advertisement

Thread: Carrying supplies

Default Carrying supplies

Next fall my oldest son will start middle school and he does not want to carry his supplies in the bag he has carried all through elementary school. I am curious to see what other middle school or even high school kids are using. He would like something that fits in his backpack, but can still hold all his supplies. Any ideas would be great. He is on the pump, so the case would simply carry his meter, test strips, glucagon and some glucose tablets.
    Mom of 4
    Wyatt dx Nov 05
    Lucas dx Nov 09
    Cole
    Kaitlyn

Unless he is some place where the adult knows how to use the Glucagon, I would drop that item.

While in middle school, my son had a fanny pack or waist pack. He also kept his pencils in the pack with the diabetes supplies.

In high school, he takes everything out of the meter kit and carries them in his pockets, along with a vial of glucose tabs.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

I would have him carry it in either his pocket or in a pencil case. As for the Glucagon I would be sure that his teacher know how to use it. It is just like a epipen for a child allergic to PB or Bees. It is there to keep our children alive in case of an emergency. I wouldn't let my child go anywhere without it.

Pencil case in her binder.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh's Mom View Post
    I would have him carry it in either his pocket or in a pencil case. As for the Glucagon I would be sure that his teacher know how to use it. It is just like a epipen for a child allergic to PB or Bees. It is there to keep our children alive in case of an emergency. I wouldn't let my child go anywhere without it.
    I totally agree. We were just told that if our daughter ever hits the staggering/slurring stage again (it's happened once and was very frightening) to use the mini-glucagon dose rather than let her go unconscious before using it.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by MomofSweetOne View Post
    I totally agree. We were just told that if our daughter ever hits the staggering/slurring stage again (it's happened once and was very frightening) to use the mini-glucagon dose rather than let her go unconscious before using it.
    You can also get the child to drink a juice when very low. It is as effective and much less hassle.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

My son (middle school) carries his meter pouch in his backpack. He has candy, and everything he needs to test, in his pouch. His glucagon is in the office.
    Mom to ~
    DS 15
    --dx'd Type 1 Nov '07
    --pumping with Minimed w/ Novolog since January '11
    --integrated cgm and MySentry

Thanks for the info guys. I do not send him anywhere with anyone who does not know how to use the glucagon. He has had several hypoglycemic seizures so going without is not an option. I do appreciate the input though.
    Mom of 4
    Wyatt dx Nov 05
    Lucas dx Nov 09
    Cole
    Kaitlyn