advertisement

Thread: Background retinopathy

Smile Background retinopathy

Hi, has anyone any information on background retinopathy, my daughter had her first check lastyear, and she had a letter back saying she has, small signs of retinopathy, I'm really worried, her consultant says no need for concern at the min, although thy will keep a watch on them !!
    She has been diabetic over ten years, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with themselves, or their child, would be grateful for Any information.

You might try posting in the "Parents of children with T1" section. I once in awhile will show a few spots in my yearly exams but sometimes the areas clear up and it has always been very very minor. I believe the main thing is to make sure you get in once a year for a full exam so if stuff starts progressing they can take corrective action early on. There is some excellent ways of treating. Also make sure your primary Endo gets the eye report. Good luck. Ali

Our eye dr. encouraged us to start giving her Omega fish oil supplements. He was citing research indicating that it can help prevent of even reverse retinopathy. I do not have the specific studies. Something you could look into further.
    God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!
    Carol

Homeschooling mom to
    A dx. Hashi's 9/08, Celiac 10/08 and
    N dx. T1D 10/05, Celiac 6/08, pumped with Animas from 1/06-7/13, currently MDI (unexpected side effect of Diabetes Camp )

Wink Retinopathy

Hi there, thanks for the advice, willing to try anything, saw consultant wed, n he says, it can clear itself up?? Hope this is the case, thanks again

I was diagnosed when I was 6, in 1945, and did not have a retinopathy diagnosis until about 8 years ago. I might have had some trouble when I was a child, but eyes were not checked for retinopathy back then. had little spots in both eyes. I was seeing my ophthalmologist every 6 months, and the spots were gone on one visit, and reappeared the next visit. It never got very bad, but in early 2007 the doctor said he would do some laser surgery if it did not improve. I started using a pump in June of that year. After a few months of pumping my BGs became much more stable, with fewer highs and lows. My eye doctor said the retinopathy had completely disappeared, and it has not returned.

My A1c's had been below 6.0 even before pumping, but the roller coaster control I was having with many highs and lows caused the complication. It also caused some neuropathy in my feet. It is traumatic to the body to have the consistent going from high to low to high to..... so much of the time. Complications can occur even when the A1c is good, under those circumstances.
    Type 1 for 68 years. Using MM 523 pump. A1c=6.0

Default You are doing great job taking her for eye appts

You are doing a great job taking her for eye appts. You said she has had diabetes for 10 years but I did not see when she was diagnosed.

We had a "concerned appt" but afterwards it was discovered the doctor was not used to juvenile eye appts and had concerns over what he saw because he was use to eyes over 65.

Is this a new-to-her doctor? Can they show you the changes over the year on the computer and not just a transcript??

Keep up the good fight.

Jen
    Jen
    wife to Jeff
    Mom to Chris, 15 dx 4/2/2003 with T1
    dx 7/2003 with Hashiomotos
    Omnipod, 9/2008
    Mike, 13, non-D