advertisement

Thread: Question about after lunch number at school...

Default Question about after lunch number at school...

My son is in kindergarten. He is on humalog 1/2:15 and lantus at night 1/2 unit. It seems 2-3 days a week, his level 2 hours after lunch is around 220 to 230. The other days, he is around 150-180. He usually eats the same thing (pb and j sandwich, chips and carrots). It is usually 45 carbs so he gets 1 1/2 units.

My question is would you worry about the days that he ends up between 220-230. It does come down to around 150 by the time I pick him up at 4:00. I don't want to adjust anything and risk him going low.
    Mommy to Two Angels...
    Kara (10) Non-D
    John (7) D-Diagnosed 11/11
    Pumping with Medtronic Paradigm Revel 5/12

Romans 12:12,"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
    Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you."

Is his blood sugar at lunch the same on all days? Unless you do a correction for the high, he will be out of range 2 hours after lunch.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Personally, nah. I wouldn't worry about it. It took me a while, but I've learned to deal with less-than-perfect, but still okay numbers at school.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

is there anything different about those days where he's higher or lower (like gym)? I wouldn't worry about it because he's in range by pick up.
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

So much of DD's school day is out of my control and understanding, that, like some of the other posters, I tend to let things be unless I can see a really clear pattern that is susceptible to a change.
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

I would be fine with those numbers 2 hours after lunch.
    ~Marci~
    Mom to Charlie, diagnosed 1-27-2007 at 19 months
    and Alyssa