advertisement

Thread: How to mud-proof a pump?

Default How to mud-proof a pump?

Just signed up my daughter for a "wilderness school" day camp this summer, and now I'm thinking through the logistics. The parent information I've received suggests keeping a supply of plastic garbage bags in the car for the week, so that your mud-covered child doesn't ruin the car upholstery on the drive home! Sounds like loads of fun, and right up my dd's alley - the dirtier and more nature-oriented the activity, the better. But how do we keep her pump relatively clean and dry?

She has a MM waterproof pump pack, but it's hard plastic, you have to take the pump out of the case to operate it, and you can't hear CGM alarms through it. Good for an hour or two of swimming, but not for a whole day's activities. I've read about some soft plastic pump cases that allow operation and hearing alarms without taking the pump out, but am concerned that they will restrict insulin flow, especially since she has very low basal rates.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    JoAnn
    DD #1 - 16 y.o., non-D
    DD#2 - 12 y.o., dx'd 12/24/2007; pumping since 4/2008, using MM 523 Revel since 4/13/2010; CGMSing since 8/2008; using Enlite sensors with 523 pump since 1/1/2014.

Take the pump off before doing these sort of activities. It isn't worth it for the pump to be damaged.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

I would just put the pump in a ziplock bag inside a pump pouch. If there is a particular activity that will be very muddy, she could disconnect and put a cap on her pump site. I can't imagine that the pump would get too dirty in a pump pouch, though.
    Jill - adult type 1.
    Minimed pump, Dexcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy C. View Post
    Take the pump off before doing these sort of activities. It isn't worth it for the pump to be damaged.
    I get concerned with this idea because (a) she's so scattered and distractible that I'm concerned that she'd forget to put it back on, (b) I think it's going to be hard to differentiate messy vs. non-messy times of day - it kind of sounds like any time is fair game, and (c) she won't really have a safe place to put it as they traipse around the woods. In a pinch that's what we'll tell her to do, but it worries me.
    JoAnn
    DD #1 - 16 y.o., non-D
    DD#2 - 12 y.o., dx'd 12/24/2007; pumping since 4/2008, using MM 523 Revel since 4/13/2010; CGMSing since 8/2008; using Enlite sensors with 523 pump since 1/1/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jilmarie View Post
    I would just put the pump in a ziplock bag inside a pump pouch. If there is a particular activity that will be very muddy, she could disconnect and put a cap on her pump site. I can't imagine that the pump would get too dirty in a pump pouch, though.
    I had thought of the ziploc bag, but hadn't thought of putting it in another pump pack - great idea. I had figured she'd need to put it in the ziploc in her pocket, and didn't think she'd like to do that (she usually wears it clipped to her waistband). But the bag inside a pump pack might just work- thanks!
    JoAnn
    DD #1 - 16 y.o., non-D

I wouldn't worry too much about damage. MM pumps are built like tanks. It would probably be fine in just a pump pack, but if you stick it in a baggie first, it should not be a problem.

Hope she has fun!
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about damage. MM pumps are built like tanks. It would probably be fine in just a pump pack, but if you stick it in a baggie first, it should not be a problem.

Hope she has fun!
    I second this.. Unless the pump has cracks in its casing, you'll be fine.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Everything I was going to say has already been suggested. I don't know what kind of pouch you have, but I'd see if there was room to stick some smarties or glucose tabs in there. The less she has to carry with her the better. Sounds like a great experience!
    LIBBY homeschooling mama to:
    Ella age 11 Dx T1 at 30 months (2/9/04). Hypothyroidism 4 years. Asthma 6 years. Evan's Syndrome 7 years. Celiac 10 years
    Pumping with purple minimed since 9/07
    Caleb age 8
    Nick, age 6 ADHD, SPD, PTSD and mood disorder NOS (probable bipolar disorder)
    Lydia, age 5 SPD
    Adam, age 3 Allergic to everything
    Linnea-Claire, age 22 months

another option would be to go untethered for the duration of camp=)
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major

The mm waterproof pump pack is a waste of money.

Try the aquapac. It's soft and you can push buttons right through it. It's kind of floppy but you can use a different belt or put the whole thing in a fanny pack. If just dirt is the broblem, there's Glad Press and Seal Wrap. I doubt it would keep water out if submersed but it should keep it clean.
    Denise,
    DD age 12, dx at 4 (Oct 2006), MM Jul 2009, Guardian Feb 2010, Omnipod Jul 2012, Dex Jan 2013,
    Dex/Cloud Jul 2014. Also peanut allergic and asthmatic.
    DS age 14, non-D, but peanut allergic and asthamtic too. Also Asperger's, ADHD, and a pinch of OCD.