advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science fair project

Default Science fair project

My son is doing a science fair project and he is going to do it on how exercise affects blood sugar. Can you guys give me any ideas on what we should do. We will have Taylor test and exercise but should we also do a non diabetic and an adult? Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA
    Jennie Mom to 3 kids
    Ben 1/11/02
    Taylor 1/24/04 Type 1 diagnosed 6/13/11pumping pink ping 4/2
    Brianna 7/23/06

He needs to come up with a hypothesis and then test it, and then make a conclusion based on the data that he receives.

Testing a non-diabetic would depend on what hypothesis he has come up with.

The more specific the hypothesis, the easier it will be. So instead of "how exercise affects blood sugar"' maybe something more like...

1. Exercise lowers (raises) blood sugars in type 1 diabetics.
    2. Exercise lowers blood sugars in non-diabetics.
    3. Aerobic exercise lowers blood sugar more (less) than anaerobic exercise in type 1 diabetics.
    4. Strenuous exercise (by heart rate measurements) lowers blood sugar more (less) than light exercise, etc

These are just off the top of my head. The problem with a exercise, blood sugar experiment if that its going to be difficult to manage all the variables.

Good luck!
    ~Sara~
    Mom to 5 boys (11, 9, 6, 4, 2)
    Owen - dob July 2009 (dx 9/13/10 at 13 months)
    Animas Ping 11/12/10, Apidra
    DEXCOM 12/9/10

Quote Originally Posted by jbmom1b2g View Post
    My son is doing a science fair project and he is going to do it on how exercise affects blood sugar. Can you guys give me any ideas on what we should do. We will have Taylor test and exercise but should we also do a non diabetic and an adult? Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA
    I think that using a non-d child as a control would be a good idea. I'd be interested in seeing if there blood sugar drops or changes after activity too. Will you have the subjects eat something before the activity? If so, would fast acting carbs or slow protein ones be better? What type of exercise will he do and for how long? I was thinking jumping jacks or skipping rope are both good, high intesity exercises that may drop blood sugars rather quickly.
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

We were told, but I've not seen the evidence, that short periods of moderate exercise raises BG. We all agree that longer periods lowers BG.

You could test to see if that is true. You could postulate that if it is true, then maybe there is a time greater than the time required to raise BG, and less than the time to lower BG that you can exercise and not affect BG. Then set out to see if that is true and find the time and exercise level.
    Jim
    Jack, born 1/2005 with T1D, dX 2/09
    Pumping with Animas Ping/Novolog
    Last A1c 1/24/12 5.9
    Elizabeth 3/97 & Christina 10/01 not diabetic

Thumbs up

The hypothesis is the determining factor. We are looking at this for our science fair as well this year because my son is very unpredictable when it comes to activity and BG levels even with the same activity, time of day and intensity. We may also use video games because they cause him to sky rocket.

His potential hypothesis is this, right now,: Blood glucose levels will decrease with moderate intensity exercise sustained for 20 minutes. Moderate will be defined as being able to say the alphabet with slight breathlessness during the activity. (Easier for a 10 year old to do than take a pulse during activity, even easier for his 8 year old brother to help with)

He plans on using his non D brother as the control.

They will use 3 different types of activity: the elliptical, jogging and stair climbing.

They will test before, after and 15 min after to look for a delayed response.

His other hypothesis is that 30 minutes of computer/video game use will raise blood glucose levels.

Again his brother is the control.

They will play a computer game, play the Wii and PS3.

Tests the same as for the exercise.

Thanks for the ideas. I cant wait to see what we find out doing this.
    Jennie Mom to 3 kids
    Ben 1/11/02
    Brianna 7/23/06

I didn't read the other responses, but my son was the subject for his best friend's science project this year.

Basically, they tested to see what sugar would bring his BG up the fastest. They tested glucose tabs, skittles, starburst and M&Ms.

Of course, M&Ms came in last and it was a great way to educate people on Science Night. So many think people think any sugar will do, but we know there's a difference!
    Tracy
    Mom of Matthew: Brave 11-year-old, diagnosed 3-5-10

Omnipod 12-15-10

Let all that I am praise the Lord; With my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Psalm 103:1

Daily Doctor Mom is my website for moms who have children with medical needs.

Here is my diabetes blog Our New Adventure.

Here are my boys!

This is kind of out in left field and your son may be fine with it, but the times that I have checked myself (for different reasons), Danielle has made comments like, "aww, 90, you are so lucky!" or "you are always in range, I wish I didn't have diabetes". Each child has their own temperment but something to just keep in the back of your mind after the experiment is over.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    This is kind of out in left field and your son may be fine with it, but the times that I have checked myself (for different reasons), Danielle has made comments like, "aww, 90, you are so lucky!" or "you are always in range, I wish I didn't have diabetes". Each child has their own temperment but something to just keep in the back of your mind after the experiment is over.
    Will keep that in mind. Thanks
    Jennie Mom to 3 kids
    Ben 1/11/02
    Brianna 7/23/06

How about seeing what different types of exercise do to blood sugar? For a control experiment, he could test an hour apart with no activity a few times (basal test!) and/or test twice in a row (to see how consistant his blood sugars and/or meter readings are) and then he could do an hour of walking, biking, playing a video game, doing homework, skateboarding, shoveling snow- whatever he comes up with.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13