advertisement

Thread: switching off the pump

Default switching off the pump

If I switch off the pump (medtronic) for lets say 20 minutes and the switch it on again, would the pump add the outstanding insulin which was not deliver within those 20 minutes?
    also if I switch it off for more than an hour, would it add the basal, which was not delivered in that hour??

thanks in advance
    Sophie 5, born 12.05.06 DXD Nov 08, CGMS with MM, Last A1C 6,5
    Niki 10.05.91 NonD

No. If you turn off the pump, any bolus given was already given. If you stop it in the middle of a bolus, it will not remember to give the rest, unless you tell it to. I can't remember if the pump reminds you if a bolus is not finished (I think it does), but you have to tell it to.

Same thing for any basal missed during the shut off. You have to either give the basal which will be missed before you switch it off or give it after you restart it.
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

I am not sure how the PING pump turns off! I can take out the battery, but it always runs otherwise.

Wouldn't suspending do what you want?
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy C. View Post
    I am not sure how the PING pump turns off! I can take out the battery, but it always runs otherwise.

Wouldn't suspending do what you want?
    I'm sure she means suspending the pump.

Paula is right. The pump will not deliver any insulin "missed" during the time the pump was suspended.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Suspending is what I think you mean, or that is what is called on the Ping. It doesn't add in any missed insulin. You can bolus for the missed insulin if needed. When I suspend my son, we don't usually need to add the missed insulin back. Although he hasn't been suspended longer than 30 min.