advertisement

Thread: very skinny friend

Default very skinny friend

My best friend e was dx a few weeks ago... she's very VERY thin and is having trouble giving shots=( they hurt because she doesn't seem to have enough fat to inject... other than the obvious gaining weight does any one have any suggestions? or maybe have experience and found a spot where it didn't hurt as much? Once I was on insulin I no longer had the problem of to little fat so any ideas ??? (btw this girl eats and eats and eats, its amazing that she's not insanely fat) but she's a stick
    - Jess, age 18- dx with t1d 2/3/10
    PINGING!!!!!11/8/10
    DEXCOMING! with the G4
    Carteract free since 10/28/10

Check out my blog - http://savedbythesnow.blogspot.com

college student (Class of 2017) and a nursing major

Jess, what size needles is she using? Does she have the pen or syringes? They have a new size of pen needle out called the Nano which is very tiny. Here is a link with a pic of them http://www.bd.com/ca/diabetes/englis...14502&id=32463.

Does she tighten up before giving the injection? Have her try to take a breath in and then slowly let it out as she does the injection. It might help her to relax a bit. Has she tried all places for injections? Belly, thigh, back of arm and bum? Can someone help her for awhile until she gets more comfortable doing the shots? Maybe her Mom or Dad or sibling could lend a hand
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

The nano needles that Becky gave the link for are tiny! We sampled them before switching from 8mm needles, and it took some convincing for Audrey to change over to them. She said that because she hardly felt it at all, she was afraid she would think she had gotten the needle in and gotten insulin when she really hadn't. After using them a few times without problems, she wouldn't switch back now!

Where is your friend getting her shots? Audrey often gets them in her arm. She props her leg up, and rests her arm on her knee and gets the shot there. By propping her arm up, it kind of bunches her skin up so there's more padding to inject into. (Sorry - I'm not good at describing this!)
    Tori
    Mom to
    ~Audrey, 13yo, diagnosed with type 1 on 12/11/10, MDI Humalog and Levemir
    ~Andrew, 18yo, college freshman
    Married to Paul, type 1 since 14yo; Animas Ping with Novolog

You don't have to stick the needle in all of the way, if you're using the 8mm needles and you're skinny, it's fine to push the plunger down on the syringe when you can still see half of the needle out of the skin. Pinching helps it not hurt even if you can't pinch fat and you're just pinching muscle.
    I have breasts even though I'm skinny and I inject there- not sure if this would be comfortable for a girl.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

My daughter found/finds stomach sites more painful than others. Her favorite on MDI was her thighs; on pump, it's her bum.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."