advertisement

Thread: Kawasaki Disease and Type 1 Diabetes

Default Kawasaki Disease and Type 1 Diabetes

Garrett was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease on 12/24 and got two courses of IVIG treatment. So far both echos have been clear. He is still quite insulin resistant. I was interested if anyone else in the forum has dealt with a Kawasaki Disease diagnosis? What was your experience like? Did you have any insulin resistance? How long did it take for insulin needs to go back to normal? Did your child ever return to baseline? Besides low dose aspirin did you use any other medications or supplements following the acute phase? Any insights would be appreciated!

Best,
    Kara
    Kara
    Mom to 2 wonderful boys
    Garrett, age 4, diagnosed 2/19/08 Cozmo/Navigator
    Weston, age 7, big brother

I remembered that Nicole (Mama2H)'s youngest daughter (non-D) was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease a while back. Searched and found the thread: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...light=Kawasaki the original post has been deleted but Nicole wrote about it on page 3. She hasn't posted here for quite a while though.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

I know very little about Kawasaki's disease but I want to make sure that you know that the IVIG treatments can interfere with some glucose meters and cause them to give falsely elevated results. I was literally reading about deaths caused by reliance on such meters not five minutes ago. The solution with IVIG contains maltose, a sugar that the body can't utilize the way it uses glucose. Some meters (for instance, accu chek meters) can't tell the difference between maltose and glucose and give a high reading but since the body doesn't use the maltose, if your blood sugar is 198 but your blood glucose is 67, correcting that blood sugar can kill you. There have been at least 3 deaths reported for this reason.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2845013/
    http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/...0304_fm-3.html
    Last edited by TheFormerLantusFiend; 01-11-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by LantusFiend View Post
    I know very little about Kawasaki's disease but I want to make sure that you know that the IVIG treatments can interfere with some glucose meters and cause them to give falsely elevated results. I was literally reading about deaths caused by reliance on such meters not five minutes ago. The solution with IVIG contains maltose, a sugar that the body can't utilize the way it uses glucose. Some meters (for instance, accu chek meters) can't tell the difference between maltose and glucose and give a high reading but since the body doesn't use the maltose, if your blood sugar is 198 but your blood glucose is 67, correcting that blood sugar can kill you. There have been at least 3 deaths reported for this reason.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2845013/
    I'm pretty sure that the Accu Chek meter does now distinguish. There were little leaflets in the top of the boxes of strips for a while saying that they had been changes so that they could now be used by people who had maltose in their bloodstream for some reason.
    EMMA - 21
    MM523 since august 2012

twitter @emm142

Quote Originally Posted by emm142 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Accu Chek meter does now distinguish. There were little leaflets in the top of the boxes of strips for a while saying that they had been changes so that they could now be used by people who had maltose in their bloodstream for some reason.
    Maybe in the UK, but mine still say no, and the accu chek website says: https://www.accu-chek.com/us/peritoneal_alert.html

According to Baxter's website on glucose meters, the accu chek aviva meters can use two different test strips, one of which will give glucose specific readings and the other that doesn't. Maybe the glucose specific strips are sold in the UK or something.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by LantusFiend View Post
    Maybe in the UK, but mine still say no, and the accu chek website says: https://www.accu-chek.com/us/peritoneal_alert.html

According to Baxter's website on glucose meters, the accu chek aviva meters can use two different test strips, one of which will give glucose specific readings and the other that doesn't. Maybe the glucose specific strips are sold in the UK or something.
    How bizarre - you'd think thay they'd want to have the safest produxt available in the US. But perhaps they're just caught up with the FDA.
    EMMA - 21
    MM523 since august 2012

twitter @emm142