advertisement

Thread: Hi all

1. Post Hi all

hi
    My name is Pedro i'm from Portugal and i'm father of a 3 year old child (Manuel) who where diagnosed type 1 diabetes one month and a half.
    As you all know very well our family life is upside down... But we are trying to rise to the expectations. We have a characteristic that is a blessing but at the same time a course... I'm a Registered Nurse, doing medical school and my wife is a midwife.
    Now we are trying to forget our professional background and be the best parents we know, while we recover from the slow in our stomach.
    Finally we hope to learn a lot with your experience.

Default Hi

Hi Pedro,
    Hope all is going well. We have a three year old son too who was diagnosed in Dec. 2011. He is doing really well with it all. Better then me.
    You and your wife will be fine. My husband and I are getting better with dealing with it every day. This site has given me lots of information.
    Mom to
    Zachary 8
    Nicholas 5 - Diagnosed type 1 on 12/7/2011
    Pumping Minimed 6/18/2012
    CGMing 8/2/12 All the time now
    Wife to Mark

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.
    -Desmond Tutu

Hi Pedro, welcome to our community. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

How's Manuel doing?
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pcanudosena View Post
    hi
    My name is Pedro i'm from Portugal and i'm father of a 3 year old child (Manuel) who where diagnosed type 1 diabetes one month and a half.
    As you all know very well our family life is upside down... But we are trying to rise to the expectations. We have a characteristic that is a blessing but at the same time a course... I'm a Registered Nurse, doing medical school and my wife is a midwife.
    Now we are trying to forget our professional background and be the best parents we know, while we recover from the slow in our stomach.
    Finally we hope to learn a lot with your experience.
    Hello Pedro and welcome to you and your family. My son was also 3 when he was diagnosed. He is 11 now and is doing very well. He does anything he wants to and your Manuel will too. It is hard to begin with because there are so many things to learn about this. But take your time and work together with your wife and you will do just fine. Come back here and ask any questions you may have and we will do our best to answer them
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

Welcome Pedro! No question is too silly to ask here...we've all been in the same place you are now. Hope things get easier and easier for your family very soon as you learn more and get used to a different set of challenges!
    mom to Molly, 21, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Dave, 24, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

6. Default

Thank you all for your support... it has been hard to deal with everything, but we are walking... he's is doing better than us... already learn to see the blood glucose by himself... the endocrinologist and the nurse that follow him has been awesome ...

and now we are starting to learn some things like count carbohydrates and known the I:C ratio...

now the doubt is the insulin pump, in portugal the waiting list is about one year... so we make the effort to buy one or we wait?! one of the next decisions...