advertisement

Thread: Good endo visit

Default Good endo visit

I never much have liked this endo from day one.. Too much of the "sargeant" attitude... and basically this was to be the last visit with her and if Daniel was unhappy with it we were going to change.. Well she was quite friendly and caring this time around..Very patient with Daniel's question. We talked about his behavior we've been having some problems with, getting angry and him stating he won't eat or take his shots or let me check him.. Its been happening on and off now for a few months. Endo called it something, but suggested counseling and told him it was normal to feel this way etc. etc....we had thought about counseling for him and he is receptive. I myself have decided to see someone because I have been so stressed and feeling overwhelmed. His A1C was down to 7.3. So she was happy about that. We seem to be managing for now. We have down a bit of lowering on the Levimir...He's been at 7 for a while, but he had sporadic numbers coming in at waking at 67/68. We had lowered to 6 1/2 and he woke up at 70 on day of endo visit...so we are trying 6 and see how that goes. I am stressing less about the visits...just feeling a little more confident about how life is going with d....a little lol

Shirley
    Downey, CA
    DS Daniel 11, DX 7/11/11 age 10
    MDI Novolog and Levimir
    DD Amanda 7 Non-D
    DH Vince

It is so good to read this. You and Daniel have come a long way together and it is wonderful hearing your confidence in this post. You are a strong mama!
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

Were you able to talk with the endo about a pump? My daughter didn't want one pushed on her, so we did MDI for a year, but now she doesn't want to go back. Daniel really seems like a kid who would do much better with a pump and the freedom it gives from so many shots.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by danielsmom View Post
    I never much have liked this endo from day one.. Too much of the "sargeant" attitude... and basically this was to be the last visit with her and if Daniel was unhappy with it we were going to change.. Well she was quite friendly and caring this time around..Very patient with Daniel's question. We talked about his behavior we've been having some problems with, getting angry and him stating he won't eat or take his shots or let me check him.. Its been happening on and off now for a few months. Endo called it something, but suggested counseling and told him it was normal to feel this way etc. etc....we had thought about counseling for him and he is receptive. I myself have decided to see someone because I have been so stressed and feeling overwhelmed. His A1C was down to 7.3. So she was happy about that. We seem to be managing for now. We have down a bit of lowering on the Levimir...He's been at 7 for a while, but he had sporadic numbers coming in at waking at 67/68. We had lowered to 6 1/2 and he woke up at 70 on day of endo visit...so we are trying 6 and see how that goes. I am stressing less about the visits...just feeling a little more confident about how life is going with d....a little lol
    I am so proud of you! Both of you Seeing someone to talk over things is a great idea. I hope you can find someone who is a good fit for both you and Daniel. It made such a difference in my life when I went a few years ago. I went for almost a year and felt that I got so much accomplished with the therapist.

What Daniel is going through is very normal IMO. A diabetes diagnosis is hard for any kid but a young child on the cusp of puberty, it must be doubly hard. Their bodies are changing, their emotions are raw and different and often painful. A good therapist who is trained with working with adolescents with chronic disease would probably help him so much in dealing with the diabetes

You guys are doing great. Im not just saying that Shirley Youve come a long way honey
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

Quote Originally Posted by MomofSweetOne View Post
    Were you able to talk with the endo about a pump? My daughter didn't want one pushed on her, so we did MDI for a year, but now she doesn't want to go back. Daniel really seems like a kid who would do much better with a pump and the freedom it gives from so many shots.
    Yes the pump was brought up...but endo thinks we are doing so well with MDI, but she didn't discourage and she explained a little about it to Daniel and he wants it anyway.. So next visit we will get more information and start the research, answer/questioning stuff.

And thanks for the kudos...I still hate this disease everyday of my life....but I'm learning not to fear it...My boy is thriving and that is all that matters!

Shirley
    Downey, CA
    DS Daniel 11, DX 7/11/11 age 10
    MDI Novolog and Levimir
    DD Amanda 7 Non-D
    DH Vince

Quote Originally Posted by danielsmom View Post
    Yes the pump was brought up...but endo thinks we are doing so well with MDI, but she didn't discourage and she explained a little about it to Daniel and he wants it anyway.. So next visit we will get more information and start the research, answer/questioning stuff.
    First, glad it went well. You're starting to come into your own and are dealing well with things, and learning more and more how to roll with the challenges d presents daily.

Second, glad the endo is finally opening up more and seems to be on board with you going onto the pump. Seems like the ball is in your court now to decide if it's right for you guys or not.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

You don't necessarily have to wait for your next endo visit to start looking and trialing pumps. Both (probably all three) companies like to meet with families. We started looking for a pump, trialed both Animas and Medtronic, and were pumping between our 3 month endo visits. For us, the integrated CGM was what sold us on Medtronic. I find it to be such a huge stress-reliever (most of the time) and gives so much helpful information. Now, not having it going for a few hours feels comparable to driving blindfolded. I would highly recommend it! Puberty gets crazy with insulin need increases, and it will let you see and adjust much faster than otherwise.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."