advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Start pumping Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by cm4kelly View Post
    It allowed us so much freedom whenever he wanted a snack - we could say yes, just punch in the carbs and go.

Weird, huh? We got used to our tight eating schedule over the past six months.

Mom to 13 yr old dd, dx 10/2011
    OmniPod 5/2012
    Dexcom G4 5/2013

Good luck! I hope it goes well. Remember, they are just numbers and they can be corrected! Anything new is rough at first!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor's Mom View Post
    Good luck! I hope it goes well. Remember, they are just numbers and they can be corrected! Anything new is rough at first!
    Your right. Sometimes before I take her bsg, I'm thinking I did everything right, counted right, insulined her right and she is 300????!!!! Just a number
    Mom to Erin
    Dx 12/19/2011
    at 2 1/2 years old
    Four years old
    Pumping medtronic 5/3/2012
    Dexcoming g4 4/15/2013
    And loving it!!!!

Good luck! We start on May 11th with the animas ping. So scared but so excited too

Vanessa Mom to Brielle Scarlett born 9-6-06, diagnosed type 1 on 6-20-12 and started pumping with animas ping May 2012, Liam Trevor 3-3-09, Sydney Alivia 1-27-11, and baby #4 due March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy For Life View Post
    DD started pumping in February...she loves it! Only advice is look for patterns....DD had more highs at night, a few hours after bed. If I saw three days of highs, up went the basals! Also, try to get the basals set for the night down first then move to morning, lunch, dinner. One more thing breath!! Good luck! Did you get the book Pumping Insulin yet? A must read!
    We are on day 5. We have family giving us the same advice about getting the basals right first starting with night, then morn, lunch, dinner. The first couple of days caused some anxiety but we love it now! We use the inset 30 with the Animas ping. The infusion set was our main concern. We did one site change on Saturday and she did not want to co-operate. I intend to do much better preparation next time. She needs to be in a happy mood when we start the infusion set change. My second point would be to do extra bg tests initially so you can see some trends.
    ------------------------------
    Dad of 3yr old with type 1
    11/9/2011 dx, a1c 10.5
    3/30/2012 a1c 8.1
    4/26/2012 Animas Ping
    Oct 2012 a1c 7.5
    11/9/2012 Dexcom G4

Good Luck! We start on May 8th and I can't wait! My son is so excited! I just hope I'm not in a puddle of tears for a week.

The few things people have told me are...

1. Write down the steps of how to do things step by step when you have the trainer with you. Apparently, you may think you'll remember how to do things because they seem so obvious but two days later, when you have to do them yourself, you can't remember.

2. Write down any questions you have ahead of time and don't let the trainer rush you.

3. Ask what to do when/if your child goes low and you can't get him/her back up. This happened to a friend of mine and she said she had to feed her son carbs all night because she didn't know what her options were.

4. Have all of your contact numbers in one place and by your phone so in the middle of the night or when you may be nervous, you don't have to look for them.

5. Do not take all of your supplies out of the boxes. Leave them in the boxes just in case you have to exchange them. Apparently, it is a good idea to leave them in the boxes always in case they are recalled because the lot numbers are easier to find and they are easier to return for replacements.

I'm trying to gather more tips before May 8th!
    Mommy to Two Angels...
    Kara (11) Non-D
    John (8) D-Diagnosed 11/11
    Pumping with Medtronic Paradigm Revel 5/12
    Monitoring with Dexcom 9/13

Romans 12:12,"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
    Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you."