advertisement

Thread: How long does Levemir last?

Default How long does Levemir last?

We have been fighting some highs lately so I called the office to ask about what our CDE thought might be the cause.

I asked her if she thought it might be because the Levemir was going bad, we are on day 28 or 29. It says in the leaflet that it is good for 42 days after opening (and till the expiration date unopened in the fridge).

She told me that Levemir has a shelf life in the fridge of 2-3 years whether opened or unopened so long as it is kept in the fridge. That made me a little Is that true? Any ideas why she would say that?
    Debby, Mama to Molly, age 7, dx'ed 12/05/2011, Pumping Omnipod with Humalog
    most recent a1c (1/14): 7.4
    Dexcom start 03/04/14

and Henry, born 9//18/2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Debdebdebby13 View Post
    She told me that Levemir has a shelf life in the fridge of 2-3 years whether opened or unopened so long as it is kept in the fridge.
    That statement would make me very concerned about the qualifications of that CDE. I always try and follow the manufaturers directions, and those directions are to discard after 42 days, once opened.

As for the highs, have you considered splitting the dose? That is what worked for Danielle. She gets one dose in the monning and the other at night.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Humalog and Levemir)

Once opened or brought up to room temp, its 42 days. As far as in the body, we usually had it last 16-18 hours so we had to split the dose. Good luck
    Dad to Olivia, who is 6 and Dix Type 1 Oct 21, 2009. Currently use Medtronic 523 and CGM and lots and lots of meter checks!