advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sites and Swimming

Default Sites and Swimming

DD will be swimming for the first time since pump start after school today, and I am worried about the site coming off.

Would like to hear from others whether this has ever been an issue. The pool that she is going to, I believe has 'salt' water, not sure if it would have chlorine as well. She is using the inset II today. Will the chlorine/salt from the pool cause the site to come off? At times, even without swimming, we find the adhesive peels up around the edges. They seem to still stay on but just looks like it's about to come off. I have heard the IV3000 is not useful in the pool. Any tips?
    mom to Ashley, our one and only precious child
    dx'd T1D April 30, 2011 at almost 8 years old
    Humulin N and Humalog until Nov 13, 2011
    Animas PING with NovoRapid Nov 14, 2011 to present

Quote Originally Posted by ashtensmom View Post
    DD will be swimming for the first time since pump start after school today, and I am worried about the site coming off.

Would like to hear from others whether this has ever been an issue. The pool that she is going to, I believe has 'salt' water, not sure if it would have chlorine as well. She is using the inset II today. Will the chlorine/salt from the pool cause the site to come off? At times, even without swimming, we find the adhesive peels up around the edges. They seem to still stay on but just looks like it's about to come off. I have heard the IV3000 is not useful in the pool. Any tips?
    Personally, I've never, ever had a site come off whilst swimming (even with 5+ hours in the pool). But you should bring a spare site just in case. If it does fall off, just put a new one in. I hope she has a great time!
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

I use IV3000 to cover sites at the beach to prevent sand and salt water from getting in, and it always worked really well. I really don't use it to prevent the site from coming off, though...never had a problem with that...and he's been 2 summers at the pool with the pump. We used IVPrep to swab the skin before site insertion, and that always provided a little extra stickiness. For LOTS of stickiness, SkinTac is like GLUE for us...so much so that we are going back to IVPrep. SkinTac makes it really hard to peel the site off. If you want extra reassurance in the pool next time she swims, I think that's the way to go.

My son does wear a "patch" that provides medication for his ADHD (like those stop smoking patches. I do put an IV3000 over that patch to keep it from coming off while swimming...and it's never peeled off.

Good luck! Hope she has a great time!
    Julie
    Mom to Rachel, 13 yrs old; Joey, 10 yrs old; Daniel, 8 yrs old, dx 9/08 (One Touch Ping, 11/09) and dx ADHD 12/10
    Aunt to adult nieces Samantha, dx at 2 yrs old; and Abby, dx at age 25
    [/COLOR]

We use half a strip of Tegaderm or Opsite Flexifix taped over the bottom half of the site leaving the part where you clip in free so that you can connect and disconnect without removing the tape - that has kept his site on for several days when he's been in the pool for hours on end. For just an hour in the pool she will probably get away without tape.
    Jacky
    Oscar, 13, dx 11/18/09, Pumping since 6/21/10
    Animas Vibe with integrated Dexcom and Dexcom standalone receiver, Apidra, Comforts since April 1st 2014
    Minimed VEO with integrated CGM, Apidra and Silhouettes 06/10-03/14

We use IV3000 over the site while swimming. It usually will stay on just fine. We disconnect from the pump.
    Wendy

Walking to Cure on November 2nd, 2013!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]Mom to McKenna, 13 years old, dx'd 12/7/09 (9 yrs);
    7/6/10; PINGing with Novolog

Thanks everyone. We will just go 'as is' today and see what happens. As always, I will have an extra inset with me. It's not so much 'during' swimming that I am worried about, but the day or so after, as we just put the site on yesterday and wonder if the swimming would cause it to come off in the next day or so (especially tomorrow and while in school, KWIM). I would like to get away with not using 'skin tac' if it is like glue as she is sooo sensitive to removal of any kind of adhesive (even with using "remove").

We plan to give her a light snack and bolus for 1/2 the carbs and then unhook her for the swimming. Hope that works out because I know from previous swim classes, the kids sit on the egde of the pool for at least 2/3 of the swim class
    mom to Ashley, our one and only precious child
    dx'd T1D April 30, 2011 at almost 8 years old
    Humulin N and Humalog until Nov 13, 2011
    Animas PING with NovoRapid Nov 14, 2011 to present

My ds has never lost a site due to swimming, he has gone to waterparks for an entire day and spent hour upon hour in the pool in the summer and hasn't had a site fall off due to prolonged exposure to water.

Jen, Mom to
    Tyler 14 dxd at 6 (7/8/05)
    Pumping with Green Ping 11/09
    Lantus for basal
    CGM - Dexcom G4
    Minimed 722/CGMS 12/08 - 6/09
    Currently playing Hockey
    & Lilly non -d 7 my soccer playing, dancing drama queen

Always keep in mind, everyone is different, and most of the time solutions come after much trial and error

IT IS WHAT IT IS....

We use IVprep and otherwise apply the set as usual during the summer swimming season. My son is a water bug and we don't have any real problems. If anything happens at all, the site starts to peel up around the edges.
    Jim
    Jack, born 1/2005 with T1D, dX 2/09
    Pumping with Animas Ping/Novolog
    Last A1c 1/24/12 5.9
    Elizabeth 3/97 & Christina 10/01 not diabetic

During the summer with lots of swimming we use skin tac before applying the site. The best thing we have found is vet wrap. It's a bandage that only sticks to itself ( almost like an ace bandage ) we do pump sites on the back of his arms s before getting in the pool we disconnect and wrap the top of his arm with the wrap. This stuff is great it won't budge and the site will hardly even be wet.
    Lisa-Dx celiac Nov. 2009
    Mommy to James dx-Feb. 8th 2009 at 21 months. Pumping with the animas ping! Dx celiac Oct. 20 2009
    Mommy to Mikaella non-d- 5 years old. Celiac dx May 2010

When we've been swimming in the pool or ocean, a large water-proof band-aid over the site has always worked for us.

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, Pumping with MM