advertisement

Thread: Is Activa the only Jet Injector Manufacturer Left?

Default Is Activa the only Jet Injector Manufacturer Left?

It recently occured to me that with my copays having gone up, I'm spending a lot on syringes, and I don't like feeling that I'm hurting the environment with all this medical waste, so I thought I'd take a look at jet injectors again.

I have in the past used a jet injector on a diabetic kid that I was babysitting, and I used to have a classmate who used a different brand of jet injector. Both of those were more than three years ago. And I can't find what it looks like they had.

So, has anybody on here used a jet injector in the past year?
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering if jet injection works okay with Lantus. Seems like it would disperse the Lantus and cause it to absorb too quickly too last 24 hours.

The kid I babysat used the jet injector for Lantus without a problem. Lantus forms crystals within the blood that slowly break into usable insulin, is my understanding, so it's not much of a problem if it gets absorbed more quickly. I dunno. It could be that it would be a problem for some people and not others, but it definitely wasn't a problem for the kid I babysat.

I'm actually thinking of only using it for my Regular and not my Lantus because it only works with vials. And I take so little Lantus that if I get Lantus in the only size viable available in the US, 10mL, and don't use it more than a month after I open it, then I throw away more Lantus than I use. So I've been using Lantus from insulin pens. I kinda wonder if I can use a big syringe to empty the contents of an insulin pen into a vial and then use the Lantus that way. Dunno. Am pretty sure it wouldn't be an FDA-approved way to use the Lantus though.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

LantusFiend, tx for your input. I am sort of considering the AdvantaJet . I can especially see the advantage for you of a jet injector to speed up the absorption of Regular with its long duration of action.

I'm guessing a jet-injected dose of Lantus would disperse more under my skin and not last 24 hours, so I'd have to split the dose. Or I could use a syringe for Lantus and jet injector for meals.

Jet injectors are a weird thing to contemplate. Despite superior absorption, they get almost no mention. A jet injector would at least be something different from the same ol' grind of 8 syringes a day without breaking the bank (like a pump).