advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone with little kids (5-7) prebolus at school?

Default Does anyone with little kids (5-7) prebolus at school?

My son (5) has b/s checked before lunch at school by nurse - and then comes back after lunch for bolus. I have noticed that he sometimes can be in range and then go way high before insulin is administered after lunch (he is on a pump).

I always pre-bolous at least some for breakfast.

Does anyone have their school nurse prebolus for lunch? It is tricky - since you hope at 5 years old he will eat everything. Maybe pre-bolous for partial amount of carbs?

Looking for suggestions.
    Kelly

Mom to Parker (6) d/x 11/09 MM Revel pump with mios; DexG4 (2/2013)

Mom to Marley (10) non-d

Wife to Dan (43) d/x 1978 MM Revel with quick sets

If you count bolusing 5 minutes before eating then, "yes" we did. But I packed her lunch and I knew pretty much what she would eat, and she was always hungry by lunch ( not a big breakfast eater).
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

We prebolus by about 15 minutes for lunch, and an aid makes sure he eats everything on the list (I make a notecard every day with the item & carbs listed.) After lunch, he can't throw anything away until the aid has came by to make sure his list is complete.

If he missed something, the nurse keeps a few small quick-carb snacks in her office, but 99% of the time, he eats it all.
    Amanda

Alex (12) ADHD/Anxiety & Celiac
    Brody (8) T1 & Celiac
    Omnipod/Novolog
    Dex G4

We also pre bolus for lunch. I also pack his lunch w/ a detailed note card and he keeps all trash and empty containers and goes back to show the nurse that everything is finished. Lunch aides know to not throw anything away that he has. No problems with this as of yet.
    Veronica 34 Military wife to Matt married for 16 years
    4 children Alexis 14yrs (GAD POS beginning July 2010) officially diagnosed 11/25/13 pumping omnipod and CGM Dexcom G4, Blake 11 yrs, Tyler 9 yrs and Matthew 8 yrs dx'd @ 9mon old pumping Omnipod and CGM Dexcom 4G (sometimes we revert back to MM) We love both!!

We always prebolus, snack and lunch, at school. She washes, checks, boluses 15 for snack, eats, and then gets the rest. At lunch, she washes, checks, prebolus 27, goes and gets her food, comes back to her desk and eats. Probably a 10min prebolus for both knowing the way she moves.
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

My son started life with diabetes on NPH and Regular. He had to eat everything that was given to him and did this at school in PK4, Kindergarten and 1st grade. Being on NPH is like getting a prebolus that kicks in at about a certain time.

When he went on Humalog and Lantus, he got his shot before lunch, but at age 7, he could eat all the food he was given.
    Last edited by Amy C.; 03-20-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

My son is 6. He gets checked 20 min. before lunch and if his number is above 95 he gets prebolused for 20 carbs. His caregiver calculates his total carbs eaten and boluses any additional after eating. This has worked great all year.
    Amanda

We prebolus 25-30 carbs, and then he swings by on his way out to recess, and he's dosed for the rest. We've done it this way since kindergarten.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

My son gets bolused for 30 carbs when the nurse checks his blood sugar and then the nurse will give him the rest when he finishes. It helps keep the spike minimal.
    ~Marci~
    Mom to Charlie, diagnosed 1-27-2007 at 19 months
    and Alyssa

Default Thank you -

Thank you for all of the advice. I think I will get the nurse to prebolus for a certain amount of carbs and then have him come back with remaining food to bolus for the rest.

I love this website!
    Kelly

Mom to Parker (6) d/x 11/09 MM Revel pump with mios; DexG4 (2/2013)

Mom to Marley (10) non-d

Wife to Dan (43) d/x 1978 MM Revel with quick sets