advertisement

Thread: Fingers crossed....1st attempt at GF bread in new bread machine!

Default Fingers crossed....1st attempt at GF bread in new bread machine!

Hello everyone!

Thanks to the excellent directions on Eileen's blog, I am attempting my first loaf of bread...ever! Thank you so much for your blog, with pictures for people like me! It's cooking now and has just a few minutes left, I am so excited! I am also scared it may not be any good because my yeast never got foamy like hers did in her pics...?
    Who knows, maybe my sons celiac dx will bring out the (hidden) Betty Crocker in me....haha!
    I will let you know how it turns out.

Candy

Mom to
    Kaelynn-16
    Kassandra-12
    Christopher-7 (Dx'd T1 @26 Months-2/23/2008)
    Pumping Minimed 522 Paradigm (6/18/2008)
    Minilink CGM (7/21/08)
    Apidra Started (4/7/2009)

Default It was amazing!!

The bread came out perfect! I cannot believe how good it is! All my kids ate 2 pieces each and so did the neighbor kids that were here! It's already almost gone!
    I took a picture I will try to upload it!

Mom to
    Kaelynn-16
    Kassandra-12
    Minilink CGM (7/21/08)

Awesome!! So glad it worked well for you, and that all the kids liked it. Home baked bread is the best, no doubt about it.

My mum and sister came to visit me at university and we popped into a local GF cafe for lunch, and the food was SO good. I'd always imagined (purely based on anecdotal evidence) that GF food had to be dry and crumbly and taste wrong, but apparently it really doesn't have to.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Yay! I'm so glad my pictures helped!

And don't worry about the foam on the yeast. Sometimes mine does that, and sometimes it doesn't. But the bread is almost always perfect!

What bread mix did you use?
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 18 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09

Quote Originally Posted by Caldercup View Post
    Yay! I'm so glad my pictures helped!

And don't worry about the foam on the yeast. Sometimes mine does that, and sometimes it doesn't. But the bread is almost always perfect!

What bread mix did you use?
    I used Pamela's bread mix! It was so delicious, it's all gone now! You don't happen to know a rough carb count on a slice of this bread would be do you?!

Thank you so much again, your photos and step by step directions made the task so easy and fun!

Candy

Mom to
    Kaelynn-16
    Kassandra-12
    Minilink CGM (7/21/08)

Congrats!! Bread is tricky. After 8 months, we finally found one Meredith would eat. Way to go!

Sarah Mom to...
    Holden 13
    Sydney 11
    Meredith 7 (dx 5/12/08) pumping 5/19/11 celiac 8/11 CGM 3/12 DEx g4 8/13
    Wife to Carl

http://sweetceliacandsiblings.wordpress.com

In a bread machine, you can get 2 loaves out of 1, if you use the mix only cycle , and then split the dough into 2 loaf pans and let them rise 1-3 hours(my rule of thumb is to let it rise 1.5 - 3 inches above the top of the pan, usually bake 40 minutes
    My 1st meter from the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by chocoholicsc View Post
    You don't happen to know a rough carb count on a slice of this bread would be do you?!
    The carb ratio that works for us is .44 (multiply the gram weight of the slice by .44 to get the carb count on that slice.)

Did I mention that we buy the Pamela's bread mix by the 25-pound bag from Amazon.com. Using the "Subscribe and save" feature, we cut even more off of the bulk rate. We tend to use up the 25 pounds in about 3 months of making 1-2 loaves a week.
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 18 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09