advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain During Pump Bolus?

Default Pain During Pump Bolus?

At dinnertime when Riley did his meal bolus he said it really hurt when the insulin went in? Does this happen to others - is this normal? His site was just changed last night and his BS indicated that the insulin made it into his system, but what would have caused it to hurt?

Puzzled ...
    Sheila mom to:
    Dylan, age 19 - dx ADHD & Asbergers
    Quinn, age 13 - ADHD & Asthma
    Riley, age 11 dx T1 7/12/11 - Animas Ping since 7/2012 - dx ADHD @ age 7

If the site is fresh, Sophie complains about it hurting. If the does is large, over 7 units, she complains about it hurting. Did you check his site and make sure it was okay? Not red or anything?
    Lisa, Mom to:
    Cooper, 14, 11-7-1997
    Alexander, 12, 12-15-1999
    Sophia, 9, 10-8-2002. Diagnosed T1 on December 5th, 2010.
    Humalog and Levimer-12-5-10 through 11-14-11
    Pumping with One-touch Animas PING11-14-11 through present day

This happens to me sometimes when I put a site in a new place. Also, after new sites (the first bolus, usually) and when I give a massive dose of insulin for some reason or another (probably pizza; I love pizza).

Occasionally, this happens and it is a kinked cannula. I'm not really sure how to tell the difference; sorry.

Caitlyn, dxd 13 years ago
    On MiniMed insulin pump w/ Humalog
    As of 6/5/13: bipolar II rapid cycling, generalized anxiety, gluten intolerant, and allergic to insulin.
    Taking: Lisinopril 20mg, Metformin 500 mg
    Blogging: iwillfightwithfire.wordpress.com

DS tells me that sometimes it stings. Usually always when a bolus is over 6 units, but sometimes as little as 3. Whenever he needs a bolus over 6 I split it into 2 doses.
    Mom to only child
    H ~ born 8/2001
    Diagnosed 12/2009 in DKA
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 07/2010

Thats interesting, because my son says he feels the insulin going in, and sometimes feels "it" in his legs. His doses are pretty small now so I wonder if it will hurt for larger doses, and whether some kids/people are more sensitive to that. He used to always say lantus stung and when I once pierced my finger while using a lantus syringe I could understand, my entire finger felt numb for a half an hour!
    Rosemarie

Mom to:
    William, age 11, diagnosed 11/10/11, MM CGMS (2/20/12), MM revel blue (4/4/12), Dex G4 (11/22/12)
    James, age 8, nonD
    Grace, 7, nonD

I'm not sure which pump he is on, but I believe the Ping dispenses the insulin faster than the Revel, which can cause burning. There is a way to slow it down, but since DS uses the Revel, I can't tell you how to do it!

Good luck!
    Caroline

K, 2008-05-02, dx 2010-12-02 - blue MM Revel with Dexcom G4
    E, 2010-03-29
    W, 2013-10-24

If it's a new set or a new bottle my daughter has complained. You can also try slowing down delivery. Go to the home screen and click on set up. It is under that menu.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

We have our Ping set to slow delivery but larger boluses still sting. For anything over 4 or 5 units, we set up a 0/100% combo for 0.1 hr (the shortest setting).
    Mom to 15 yr old dd, dx 7/2009
    Animas Ping 2/2010
    Dexcom 7 Plus 9/2010
    Dexcom G4 11/2012
    Metformin

Take pride in how far you've come.
    Have faith in how far you can go.

This is rare, but is does happen...almost always right after I change his site.
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by cdninct View Post
    I'm not sure which pump he is on, but I believe the Ping dispenses the insulin faster than the Revel, which can cause burning. There is a way to slow it down, but since DS uses the Revel, I can't tell you how to do it!
    It's in one of the Ping's setup menus -- maybe 'advanced.' There's a delivery speed choice of NORMAL or SLOW. We chose slow and our son seems to notice the boluses only very occasionally, usually when it's a larger bolus.
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 17 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09