolus for a snack and thought he'd stay out a while, I of course was distracted with the other kids and at some point in the next half hour or so he decided to jump back in. By the time I realized to ask him, he was getting out to tell me, uh oh, he left it on.

It seemed to work just fine, but we called medtronic and they said do not put it back on him, it was likely damaged and they are sending a new one Thursday am (because of the holiday).

He was "thrilled" to get the dreaded lantus shot but its only a day and a half, and honestly, there is a piece of me that is happy he had an hour or so of forgetting about his damn diabetes.

So, putting aside whether his BGs are a little off, is there anything else I should be aware of during this short transition back to injections? Our nurse practioner and I figured out his lantus based on his current basals, the carb ratios and sensitivity stay the same, we temporarily reduce the basal when he is back on the pump on Thursday until the lantus runs through his system. Anything Im forgetting or not thinking of?

Thanks.
    Rosemarie

Mom to:
    William, age 11, diagnosed 11/10/11, MM CGMS (2/20/12), MM revel blue (4/4/12), Dex G4 (11/22/12)
    James, age 8, nonD
    Grace, 7, nonD

Personally, I would inspect the pump for any hair line cracks and or water in the batery o cartridge compartment, and if nothing I would keep the pump on and just check bg to keep make sure no problems.

We have an animas and have gone in the pool and fresh water many times, she even has done the water parks with it on.

But that is just me, If I was hesitant about going on shots for just a few days then i would wade it out.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Well...not the pool, but a few weeks ago my 3 year old fell in the horse's water tank with his pump! So I guess we have you beat by a few weeks LOL He was soaked, but wasn't in the water for more than a few seconds. The pump worked fine and we have had no issues, luckily.
    Amy
    Mother to Cody, dob 2/8/06, non-D
    and Tyler, dob 3/16/09, dx'd 8/2/11, peanut allergy
    Pumping with MM Revel 10/19/11

Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    Personally, I would inspect the pump for any hair line cracks and or water in the batery o cartridge compartment, and if nothing I would keep the pump on and just check bg to keep make sure no problems.

We have an animas and have gone in the pool and fresh water many times, she even has done the water parks with it on.
    Right, but isn't the Ping waterproof? Our pump is not, and although it seemed ok, customer service told me he buttons could start sticking and they couldn't guarantee it would function properly. So it was a no brainer.
    Rosemarie

Mom to:
    William, age 11, diagnosed 11/10/11, MM CGMS (2/20/12), MM revel blue (4/4/12), Dex G4 (11/22/12)
    James, age 8, nonD
    Grace, 7, nonD

Quote Originally Posted by mysweetwill View Post
    Right, but isn't the Ping waterproof? Our pump is not, and although it seemed ok, customer service told me he buttons could start sticking and they couldn't guarantee it would function properly. So it was a no brainer.
    Once out of the box and in use neither the ping nor the mm is really "waterproof", though most can get wet without a problem. But all it takes is one hairline crack to render either pump not waterproof.

That said, if the pump seemed undamaged I'd go ahead and use it if at all possible.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    Once out of the box and in use neither the ping nor the mm is really "waterproof", though most can get wet without a problem. But all it takes is one hairline crack to render either pump not waterproof.

That said, if the pump seemed undamaged I'd go ahead and use it if at all possible.
    What she said - but if I felt more comfortable using shots, I would use shots. We have done both in this situation.
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

Apparently the Aquapack got a slice from rocks while building sandcastles at camp, so when my daughter climbed out of the pool at a party last week, the pump was in a pouch of water. It's working fine; it didn't occur to me to call Medtronic.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by MomofSweetOne View Post
    Apparently the Aquapack got a slice from rocks while building sandcastles at camp, so when my daughter climbed out of the pool at a party last week, the pump was in a pouch of water. It's working fine; it didn't occur to me to call Medtronic.

In that case I may not have called either, but he was in the pool a while. Just out of curiosity I was playing around with the pump just now and buttons were sticking, I couldnt click into some areas. So better safe than sorry.
    Rosemarie

Mom to:
    James, age 8, nonD
    Grace, 7, nonD

would the new pump be free in such situation or would Metronic want monies for it?

Ha, Ha...I laughed when I saw this thread because my DS did the same thing a few weeks ago. We were all at the pool, he had reconnected for snack and then the lifeguard blew their whistle so all the kids could get back in the water after the 10 min break and in he went. I was distracted with my other kiddos and next thing I knew DS was coming out of the water soaking wet saying: "Uh oh".

We just towel dried the pump and it seemed to be working fine so we didn't call Medtronic. He was only in the water long enough to go under and then realized it was still on.

I figured it happens to every kid now and then. On one hand, I was so glad he could forget he had diabetes for a minute and on the other I was scared he broke his pump. All is well though!
    Mom to DS, 11
    Diagnosed 3/2011 with Type 1
    Pump: MM Revel 12/2011, Omnipod 3/2013
    MM CGM 3/2012, Dexcom G4 3/2013