advertisement

Thread: Figure Skater

Default Figure Skater

Are there any "famous" figure skaters out there with type1?
    ~Ivy
    Mommy to 3 princesses & 1 prince
    ~K (dd3) diagnosed 4/17/10 at 6 years 4 months.
    Pink MM 722 Nov. 24, '10 w/ novolog
    Pink MM 523 April 22, '11 w/ novolog
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

I'm not sure if there are any famous figure skaters with T1D, but here is a book about figure skaters who each have their own obstacles. One of the girls has Type 1 Diabetes.

http://www.amazon.com/Skating-Forwar.../dp/1935361538
    Cynthia
    Mom to ds dx'd @ age 2 on 8/25/08 Pinging since 12/14/2009

I don't know an ice skater, but Zippora Karz is a T1D Ballet Dancer. http://zipporakarz.com/site/bio/
    Mom to only child
    H ~ born 8/2001
    Diagnosed 12/2009 in DKA
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 07/2010

I don't know of any. But I'll be watching this thread!

Ivy, is K skating? So is my DD! She just "competed" in an event -- (a set of four compulsory moves and a "long" (one minute!) program).
    virgo39
    DD dx at 5 yrs, 3 months (11/09)
    Omnipod w/Novolog (7/10)

My daughter is a competitive figure skater ( not famous - at least not yet... ) but we have yet to hear of anyone else that figure skates with T1D...

Quote Originally Posted by skimom View Post
    My daughter is a competitive figure skater ( not famous - at least not yet... ) but we have yet to hear of anyone else that figure skates with T1D...
    Gosh that is one sport that has to be nerve wracking to watch if your kiddo has been low in the day of a comp. I put that up there with swimming, because of the water aspect.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by virgo39 View Post
    I don't know of any. But I'll be watching this thread!

Ivy, is K skating? So is my DD! She just "competed" in an event -- (a set of four compulsory moves and a "long" (one minute!) program).
    Nope...but she now wants to take lessons. I'm sure it'll be in our agenda once we move back there this summer.

She went on the ice for the first time yesterday and picked it up real fast. I'm amazed.

Good job to your dd!
    ~Ivy
    Dexcom -- sometimes

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

Quote Originally Posted by skimom View Post
    It's just one of those things that I worry about -- the beating the feet have to take. Okay for now... but in the far future?

Let us know when she becomes famous!
    ~Ivy
    Dexcom -- sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by NomadIvy View Post
    It's just one of those things that I worry about -- the beating the feet have to take. Okay for now... but in the far future?
    As a skater, I can tell you it probably won't really be an very big issue. I am not a particularly high level skater any more but I am hard on my skates and skate in very stiff ones, and the worst problem I had with my most recent pair was a weeping rash caused by the latex foam on the tongues. My previous boots had lambswool tongues and it never even occurred to me that I'd be allergic to the foam on the new ones, or I wouldn't have ordered them that way. I had the tongues re-lined once it was clear that the foam had to go, and that was the only major problem I had with them.

Skates that fit properly (and that are the correct level for the skater) shouldn't cause foot problems, especially since most these days are heat moldable (which makes things SO much easier - what used to take weeks now takes about an hour) and there are better products available now, like bunga pads, that make it much easier to protect the feet.
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

Quote Originally Posted by NomadIvy View Post

Let us know when she becomes famous!
    Unless the child is having highs all the time I really don't think that it should be an issue. You just have to tell your child to let you know if anything is hurting to find a way that the shoes do not bind the feet.

Honesty, I thing 90% of "diabetic" feet issues are from T2 cases that are either un-DXd or under poor control. Yes there could be a T1 threwn in there, but you are the one making sure everything is ok.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust