advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mini-dose glucagon product in development?

Default New mini-dose glucagon product in development?

I was taking the Diabtribe survey yesterday and there was a question that talked about a new product for treating lows -- a mini-dose glucagon that would be delivered in a pen, like insulin pens, where you could precisely dose for lows in place of eating sugar. They described the product and then asked how likely we'd be to buy it and how often we would potentially use it.

It sounds interesting. It'd be great to give our kids a shot in the night when they're low and not have to wake them to give them sugar. They also seem to be targeting it towards people concerned about weight gain from extra calories from treating lows.

Has anyone heard of this product? I wonder if it's really coming out and if so, when it would be available.

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 14-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook

sounds interesting, but my question would be storage of the gulcagon mixed. If I remember right the info for glucagon says it is good in a mixed state for 24 hours before it starts to break down. It would be interesting to see the stats on this new product to see if/how they overcome that.

To answer the original question though I would love the product, as tonight I think its going to be one of those nights where we are low all night no matter what we do, 35g uncovered brought us up 5 whole points over 90 minutes, lol
    Dad to Olivia, who is 6 and Dix Type 1 Oct 21, 2009. Currently use Medtronic 523 and CGM and lots and lots of meter checks!

I filled out a survey about it last year. Here's a CWD thread about it from about a year and a half ago: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...ad.php?t=55141

Here's an article about why it's not on the market yet: http://asweetlife.org/a-sweet-life-s...t-to-be/19238/

Basically, they have a product, but it still needs to pass FDA screenings, and that will take money the company does not have. They are using a type of glucagon that is being used in Europe that has not been approved here.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Ok, I may be mis-understanding here, but I thought the OP was referring to a pen like set-up (a la humalog or novalog pen) that would allow us as parents to dose 1, 2, 22, 222 units of glucagon to correct a low versus ingesting carbs for like overnight lows.

I have seen the glucagon emergency pen (love it btw and want one now) but I believe that delivers a set dose just as an epi pen does, so I thought we were talking about two different products. The Glucapen from what I have read still has the products separate and mixed just before injection. For a mini injection pen to work I would imagine it would have to be a stable form of liquid glucagon, which I think is part of the problem getting a full closed loop working as it is not stable longterm like insulin.
    Dad to Olivia, who is 6 and Dix Type 1 Oct 21, 2009. Currently use Medtronic 523 and CGM and lots and lots of meter checks!

This is like a novopen. I can't remember how the question was structured -- there were a ton of questions on the survey -- but they usually ask a series of questions about what would be important in a product. One question asked if it were important that it last for a month or more. Come to think of it, maybe it was one of those ranking questions, where you drag items in order of importance.

This isn't an emergency product. You'd carry it around with you and dose for lows -- kind of like a manual AP. You could give yourself a precise dose based on your BG number in place of popping a glucose tablet.

OmniPod since 7/09

Facebook

My kid would rather eat 400 tabs than get a shot. It would be a complete nonstarter here.

I don't know... on the face of it it's not very attractive. Why would I want to tax my kid's liver's glucose supply ( which, as far as I know, is unmeasurable) to treat a run of the mill low when a 60 calorie juice box and maybe a reduced basal rate might do the same?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

It's probably going to be targeted to adult and teen T1's who are worried about gaining weight. I'm only guessing based on the description and the questions that were asked. This product could be in development now or one of the companies may have been trying to float the idea to see how people react.

Is anyone else in the Diatribe survey group? They ask a lot of questions. Every so often, there's a good one. I loved when they gave a list the diabetes product companies and let you choose one then write as long a note as you wanted to the CEO. They couldn't guarantee that the CEO would read it, but they said there was a pretty good chance! Usually, though, they're just gathering info about products for the companies. It's nice to be able to give feedback.

OmniPod since 7/09

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    I don't know... on the face of it it's not very attractive. Why would I want to tax my kid's liver's glucose supply ( which, as far as I know, is unmeasurable) to treat a run of the mill low when a 60 calorie juice box and maybe a reduced basal rate might do the same?
    That's really how the AP is supposed to work -- a reservoir of insulin and one of glucagon to balance BG. Though I don't hear that much anymore now that they're calling the integrated pump/CGM the AP.

OmniPod since 7/09

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by buggle View Post
    That's really how the AP is supposed to work -- a reservoir of insulin and one of glucagon to balance BG. Though I don't hear that much anymore now that they're calling the integrated pump/CGM the AP.
    I do wish they would drop the whole "AP" thing and just call it a "closed loop pump" it would be so much more honest. And don't forget, it may well be two sensors, not just one ...
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS