advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How has T1 affected mom and dad (family) health?

Default How has T1 affected mom and dad (family) health?

My 14 YO daughter was diagnosed 06/11 so we are almost to the year mark. she is doing great. Went on to pumping mm in Dec and got a CGM sensor last month. DD takes on so much of her care that I am in awe of her. I have never inserted a site, only gave 2 shots but have had to insert sensors in the back of her arms. When she figures out how to do that on her on I am sure she will fire me.
    I am just curious about how diabetes has affected other T1 families.
    Example: I don't sleep well, even when I sleep I feel like I am never rested when I wake up. For the last 6 months I have also "suffered" from itching in the middle of the night. Different areas of the body, not every night. Never a rash or an itch during the day. I believe it is from stress. I have become more organized than I ever dreamed possible though. DH does a good job with DD when I am not availible but then he mostly asks her what her numbers are and that sort of stuff. He does not exhibit any stress symptoms.
    Any suggestions on how to heal me?
    Mother to 3

Paige-Dx 06-09-11 age 13
    Pumping pink minimed 12-13-2011
    Non-D children: Chance-25; TJ-24

You may want to start by trying to identify what exactly you are stressed about. I am not seeing anything in your post that indicates it is related to diabetes.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 16 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

lol, when I read this post I almost went down stairs and asked my mom if she wrote it=)

i'm 17 and was dx at almost 15, I went on the pump 6 months in and started the dex a month ago. I'm like your daughter, I like to do it all myself=) though when I do arm site for sensors mama has to do them.

My mom's health hasn't been so great since I was dx either, but I think for her all those sleepless nights weakened her immune system and she just kinda catches everything=(

btw, even if your dd is 'doing' all the work, your still helping her, I've had to do without my mom for a bit (while she was sick) and let me tell its much harder without someone by your side=(
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major

I am now having panic attacks. They are slowly getting better as time goes on though.

I also had a hypoglycemia episode a couple of months after my son was diagnosed. I was completely shocked because I had never experienced one of those before. I actually have met two other mothers who did the same thing after their children were diagnosed.

I think the combination of stress, worry, lack of sleep, and other things do take a toll on us after a while and your body eventually just says "that's enough." It is very hard on me as I have always had strong mind and strong body, with no health issues at all and now I feel like I'm falling apart.
    Mommy to Two Angels...
    Kara (11) Non-D
    John (8) D-Diagnosed 11/11
    Pumping with Medtronic Paradigm Revel 5/12
    Monitoring with Dexcom 9/13

Romans 12:12,"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
    Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you."

Quote Originally Posted by tonnia View Post
    My 14 YO daughter was diagnosed 06/11 so we are almost to the year mark. she is doing great. Went on to pumping mm in Dec and got a CGM sensor last month. DD takes on so much of her care that I am in awe of her. I have never inserted a site, only gave 2 shots but have had to insert sensors in the back of her arms. When she figures out how to do that on her on I am sure she will fire me.
    I am just curious about how diabetes has affected other T1 families.
    Example: I don't sleep well, even when I sleep I feel like I am never rested when I wake up. For the last 6 months I have also "suffered" from itching in the middle of the night. Different areas of the body, not every night. Never a rash or an itch during the day. I believe it is from stress. I have become more organized than I ever dreamed possible though. DH does a good job with DD when I am not availible but then he mostly asks her what her numbers are and that sort of stuff. He does not exhibit any stress symptoms.
    Any suggestions on how to heal me?
    Well... you have a 25 year old so I'll hazard a guess that the sleeplessness and itching could as easily be menopause as D stress. Maybe it's worth asking your doc?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I know my mum didn't sleep well for ~6 months after I was diagnosed - she was very anxious about D back then. But after that point and since I was dealing well with things myself, I don't think she's been particularly stressed about D.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

We just went through a rough 3 weeks that started with medication changing BGs. Lots of multiple alarm nights for either highs or lows. I got to a point the exhaustion was overwhelming. I was dizzy whenever I stood, which I knew meant my adrenals were feeling the stress. I've also been feeling blood sugar swings, etc. that also indicate my adrenals have been under great stress. Fortunately, her BGs have calmed down and I've slowed down to get more rest. Diabetes is definitely hard on my health. I only have to look in the mirror to know I've aged years in the last 21 months.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

8. Default :( right there with you

We have only been on this diabetes journey for just under two months. My anxiety is through the roof and I get itchy from extended periods of stress too. I'm sleep deprived, worried, frustrated, and overwhelmed. BUT, I am HAPPY to do it... why? Because my 4 year old isn't sleep deprived, worried, frustrated or overwhelmed. I'm doing it for him. I'm living it for him and I'm SO thankful that I can do that for him.

When I got divorced a few years ago, my doctor gave me xanax for panicky times. I have a Rx for them but am petrified to use them because I feel like my mind needs to be ON THE BALL day or night, ready to jump in and rescue my baby if he needs me. If your daughter is old enough to recognize her symptoms and treat on her own, get some xanax... it will help you sleep. Taking it at bedtime is the least addictive way to take it.

I had my annual gyn exam recently and my doc doesn't think it is my hormones (yet) and just really acted like I was a complainer and she didn't really know what it was. So I left it alone.
    Thanks ladies for the input. I know I am not alone dealing with T1 but now I know that me having sleep issues and itching is not just me being weird. Maybe when school lets out life will slow down a touch and my symptoms will improve.
    Thanks PianoPlayer4 your comment touched a place in my heart
    Mother to 3

Paige-Dx 06-09-11 age 13
    Pumping pink minimed 12-13-2011
    Non-D children: Chance-25; TJ-24

When I've had times of high stress, I itch all over as well. It keeps me up at night. When things calm down, it goes away.
    Aimee in New Jersey
    mom to Sean (14)- non D
    Hana (13) T1 dx 3/3/10
    Case (10) non D
    wife to Scott
    Pumping with OmniPod
    Dex G4