advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Pumping Today...any general advice for the first few days?

Default Start Pumping Today...any general advice for the first few days?

My 7 yr. old daughter is going to start pumping this afternoon. Just wanted to gather any advice/tips for getting through the first couple of days. We are very excited but also nervous about our new adventure!

Thanks,
    Shelley

Be prepared for bumps in the road while you work to get everything set just right.
    Lisa, Mom to:
    Cooper, 14, 11-7-1997
    Alexander, 12, 12-15-1999
    Sophia, 9, 10-8-2002. Diagnosed T1 on December 5th, 2010.
    Humalog and Levimer-12-5-10 through 11-14-11
    Pumping with One-touch Animas PING11-14-11 through present day

We found that Lantus lasted much longer in my son's system than the stated 24 hours. About 2.5 days after he started pumping, the Lantus finally worked itself all the way out and then we had highs, highs, highs until we got the basal adjusted correctly. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it's common enough that I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck! Hope you both love it!
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Betty View Post
    Be prepared for bumps in the road while you work to get everything set just right.
    Yes...don't expect smooth sailing from the beginning...but don't give up! It took us many weeks to find the right rates for my son...and the highs that came during that time were disheartening. You may at some point feel like you should have stayed with MDI...but don't give in to that! Time and patience is all that is needed to get where you want to be. Just be prepared for an adjustment period...it is normal.

Good luck!! Hope you guys (eventually) love the pump as much as we do!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

We had a rough few weeks, so be hopeful for smooth sailing but be prepared for lots of extra testing and weird numbers. It will sort itself out!

Our trainer suggested that we take DS out for a treat on day one that he had not been allowed to have, or have at that particular time of day, since dx (we were on NPH, so an afternoon treat of a McDonald's ice cream cone had been a no-go for 5 months). Yes, it messed up his numbers a bit, but it was so worth it, and his happiness that afternoon carried us through the first few crummy weeks!

Good luck!
    Caroline

K, 2008, dx 2010-12-02 - blue MM Revel with blue Dexcom G4
    E, 2010
    W, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cdninct View Post
    We had a rough few weeks, so be hopeful for smooth sailing but be prepared for lots of extra testing and weird numbers. It will sort itself out!

Our trainer suggested that we take DS out for a treat on day one that he had not been allowed to have, or have at that particular time of day, since dx (we were on NPH, so an afternoon treat of a McDonald's ice cream cone had been a no-go for 5 months). Yes, it messed up his numbers a bit, but it was so worth it, and his happiness that afternoon carried us through the first few crummy weeks!

Good luck!
    Love this suggestion! What a great idea!
    Caleb - 3 yrs old
    T1D dx 2.12.12 at 2 yrs old

04.2012 - Using Dexcom 7 - LOVE IT!
    7.16.12 - Pumping with OmniPod on diluted Humalog

Quote Originally Posted by cdninct View Post

Good luck!
    We actually had some sort of treat RIGHT THERE to give to my son as soon as we got the pump hooked up. We had been telling him all along that he wouldn't need shots once he got the pump, but he didn't "get it" until the first time he ate without a shot. The smile on his face was priceless.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    We actually had some sort of treat RIGHT THERE to give to my son as soon as we got the pump hooked up. We had been telling him all along that he wouldn't need shots once he got the pump, but he didn't "get it" until the first time he ate without a shot. The smile on his face was priceless.
    Yes...my son asked for something to eat the minute we got home from the pump trainer when he started on insulin! It was a WONDERFUL feeling for both of us I think.
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

My daughter started eating as soon as she climbed in the car after her appointment. Definitely a celebration mark to eat without the syringe!

Don't wait to call for adjustments if your child isn't feeling well. They don't need to run in the upper 200-300s or equally low just because we were told to call in after three days. The beauty of the pump is that they can have an entirely different basal acting within four hours and be feeling better.

Also, eliminate as much off your calendar as possible. Your sleep deprivation will be great and the chance to nap is priceless. Look at it as if you have a new baby in the house....sleep at every opportunity and give yourself permission to say no to lots!
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    We found that Lantus lasted much longer in my son's system than the stated 24 hours. About 2.5 days after he started pumping, the Lantus finally worked itself all the way out and then we had highs, highs, highs until we got the basal adjusted correctly. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it's common enough that I thought I'd mention it.
    Me too.

Well actually, what happened to me is that they told me to take Lantus the night before I went on the pump, and then that day I had both basal and full Lantus active. I went very low, so they lowered my basal considerably. Then for the next couple of days things worked out on my super low basal. Then I went to D camp (only a few days into pumping!), where I had CRAZY activity levels and things worked with the lower basal.

It was only when I got home from D-camp, had no Lantus left in my system and no activity to counterbalance the defecit that my BGs went insane. Especially because almost all of my Quick-Sets were kinking.

Just to let you know that the first few days and weeks are sometimes really rough. I'm not trying to scare you, rather to let you know that IF that happens to you, you should try to stick at it. I almost stopped pumping about 4 weeks in because it was insane. I'm SO glad I stuck at it, adjusted my doses and tried some more infusion sets.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142