advertisement
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it worth buying a scale which shows nutritional information?

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    we weigh but with a regular scale and I just know the typical carb factors that we normally use. all other foods I can either look up on a phone app or in calorie king.

The nice part is that we've never been tied to one scale.
    Regular digital scale with grams and ounces. We found the more complicated we made it the less it was used.

DD T1 diagnosed 6/23/2011 (11)
    MDI: Novolog & Lantus

Up until recently we had just a plain old kitchen scale. It worked fine, we would do the math, wasn't that big of a deal. I actually still have it tucked away. We do have the Salter now and I have to say it is very nice, though it does take up a bit of counter space.

I'm of the meh category. I could take it or leave it. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't have my Salter, because I have my old scale and can easily navigate the old school waters again easily.

I'd take the money and go buy a pair of shoes or a purse
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Quote Originally Posted by ashtensmom View Post
    We have this scale too and love it. It is the size of an iPad but thicker, so I actually use an iPad sleeve to travel with it. I often use this scale as a plain old scale as well as using carb factors. In my opinion it's the best of both worlds (use it as regular scale or nutrition scale).
    I like this one!
    One other thing on the salter is that I find the screen a bit hard to read...
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

I need that scale. I'm not a math person, have serious serious trouble with numbers. And that includes remembering them. It's been six years for us now and I still have to look up pretty common foods.

I love just weighing it and putting in the type of food and the carbs popping up. I've tried doing carb factors many times even reading tutorials online and just can't get it. This way is much easier for me.
    Laurie

Mom to Lia Grace, 13 yrs, dx 1/13/06 at age 5.
    Started with NPH and Regular, switched to Lantus and Novolog after three months and then started pumping after 1.5 years.
    CURRENTLY Pumping with the Animas Ping and using the Dexcom G4.

Quote Originally Posted by emm142 View Post
    Just wondering what people here think. We have a salter scale at home which I don't really love (the buttons are hard to press, it's hard to turn on, basically it's several years old and it's on its last legs) and I'm looking to buy one to have at university.

It's inexpensive to buy a standard kitchen scale, but about four times as much to buy one which shows nutritional information. I can't decide whether it's worth it for the ease of use, or whether just bringing a calculator and using carb factors would be fine. For those of you who weigh food regularly, what do you think?
    I guess it depends on how familiar you are with carb factors of the foods you eat. We still measure some foods instead of weighing, some we have the CF memorized (the easy ones, like bread), but my brain is like swiss cheese so I'd need a list. The fact that any piece of paper in my house ends up torn, spilled on, or lost/thrown away, for me I'd much prefer the scale with with the nutrition information built right in. That way it's all in one place all the time. The scale we have has the nutrition information, but it requires you to look up codes in the book (if you don't know the CF), which is a bit of a hassle. Next time I buy a scale, I'm probably going to spring for the salter (if I can afford it then).

But......if you are organized, and can keep all those numbers in your head (or won't lose the list), and you always have a calculator nearby (I use the calculator on my cell phone--love it!) then the inexpensive scale will probably do, for you. If I were the diabetic, and had only myself to worry about (and nobody would touch my things), I'd probably get the inexpensive scale. I'm organized...my kids aren't.

Hope this helps.
    DS age 12 dx'ed 9/09 Pumping with MM as of 5/11

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyHounds View Post
    I have the EatSmart Nutrition Scale and absolutely LOVE IT!
    Us, too! It's fantastic and was nowhere near as expensive as a Salter. It also got better reviews.
    Lauren - Mommy to Kyle (5 years old) dx at 2y4m old.
    MM Reveling with Sure-T sets Novolog
    CGM/mySentry 3/2012
    Kellen, (non-d so far) March 22, 2010