advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasters and atopic dermatitis

Default Plasters and atopic dermatitis

My daughter 6 (T1 for 3 years) was just diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. Her skin itches most of the time and now since summer is coming its getting worse.

She is wearing pump and sensor from diagnosis. Pump is not that of a problem but sensor is nightmare. Today she pulled 3rd in 3 days. We have Medtronic, using mostly buttock or upper legs. When I place it without any plasters it comes out very fast, but when I plaster it with anything, it itches especially when she plays and start sweating and then she scratches the site until it goes out.

I have tried all the plaster available in the market, I have tried also Cavilon spray, which suppose to give barrier so plasters are not in contacts.

I don't know what to do anymore. Without sensor - NO WAY.
    Sophie 5, born 12.05.06 DXD Nov 08, CGMS with MM, Last A1C 6,5
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

Have you tried Hypafix? Just wanted to check, because my skin breaks into a rash very easily and although it sometimes looks a little irritated after wearing Hypafix, it's nothing like with any other tape I've tried. I think Hypafix is the same tape that they use on pump sites.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

yes we have, it worked for a while but then same like all the others
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

I was going to suggest Hypafix too. I wish I had other suggestions. I hope you find something that is bearable for her.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (16) dx July 2007, T:slim & Dexcom; & Thomas (12) non-D

Isaac has dermatitis and eczema, too. What we've found is that we have to rotate all the things we use to try and keep the skin from breaking out too much and creating too much of a sensitivity. Between rotations we use aquaphor or lansinoh (weird I know!) When he has baths we use oatmeal to help heal and soothe the skin. As for sites we change them every two days and rotate the sites a lot. When we use the CGM we can't go over a week without any trouble, and even that is sometimes extra rough on his skin.
    So, my suggestion is more palliative - try and heal the skin, rotate the skin prep you use, rotate the tape you use and when you can (even if for a few hours) give her skin a break.
    I hope something helps, it is no fun to remove a site and see a raised sore spot on their skin, nor to have to keep doing the CGM just due to irritation.
    HTH
    Sarah
    wife to TJ (t1d for 20yrs) MDI lantus/humalog
    mother to Ethan (non-d) 8 years old
    and Isaac (dx 11/09 at 19 months old) 6 years old, pumping on MM Revel (6wks post dx) with Novolog and Dexcom G4 (love it!!!)
    ~dx with Celiac Disease July 2013

Would it be possible to switch to another CGM? I know that the Navigator is still for sale in some parts of Europe and Asia, although not in the US. The minimed sensors irritated my skin and caused me pain far far more than the Dexcom sensors (although other users have the opposite experience).
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

thaks a lot for trying to help.
    With regards to rotating the plasters, I have thought of that and sometimes have done it, so must try it again.
    And with swathing sensors. I not think its the sensor, because main itching comes from plasters i cover it to keep it stable.
    But not bad idea as well
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

Switching to Dexcom sensors, because of the shape of the sensor, let me stop using additional adhesives to keep the sensors on. That was also good for my skin.
    But if the plasters (bandaids to me) are the main source of skin irritation, can you try the sensors without them? My impression with minimed sensors was that without additional adhesives they would not last as long but they would still work for some time- and perhaps that would be worthwhile if that allows the skin to stay usable for longer.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

I have tried that as well. Second sensor this week, i have not plastered and she scratched it and pulled it after 4 hours. So did not really lasted((((

I am really getting a bit desperate, since I don't know what to do really and summer and sweating is only arriving
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

It sounds like your little one has very sensitive skin. I have found only one type of transparent dressing that I do not have an allergy to... It is called Kendall Polyskin II, it's moisture vapor permeable. So it lets the sweat evaporate. It is quite a bit more expensive than the other over dressings. I don't use it anymore as the barrier products have worked for me. There are a few different barrier product available, the one I am currently using is called skin gel protective dressing wipe made by Hollister (7917). Is it possible that your child is sensitive to the alcohol in these products. If so try not using alcohol and just washing well with soap and water. Another hint I recieved from someone was to use a spray on anti-perspirant to stop the sweating and possibly stopping the reaction between skin and adhesive in the dressing. Keep trying, you will find what works for you.
    Darlene