advertisement

Thread: Sports and Diabetes

1. Thumbs up Sports and Diabetes

Someone posted a questions about kids playing football. My type 1 son was a starter for the Wisconsin Badgers and is now awaiting the NFL draft with promising possibilities. He hopes to write a book about sports and juvenile diabetes. Just for inspiration about what a child with type 1 can do, read: http://writingstraight.com/2012/02/1...hey-come-true/. Jake mentors children with diabetes, if anyone has a child interested in football who needs a role model.

Congratulations to you both. I am eternally grateful for the mentors in our area. You must be so proud of both his football achievements and desire to help others.
    Helen, mom of active 18 year old
    Feb 2014 switched to Animas Vibe with integrated DEX, Inset II
    2008-2014 MM722 and Mio's

Smile

That is sooo AWESOME!!! Though I enjoy football, it isn't really my sport. I am 17years old and thinking about college. I am really into basketball. This gives me hope that even though I'm diabetic it can't keep me from dreaming. How did you get your son's name out there; did he walk-on and catch the coaches eye or was he great in High School??

Quote Originally Posted by HollyMichael View Post
    Someone posted a questions about kids playing football. My type 1 son was a starter for the Wisconsin Badgers and is now awaiting the NFL draft with promising possibilities. He hopes to write a book about sports and juvenile diabetes. Just for inspiration about what a child with type 1 can do, read: http://writingstraight.com/2012/02/1...hey-come-true/. Jake mentors children with diabetes, if anyone has a child interested in football who needs a role model.
    my son, Spencer, has played football for years....He just started high school and is LOVING high school football. We live in the Chicago area, and have many relatives in Wisconsin. If you would PM me, I would be interested in talking further about his mentoring. Thanks for sharing!

Paula
    mom to Kendall, 8/22/00 & dx'd 11/3/07, Omnipod, 9/3/08
    Spencer, dx'd 1/4/11 1/27/98
    Evan, 3/16/96
    Wife of Jim since 1993

5. Default

Holly
    I haven't been on here in awhile and I was so inspired to see your post about your son Jake and that he made it onto the New Orleans Saints! That's wonderful! My son (age 14) is a freshman in high school, he was dx in 2009, he has been on the pump for more than a year now and he LOVES football. He plays tight-end like your son! (and some defense too) Same number too! He hopes to one day play college and professional ball. Can't wait to show him what your son has accomplished!

Reagan checking his sugar on the sidelines of his last
    game...
    Last edited by RK's Mom; 10-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    amy
    mom to 4 sons,
    the youngest Dx~age 11