advertisement

Thread: Reflections

Default Reflections

I talked to the Medtronic rep yesterday, she called to let me know our warranty was running out soon. We started talking about the Revel and I was so excited, Will is older now and has such a knowledge about pumps that he can help make the decision this time. I hung up the phone smiling, excited to trial a new pump.

Today I wake up and begin thinking of where we started and where we are now. I remember that first pump choice being one of the hardest decisions we have ever made, wondering if Will would even like it, wondering if I could really learn how to use it, wondering if it would be the right fit, how would he sleep, play, swim with it, would he break it....

Here we are 4 years after that first pump, time has flown by and our lives have changed in ways we could have never imagined 5 years ago. I have a hard time remembering life without the big D in it. I have found that we search out everything pertaining to diabetes: research; new gadgets; new flavors of glucose tabs, etc. We get excited when we hear new advances in Type 2 care as well.

My 9 year old counts carbs, knows what kind of foods will affect his blood sugar in bizarre ways, he knows what food has no carbs. He has learned that he does have control in his diabetes management. He can pump or he doesn't have to, he has that choice, it's his to make. I would never imagined this would be in his life when he was born.

Our children are awesome as they face this disease head on and we as parents should be proud of our children and ourselves for being pro-active. We have some of the most intellegent children in the world! If you are reading this YOU and your families are awesome!
    Cindy
    Mom to Will dxd 7/07
    pumper of Novolog with a Blue Revel and Sure T's

Congrats on the revel! We got ours in July and love it
    And I feel the same way...The kids are amazing, and you never could've imagined how far they've come when they were diagnosed.
    Good for both of you on 5 healthy years! My girl just celebrated 8 in February and wow does it feel like a lifetime ago.
    LIBBY homeschooling mama to:
    Ella age 11 Dx T1 at 30 months (2/9/04). Hypothyroidism 4 years. Asthma 6 years. Evan's Syndrome 7 years. Celiac 10 years
    Pumping with purple minimed since 9/07
    Caleb age 8
    Nick, age 6 ADHD, SPD, PTSD and mood disorder NOS (probable bipolar disorder)
    Lydia, age 5 SPD
    Adam, age 3 Allergic to everything
    Linnea-Claire, age 22 months