advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions on injections.

We did a sticker chart/ reward system with my son. Every time he held still for his shot he put a sticker on his chart. When he had a day that he got 4 stickers, he picked a small prize from the prize bowl. These were cheap little prizes like temp tattoos, bubbles, whistles etc that we picked up from the party favor section at Hobby Lobby. Finally came the week he had 4 stickers for the whole week. We let him pick where to eat dinner. I sat and choked down McD's that evening.

I will also mention we still had nights that my DH held and I would give the shot. I guess my son finally learned he could get it done and get a prize or he could get held down and have a shot anyway.
    Andi

Mom to :
    William, 5 YO, DXD at 13 months
    Samantha 8 YO - nonD
    Pumping with Blue Animas Ping since 9/30/2010
    Also using Dexcom G4

Selah was 18 months, my best advice is go really fast but no surprises. Prepare the shot where the kid can't see, then come up fast while she's doing something else, say, "Here's your shot, honey", give the shot fast, and then move on to the next thing.

One trick we discovered was that there is a fatty area on the back of the arm, if you're able/allowed to give shots there, it makes it easier, because you can grab the arm with one hand and pinch a little skin while you're doing so, then give the shot with the other hand. The hardest thing was trying to hold our daughter still while pinching with one hand and giving the shot, and then if you are giving it in the thigh or toosh that gives the kid a lot of thrashing ability. But you can usually hold one arm still even if the rest of the kid is flailing, and you don't need three hands like you do in other areas. Then once you have a record of being able to give the shots fast you will have an easier time doing it other ways, too.

Best of luck, it's no fun. Remember that the same way we adults come and go on our tolerance of all the drudgery of diabetes, your baby will too. She'll have times she fights, trying to see if maybe there's some chance that if she just fights hard enough she doesn't have to get the shot, other times she'll figure out it's going to happen anyway and let herself let it go. The best thing you can do is get her closer to that realization with consistency and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa P. View Post
    my best advice is go really fast but no surprises. Prepare the shot where the kid can't see, then come up fast while she's doing something else, say, "Here's your shot, honey", give the shot fast, and then move on to the next thing.
    I totally agree. That is what worked for us when my son was diagnosed at 2.5. There was no lead-up to the shot, so no time for dramatics, but we never snuck up behind him, either. As others have said, this is totally normal, and it is totally normal for his attitude to fluctuate back and forth too as he comes to terms with the permanence of it all (not to mention the fact that some shots just hurt more than others).

Just keep at it and be firm, matter of fact, and understanding. She'll get it.
    Caroline

K, 2008, dx 2010-12-02 - blue MM Revel with blue Dexcom G4
    E, 2010
    W, 2013

My son was 4 at dx, and we did a sticker chart too. We called it the "Good Shot" chart. A "good shot" was when he came to us when called without a fuss and stood still. We did not require him not to complain, cry, or hate it! We just focused on safety issues. After so many stickers, he got a treat...special time with mommy or daddy, trip to the dollar store..etc.

Happily, we did not use the chart for very long! We phased it out easily.

Good luck with whatever you choose. This will pass!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

My little guy was dx'ed just before 3. I remind him "this is what you have to do to stay healthy/take care of yourself. Everyone's body is different, this is what yours needs". Stickers are a big hit for us. The sticker itself, and when the chart is full, he goes to Target to pick a toy. We also sang a song early on to distract. I tried to find silly songs to keep him wanting to hear what was next. Also giving him choices, "time for pokie (his word for injection). Do you want arm, leg or bum?" If he is not choosing, I say "i am going to count to 5 then choose where to do your pokie if you haven't picked" and he always chooses then. Finally, we offer a high five and "good job holding still" after all pokies whether he is happy or crying. Sometimes he cries after and yells "I don't like you mama". I just reassure him that I understand why he is mad, am sorry his pokie hurt this time. It is tough for sure but has gotten better for us!!
    Laura
    Mom to:
    Burke, age 4, T1D since 8/11/11, Omnipod since 3/13
    Logan, age 6, non-D

Default My son was 2 1/2 too

My son was 2 1/2 at diagnosis too. We were doing a minimum of 6 shots per day then.

I tried to use distraction whenever possible - TV, NIntendo DS, etc.
    The longer you do it the quicker you will get. I never made a big production about it, but just slipped in and did it quickly before he could fight it.

I gave many shots in the back of the arms, so I could get to them easily and quickly before he could argue.

I think speed will help once you get better at it - but no big lead up or conversation about it. 2 year old don't get it
    Kelly

Mom to Parker (7) d/x 11/09 at age 2; Pumping with T-Slim 08/2014; DexG4 (2/2013)

Mom to Marley (12) non-d

[COLOR="Blue"]Wife to Dan (44) d/x 1978 pumping with Medtronic

Connor was three months from 3 when dx'd. In the hospital we trained with syringes, but after about a week we switched to the Novolog pen, which is the Jr. because it allowed for 1/2 unit delivery. The bigger positive to that was that the needles, Nanos, are super small. My mom can't see it without her bifocals

While still in hospital, I had a tendency to get worked up about the shots myself. One of our nurses told me that I was making him nervous and was making to big of a deal over the shots. She said it is best to just prepare the shot without him aware and just walk up and right before injection let him know, then quickly deliver shot. IT HELPED SO MUCH. My staying calm and treating it like it was just part of our day (because let's face it, it is a normal part of our day now) really helped him handle the shots.

The other trick I think was influential in helping my son adjust was giving him some control. He HATED shots in the leg, and the tummy was difficult because it could see it going in. I was so concerned with alternating sights as we were told to do, but I hated how much he fought. I knew we couldn't keep it up for long. We started giving him a choice, and he ALWAYS chose the "Elbow" and he would offer up his arm without a fight.

I think these two tricks offer two important options--1.) we get to shield our kiddos from unnecessary stress; and 2.) they get a choice (I think the choice thing is vital since I feel that diabetes can take many choices from our children.)

I hope this helps....keep at it; it does become easier.
    Angalina
    Mom to Connor (3), dx 9/9/11
    and Cailey (9)