advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are schools resistant to 504 plans?

Default Why are schools resistant to 504 plans?

I've been reading all the school related and 504 threads. It seems to be a recurring theme that while many parents want 504 plans for their T1 child, many schools are resistant to them.

I'm just curious as to why a school wouldn't want one in place. Anyone know? Is it more work? Too involved?

Charlotte will be in half day kindergarten this coming year. I've talked very briefly with the nurse's aide, but from our conversation it sounds like the school really "gets" diabetes, which has been a huge relief. I'm trying to put together the information needed for next year and am thinking about a 504. But so much of what I've read makes me think if I pursue a 504, there's a good chance it's going to be a battle. And I'm not sure I'm up for that yet.

No, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. You just read more about the difficult cases because who's going to post "I had a quick and easy 504 meeting" kwim?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I agree with Sarah Maddie's mom. I think with any forum we post when frustrated and not necessarily when things are going smoothly. In our case, our school nurse and principal called a 504 meeting within 1 week of my son's diagnosis. They were very proactive, and helped me understand what his rights and their obligations were. My school has always allowed changes in his management that were not specifically articulated in 504, things that we learned from living with diabetes for 6 mos that we would never have known initially, i.e. how gym, recess, test taking effect his BG, how much his management has changed (injections to pump). We will formally add those changes in now for next year. I would think that if your school really "gets diabetes" there should be no battle. Good luck!
    Rosemarie

Mom to:
    William, age 11, diagnosed 11/10/11, MM CGMS (2/20/12), MM revel blue (4/4/12), Dex G4 (11/22/12)
    James, age 8, nonD
    Grace, 7, nonD

Joshua started full day kindergarten this year. 7 months post diagnosis. met with the school staff principal, nurse, gyn teacher, etc before school started. we have very close contact with the school, they know us by voice over the phone.

he is 504 but no one called it that. didn't even know about 504 till a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    No, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. You just read more about the difficult cases because who's going to post "I had a quick and easy 504 meeting" kwim?
    I had a quick and easy 504 meeting. But they did try to discourage us from having one. It wasn't a hard sell discourage just a you don't really need it but if you must no problem. Honest we've had no issues ever with her care but I like that it's there "just in case".

I think it does entail more paperwork and time out of people's days. Also I don't think sometimes they don't hear what you're asking.
    Mom to Madison (18)
    dxd 8/5/09
    Omnipod pump using Novalog 4/10
    Dexcom 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by KatieSue View Post
    I had a quick and easy 504 meeting. But they did try to discourage us from having one. It wasn't a hard sell discourage just a you don't really need it but if you must no problem. Honest we've had no issues ever with her care but I like that it's there "just in case".

I think it does entail more paperwork and time out of people's days. Also I don't think sometimes they don't hear what you're asking.
    that's how it was for us. They just didn't think it was necessary yet once I explained that I wanted it they knew they needed to have the meeting and do it.

To give you a frame of reference now - we've had a 504 since K in 2005. He's just finishing 6th grade and our 504 review this year went like this :
    Phone
    Mrs Coordinator: HI, we need to set up a meeting for his 504 review
    Me: ok well nothing is changing so if you want to just send me the form and I'll sign it.
    Mrs Coordinator; sounds good.

and that was IT. lol.
    son, age 13; dx 2005 @ age 5
    Pumps:Cozmo 2006; Revel 2010
    CGMS: MM 2010; Dexcom G4 2013

7. Default

my son was in part time K this year at diagnosis - the Endo's office sent home with us from Dx and training with a school plan all filled out for the school as to what his levels needed to be before recess, PE and going home on the bus and what they needed to do if they were not at the target level or higher. It also had in it about snacks and carbs for lunch and some other info but I can't remember what it all was right now - it was a very simple template that had different areas for MDI and pumps usage.

As for a 504 we discussed it prior to him returning to school but decided to hold off until he was a little older and we got a feel for how things were going to work with testing and shots.

Just my personal opinion - get a 504 in place before you *need* it. You can request a review/changes at any time.
    Becky Aussi L'Autre
    Just takin' it all in.
    T
    -T1 Dx 5/2/06 at age 13
    (MDI) CGM - G4 5/13

I think one of the main reasons that some schools don't like 504 plans and try to discourage them is that they hold the schools accountable and open them up to potential liability.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (16) dx July 2007, T:slim & Dexcom; & Thomas (12) non-D

I don't think that is a fair statement, like others have said. You only read about the bad ones.

How many hundreds of parents here have had no problems with 504's versus the handful or two that have had them?
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4