advertisement

Thread: Getting Care for an Uninsured Student in GA

Default Getting Care for an Uninsured Student in GA

Hello

I usually hang out over in Parents of Children section. But I am hoping I may be able to get some advice here.

A 19 year old daughter of a friend of mine was recently diagnosed. She is 1000 miles away from her family at college in GA. Unfortunately she is uninsured and is getting all of her information and (limited) help from a clinic.

The clinic- noting her age- decided she was Type 2 (without doing any testing) and put her on diabetes medication and also meds for high blood pressure. They are also trying to teach her about portion control and limiting her carbs. Yet at the same time they have prescribed insulin and syringes. Seems to me that they are educating her about Type 2 when what she needs is education about Type 1.

Her older brother (21) was diagnosed with Type 1 at twelve- so she does have some support over the phone/email.

She is in the Savannah area. Does anyone know of any programs or endos in the area that would consider seeing an uninsured college student?

(For what it is worth- I admit to getting this info second hand from her mom, it may be lacking in details and/or accuracy. I was under the impression that colleges/universities generally required some sort of health plan before registering? I also intend to look in to what is available for college age students in GA as far as a state plan- any info is appreciated.)
    Paula

mom to:

daughter 06/91 non D (epilepsy)
    son 06/94 non D (Juvenile Rheum Arthr)
    daughter 02/97 non D
    daughter 05/00 T1 Dx 03/11/Animas Ping/Dexacom

2. Default

If the parents of this 19 year old have insurance coverage she can be insured under their plan until she is 25 - one of the Obama health care changes that took place. They should check into that and see if she can get on their plan for coverage

Quote Originally Posted by pabiabi View Post
    Hello

I usually hang out over in Parents of Children section. But I am hoping I may be able to get some advice here.

A 19 year old daughter of a friend of mine was recently diagnosed. She is 1000 miles away from her family at college in GA. Unfortunately she is uninsured and is getting all of her information and (limited) help from a clinic.

The clinic- noting her age- decided she was Type 2 (without doing any testing) and put her on diabetes medication and also meds for high blood pressure. They are also trying to teach her about portion control and limiting her carbs. Yet at the same time they have prescribed insulin and syringes. Seems to me that they are educating her about Type 2 when what she needs is education about Type 1.

Her older brother (21) was diagnosed with Type 1 at twelve- so she does have some support over the phone/email.

She is in the Savannah area. Does anyone know of any programs or endos in the area that would consider seeing an uninsured college student?

(For what it is worth- I admit to getting this info second hand from her mom, it may be lacking in details and/or accuracy. I was under the impression that colleges/universities generally required some sort of health plan before registering? I also intend to look in to what is available for college age students in GA as far as a state plan- any info is appreciated.)
    1. If her brother is type 1 she needs to be tested C-Peptide. She needs to demand this. Oral meds will just make her blood sugar continue to get worse.
    2. College only offer insurance at the beginning of the semester. So, if she didn't sign up then she can't get insurance until summer or fall depending on when she is registered for classes.
    3. Like mentioned above if her parents have insurance then she can be on theirs until 25.
    Connor dx 10/26/03
    Delaney dx 12/04/04 at WDW
    Kelley and Blair non D

http://thebetesnow.com/

Every college that my kids have attended made you have health insurance. You either have to buy what the college has ( usually very inexpensive) , or sign a waiver and show proof of your own policy.... so it's weird to me that she has nothing.
    Can she get medicaid?

Stacey
    mom to Allison-27-
    Daniel 25
    Jesse- 21 - dx'd 12/01, pumping since 4/03
    Pumping with a TSLIM and loving it !
    Dexcoming with a G4 and LOVING it !!