advertisement

Thread: Oops - accidentally checked wrong child!

Default Oops - accidentally checked wrong child!

I just came upstairs to my bedroom and discovered one of my daughters had snuck into our bed and was sleeping peacefully under all the covers on my husband's side of the bed (he's still downstairs watching the news). I decided just to leave her there for now-it would make her bg check all the easier not having to go down the hall into her own room. I got the meter out, grabbed her little pinky, and pricked her. Not until after reading the result - 108 - did I take a closer look at my child. It wasn't Ella! But rather her 3 1/2 yr old sister! I should have known that Ella never has a number that low at bedtime. Not sure if it is the fact that I am so tired, or that my contacts are out, or that the girls just look that much alike.... I feel like the biggest goof - I know Ella will get a laugh out of it in the morning. At least poor little Lily didn't even flinch, much less wake up!
    PS - 108 is normal, right?
    Amy -
    wife to Chris
    mom to:

David, 12
    Emily, 10
    Ella, 8 dx 11/30/10
    pumping w/ Animas - One Touch Ping since 6/1/11
    Joshua, 6
    Lily, 3
    Zoe, 1

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

LOL, I can't help but chuckle! I think we've all been prone to this at one point or another. And yes, 108 is perfectly normal!
    ~Christina
    My son is 15, dx'd 10/03/06
    t:slim and Dexcom G4
    formerly Omnipod

Good thing you didn't wake her up and try to feed her juice.

Just did this two nights ago. Thought the wife said ds moved to the floor in a sleeping bag. Went to check him late at night. Wondered why he pulled his hand away so fast after the prick. Whoopsy! It was the older son and he's a bit stronger than his brother.
    Husband to:
    Wife of 17 years!
    Marcus 9 yo NonD
    Colby 8 yo dx Oct 2010 type 1 Lantus and Novalog
    Penelope 5 yo NonD

I've never checked the wrong child but have tried to give insulin with the PDM to the wrong child. Several times I have tried to bolus my younger (Non D) son. I hold the PDM up to where the POD would be on my daughter and then figure out it is the wrong child when nothing is happening. Both times he just says "wrong kid".
    Aimee in New Jersey
    mom to Sean (14)- non D
    Hana (13) T1 dx 3/3/10
    Case (10) non D
    wife to Scott
    Pumping with OmniPod
    Dex G4

I just did this last night LOL. The girls switched bunks on me...They don't look the LEAST bit alike (5 years apart and different races), but in my defense, it was dark, I was exhausted and I just knew I needed to prick a finger on the top bunk and go back to bed.
    LIBBY homeschooling mama to:
    Ella age 11 Dx T1 at 30 months (2/9/04). Hypothyroidism 4 years. Asthma 6 years. Evan's Syndrome 7 years. Celiac 10 years
    Pumping with purple minimed since 9/07
    Caleb age 8
    Nick, age 6 ADHD, SPD, PTSD and mood disorder NOS (probable bipolar disorder)
    Lydia, age 5 SPD
    Adam, age 3 Allergic to everything
    Linnea-Claire, age 22 months

Lol! I did that to a child that wasn't even mine! My son had a friend sleep over and I checked the friend instead it was a beautiful 124 the best part is the friend never knew but my son was awake and told me as I left the room....mom wrong kid oops
    Pauline
    Proud Mom to
    Jess 23 (non D)
    Aaron 18(dx'd 3/10/08) Pumping MM 722 8/7/08
    Married to my HS Sweetheart 25 years